Latest update includes:
- Funds Availability Checking for Pay Period Ending 8/10/2013
- Federal Grant Revenues
- FY2014-07: FY2013 4th Quarter PPD Statistics Reports and FY2014 PPD Opportunities
- FY2014-06: FY2014 and FY2013 (Revised) Treasury State Agreements
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 1
- MMARS Unavailable Saturday
- Purge of Rejected Documents over 75 Days Old
- Close/Open Key Dates August 10 - 17
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Data Analysis
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Processing Payments After Entering a CEC
Funds Availability Checking for Pay Period Ending 8/10/2013
For FY2014 payroll charges, the Funds Availability process will enforce the usual rules for all Account Types except 4FN.
Payroll Holds are required for all FY2013 payroll charges. When submitting a Payroll Hold, departments must include a justification as a comment and enter 2013 for Budget Fiscal Year, 2013 for Fiscal Year, and 13 for the Accounting Period in the Header.
Federal Grant Revenues
Departments should use the attached template to identify federal grant (Fund 0100) revenues that posted in FY2014 but should be used to reimburse FY2013 expenditures. Please contact Andrew Richardson of the Federal Grants and Cost Allocation Bureau at (617) 973-2456 with any questions.
FY2014-07: FY2013 4th Quarter PPD Statistics Reports and FY2014 PPD Opportunities
CTR Memo FY2014-07 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. This memo provides CFOs and MMARS Liaisons with updated information on the Prompt Payment Discount program and continues to support departments to pursue further growth in discounts. The departments’ utilization of the Commonwealth’s Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) program during FY2013 was excellent with more opportunities for agencies to increase discount earnings in fiscal year 2014.
FY 2014-06: FY2014 and FY2013 (Revised) Treasury State Agreements
CTR Memo FY2014-06 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. This memo advises departments of the FY2014 and FY2013 revised annual Treasury-State Agreements (TSA) between the U.S. Department of the Treasury, Financial Management Service and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 1
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 1 (July), FY2014 will be run this Saturday, August 10. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 1 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
MMARS Unavailable Saturday
MMARS will be unavailable on Saturday, August 10 due to regularly scheduled system processing.
Purge of Rejected Documents over 75 Days Old
Rejected documents in the system accumulate in the document catalog and are removed in a regularly scheduled monthly purge of documents over 75 days old. The next purge will occur on August 15 and will delete rejected documents entered before June 1. If you have documents entered before June 1 that you would like to save, please place them on "hold".
To place a document on "hold":
- Locate the document in the Document Catalog.
- Check the checkbox to the left of the document (in the Document Catalog).
- Click "Action Menu", select "Scheduling Actions", select "Mark Document" and choose "Hold".
Close/Open Key Dates July August 10 – 17
August 12, Monday
- Last date to enter Accounts Payable payroll for pay period ending 8/10/2013.
August 14, Wednesday
- All event type PR 22 for CEC/GAEC must be offset.
August 16, Friday
- Final day to complete reconciliation of NGA208W.
Fiscal staff should review all documentation and reconciliations for unusual entries or deviations from programmatic purposes. Check for corrections and amounts that appear too high or low; flag and review all management overrides; spot check for round numbers or multiple payments in same cycle for same amount/same recipient (absent a lease or recurring payment).
Utilize the following DocDirect reports:
- NGA 341S Report for Spending (weekly)
- NAR402SD for Cash Receipt Details (daily)
- NAR403BD for Lock Box Receipts Details (daily)
- NAR405S for Revenue Transaction Level Details (weekly)
- NMF580W for MMARS User Activity (monthly)
- NMF581W for Verification of Segregation of Duties (monthly)
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, August 9, 1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M., Online Training
- Accounts Receivable for Beginners – Tuesday, August 13, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Wednesday, August 14, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Encumbrance Management – Thursday, August 15, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Thursday, August 15, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Appropriation Management – Tuesday, August 20, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- CIW Report Building with MS Access – Thursday, August 22, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Processing Payments After Entering a CEC
When processing a payment after entering a Credit Memo (CEC, GAEC) do not check “single payment” on the vendor line. Checking “single payment” will prevent the credit from reducing the next payment.