By the Division of Professional Licensure

How do I request an application?

For an application, please call the Board at:
(617) 727-3080 or e-mail, or print the application form found in the applications and forms section of this site.


What examinations are required for licensing?

The North American Veterinary Licensing Exam (NAVLE) and State Jurisprudence Examination.


How frequently is the NAVLE offered?

The NAVLE will be available during testing windows. Please contact the Board for dates.


If I have already passed NBE and CCT, or if I did not pass either the NBE or CCT, do I still need to take the NAVLE?

If you have taken and passed the NBE and CCT, then you do not need to take the NAVLE. However, if you have not passed both exams, then you would need to take the NAVLE.


I have already taken and passed the National Exams. Do I have to wait until the testing windows to take the State Jurisprudence Examination?

No. The State Jurisprudence Examination is a take home exam included with the application. The exam must be returned to the Board with the completed application.


What is Reciprocity?

Reciprocity is for candidates who have either been licensed in another state or have already taken and passed the National Board Exam and Clinical Competency Test, or the NAVLE.


When does the license expire?

Every year on February 28.


Is Continuing Education required?

Yes. On October 26, 2002 a bill was signed by the Governor allowing continuing education as a requirement of renewal. Please see CMR 256 § 9 under the Rules and Regulations section of this site to see the specific requirements.


Recommended Content

People also viewed...

You recently viewed...

Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.

Learn more on our .

*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.