Latest update includes:
- FY2014-14: Security Officer Review - Statewide Enterprise Systems Security
- FY2014-13: FY2014 1st Quarter PPD Statistics Reports
- MMARS Chargeback
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Embezzlement
- Payroll User Group Meeting Wednesday, December 4
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week - Checking for the Existence of Rules
FY2014-14: Security Officer Review - Statewide Enterprise Systems Security
CTR Memo FY2014-14 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. Enterprise systems provide access to sensitive data and allow users to process transactions. Annually, Department Security Officers are asked to review individuals that have access to these systems to ensure that they have correct and appropriate access.
FY2014-13: FY2014 1st Quarter PPD Statistics Reports
CTR Memo FY2014-13 has been posted to the CTR Website. This memo provides CFOs and MMARS Liaisons with updated information on the Prompt Payment Discount program, and continues to support departments in pursuing further growth in discount earnings being achieved by departments.
The second FY2014 billing for the Office of the Comptroller's MMARS Chargeback to support the operation of the Financial Accounting and Reporting System for the Commonwealth has been entered. Billings are sent bi-monthly. This billing is for actual usage based on transaction lines posted to the general ledger for the months of September and October. The document ID is: CTRMMARS14CHARSEPOCT.
Buyers are required to make payment on undisputed bills within 30 days from receipt of an ITI by completing an ITA (Internal Transaction Agreement).
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available on Saturday, November 23, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, November 25.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Embezzlement
Marquet International conducts an annual white collar fraud study on major embezzlements (over $100k).
. Over the past five years (2008 -2012) their analysis has shown the following:
- Embezzlers begin their schemes in their early 40s.
- Average major embezzlement spans 4.7 years.
- Embezzlers are most likely to be individuals who hold bookkeeping or finance positions.
- Women are more likely to embezzle than men.
- Men embezzle significantly higher amounts than women.
- Vast majority of embezzlements are caused by sole perpetrators.
- 4.5% of major embezzlers have prior criminal histories.
- Most common embezzlement scheme involved forgery or unauthorized use of company checks.
View the full report here: http://www.marquetinternational.com/pdf/the_2012_marquet_report_on_embezzlement.pdf
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email at Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Payroll User Group Meeting Wednesday, December 4
The next Payroll User Group Meeting will be held at: Wednesday, December 4, 9:30 A.M. to 12:30 P.M., 21st Floor Conference Room, One Ashburton Place, Boston.
Agenda items will include: COMECC, State Retirement – New MARIS System, MassHR, Affordable Care Act, Year End Business, 2014 Payroll Processing, Metro, and Smart Plan.
In the spirit of the holiday season, we will once again be holding a food drive at the December Payroll User Group meeting. If you would like to contribute, please bring a non-perishable canned or dry good to the meeting. The food donations will be given to the Emergency Food Pantry at The Paulist Center, Park Street, Boston. This local food pantry is open to all in need and donations are greatly appreciated.
- CIW Report Building with MS Excel – Monday, November 25, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Quarterly Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, December 4, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 21st Floor Meeting Room
- Webcast Quarterly Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, December 4, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., Online Training
- Encumbrance Management – Thursday, December 5, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Thursday, December 5, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, December 6, 11:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., Online Training
- LCM Management – Monday, December 9, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Vendor Management – Tuesday, December 10, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Wednesday, December 11, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Introduction to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, December 12, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Webcast Interdepartmental Chargebacks– Friday, December 13, 11:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., Online Training
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Checking for the Existence of Rules
Before submitting a rules request (POAA or PALT document), check to see if the rule is already in place.
For Position Authorized Accounting rules, go to the Position Authorized Accounting Information (PAUTH) page in LCM. Enter the 3-character Department code as the search criteria. Remember that a space in the Unit field means that rule applies to all Units and that asterisks (*) in the Position Number field means that the rule applies to all Positions.
By default, the PAUTH page lists only the rules currently in effect. It may be necessary to click on “Complete Timeline” if adjustments for past payrolls are being processed and it is necessary to see what rules were in effect at the time of the original payroll charges.
For Alternate Account rules, go to the Payroll Alternate Accounting Information (PAYA) page in LCM. Enter the Fiscal Year and the 3-character Department code as search criteria.