Latest update includes:
- Statutory Receivable Reporting Deadline Tomorrow
- Post September Roll and Lapse September 4
- New Intercept Web Application (Release 2.0)
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Periods 13 and 2
- MMARS Unavailable Saturday
- Close/Open Key Dates September 7-14
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Federal Funds
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Copy a Document ID and Paste it into Another Document
Statutory Receivable Reporting Deadline Tomorrow
Departments must enter the final report for Statutory Accounts Receivable in PartnerNet by the end of the day tomorrow, Friday September 6th. The final Statutory Receivable Reports will be run this weekend.
Post September Roll and Lapse September 4
The Roll/Lapse process was successfully implemented on Labor Day weekend. Departments should review the MMARS Document Catalog for any CTs that rejected during the roll. These will have a Create User ID of ‘ROLLID’, a Phase of “Draft” and a Create Date between 8/31-9/02.
Departments must not delete these Draft versions but should review the error messages and, if possible, make the required corrections. Departments should not change Commodity or Accounting line amounts. Correct only the accounting detail errors (appropriations, program details, etc.) Depending on the number of rejects and severity of the errors, CTR will be contacting individual departments with specific instructions for correcting their rejects. If you have any questions or need assistance with your corrections, please send an email with your department 3-digit code and “SEPT ROLL REJECT” in the Subject to Comptroller.email@example.com.
New Intercept Web Application (Release 2.0)
The Office of the Comptroller (CTR) is pleased to announce the upcoming release of an all-new version of the Commonwealth Intercept Web Application. New hardware, software, and feature enhancements will optimize security, usability, convenience, and reporting. Release 2.0 will be rolled out in the Fall of 2013. Functional features maintained in Release 2.0 include web-based file transfer, downloadable offset data and reports, and same hours of operation. Enhancements to the application incorporate expanding file formats to include both .txt and .xml, comprehensive real-time file error checking notification, no MMARS authorization required. Credentialed users can access from any PC (VPN certificate is no longer required).
Currently, the project team is readying the technical application environment and preparing for the testing phase of application development; and participating departments are being asked to prepare for the transition. CFOs must work with their MMARS Security Officer to complete credentialing in the new release for all users of the existing application by completing the Commonwealth Web Application Security Access Form. This form designates each departmental authorized user and access role and must be returned to CTR by Friday, September 20, 2013.
Once CTR has received the completed paperwork, the department will receive a User Guide and Job Aids to familiarize staff with the new features of Release 2.0. In addition, CTR will be providing upcoming training sessions and webinars to assist departments with technical and functional aspects of the application. Users will learn how to navigate the system, steps to building successful files, and how to access and download reports.
For any questions regarding the new Intercept Web Application (Release 2.0) please contact CTR at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Periods 13 and 2
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 13 (FY2013 Accounts Payable period), will be run this Saturday, September 7. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 13 will be subject to these assessments.
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 2 (August), FY2014 will be run on Saturday, September 14. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 2 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
MMARS Unavailable Saturday
MMARS will be unavailable Saturday, September 7 due to scheduled system processing.
Close/Open Key Dates September 7 – 14
September 7, Saturday
- Fringe, Indirect and Payroll for Tax Period 13 run.
September 13, Friday
- Suspend Automatic Balance Forward Program.
- All rejected Period 13 CAs must be processed to final.
- FY2013 Foundation Reports Run.
Departments, particularly those new to operating or managing federal funds, or those that have an entirely new program or business area, should fully document or update all policies, procedures and processes.
- Employees should receive paper or electronic copies of procedures for their areas of responsibility and be trained in their application.
- Document that all staff involved with federal funds are trained on award requirements.
See the Information Technology Division’s: Information Security Administration,
IT Security Risk Assessment Guidelines regarding the security and confidentiality of personal information.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Encumbrance Management – Tuesday, September 10, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Tuesday, September 10, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, September 11, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 21st Floor Conference Room
- Webcast Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, September 11, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., Online Training
- Vendor Management – Thursday, September 12, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Establishing a Federal Grant in MMARS – Tuesday, September 17, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- HR/CMS Fundamentals – Wednesday, September 18, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Wednesday, September 18, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, September 19, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Risk Management – Tuesday, September 24, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
To copy a Document ID number and past it into another document:
- Highlight the ID number.
- Click the "CTRL" + "C" keys at the same time to copy the Doc ID.
- Click on the field where you are going to paste the Document ID, i.e. the Doc ID field in the Document Catalog.
- Paste the copied Doc ID by clicking the "CTRL" + "V" keys.