Visit Our Website – http://www.mass.gov/osc
Follow us on Twitter @MA_Comptroller
Latest update includes:
- FY2013-20: Areas of Audit Issues from the 2012 Single Audit – Preparation for 2013
- Periodic Allotment
- Purge of Rejected Documents over 75 Days Old
- 2013/2014 Close/Open News
- MMARS Saturday and Holiday Hours
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Red Flags for Minority Business Enterprise/Disadvantaged Business Enterprise or Women Business Enterprise Fraud
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Major Program Table
FY2013-20: Areas of Audit Issues from the 2012 Single Audit – Preparation for 2013
CTR Memo FY2013-20 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. The Commonwealth’s FY2012 Single Audit has been completed. This year we have noted fewer recurring themes to the findings prepared by KPMG LLP, the independent audit firm. These are described below to allow departments to consider whether changes are needed in preparation for the FY2013 Single Audit, which will be starting soon.
On or about Tuesday, April 16, the Executive Office for Administration and Finance will process the ninth periodic allotment of FY2013 to increase the expenditure ceiling in budgetary accounts to 91.67% (a one-month allotment).
The final scheduled periodic allotment for fiscal year 2013 will be on or about May 13. Agency staff are asked to make ANF budget analysts aware of any requested ad hoc allotments as soon as possible to ensure that it can be reviewed by ANF staff in a timely fashion.
Purge of Rejected Documents over 75 Days Old
Rejected documents in the system accumulate in the document catalog and are removed in a regularly scheduled monthly purge of documents over 75 days old. The next purge will occur on April 16 and will delete rejected documents entered before February 1. If you have documents entered before February 1 that you would like to save, please place them on "hold".
To place a document on "hold":
- Locate the document in the Document Catalog.
- Check the checkbox to the left of the document (in the Document Catalog).
- Click "Action Menu", select "Scheduling Actions", select "Mark Document" and choose "Hold".
Annual Close/Open Meeting Dates
The Comptroller of the Commonwealth Annual Close/Open meetings have been scheduled for:
- Thursday, April 25th from 9:30 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. at the Federal Reserve Bank in Boston.
- Thursday, May 2nd from 9:30 A.M. to 11:30 P.M. at the annual MASSbuys EXPO at the DCU Center in Worcester. If you plan on attending the Close/Open session May 2nd, you must also register for the MASSbuys EXPO.
This session will also be webcast live for those who cannot attend in person.
Chief Fiscal Officers (CFO) and staff with fiscal responsibilities are encouraged to attend the annual Close/Open meeting. Please register for the in-person meetings or webcast on the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule. If you plan on attending the Close/Open session May 2nd, you must also register for the MASSbuys EXPO.
MASSbuys Workshop - Debt Collection Management: Balances Matter
Join the Comptroller’s General Accounting Bureau for a workshop at MASSbuys designed to provide attendees with an overview of the payments and collections process, overall effective debt management best practices, and Statewide Contract PRF55DesignatedOSC - Debt Collection Services. The 60-minute session will deliver a comprehensive summary of improving the financial performance of the Commonwealth through identification of and prevention of improper payments, effective receivables management, and aggressive collection of delinquent debt.
The workshop is from 1:15 PM - 2:15 PM in Meeting Room B on Level 3. Be sure to register for the MASSbuys EXPO and signup for the workshop today.
In addition, visit the Comptroller’s exhibit booth (located in the DCU Atrium across from registration) #02A to learn more about agency programs, services, and upcoming training opportunities.
Keynote Speakers at MASSbuys
The Operational Services Division’s (OSD) MASSbuys team is pleased to announce the keynote speakers for the 15th Anniversary EXPO. Speakers include: the Inspector General of the Commonwealth, Glenn Cunha; the Director of the Governor's Western Massachusetts Office, Elizabeth Cardona; Assistant Secretary for Operational Services Division, Gary Lambert; and the Comptroller of the Commonwealth, Martin Benison. OSD is very proud to have such esteemed guests speaking at their 15th Anniversary event.
MMARS Saturday and Holiday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, April 13, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Tuesday, April 16.
MMARS and LCM will be available on Patriots Day, Monday, April 15, from 7 A.M. - 7 P.M. Normal LCM and financial cycles will be run. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any holiday Help Desk calls will be returned on Tuesday, April 16.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Red Flags for Minority Business Enterprise/Disadvantaged Business Enterprise or Women Business Enterprise Fraud
Under this scheme, a contractor misrepresents who performed the contract work in order to increase job profit while appearing to be in compliance with contract goals for involvement of minority (MBE), disadvantaged (DBE) or women (WBE) businesses in accordance with Executive Order 390, General Laws Chapter 7, Section 40N and 49CFR parts 23 and 26.
These indicators include, but are not limited to:
- A business owner lacking background, expertise, or equipment to perform sub-contract work.
- A situation where employees are shuttling back and forth between prime contractor and a MBE/WBE/DBE business’ payrolls.
- Business names on equipment and vehicles have temporary signage covering the legal owner which is not a certified MBE/WBE /DBE.
- Orders and payment for necessary supplies made by individuals who are not employed by MBE/ WBE/DBE owned business.
- A prime contractor facilitated purchase of MBE/WBE/DBE business.
Additional red flags for Minority Business Enterprise/Disadvantaged Business Enterprise or Women Business Enterprise Fraud can be found in the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Webcast Interdepartmental Chargebacks – Friday, April 12, 1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M., Online Training
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Wednesday, April 17, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Wednesday, April 17, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Recurring Payments for Beginners – Thursday, April 18, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Risk Management – Friday, April 19, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Appropriation Management – Wednesday, April 24, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Close/Open Meeting – Thursday, April 25, 9:30 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. Federal Reserve Bank, 600 Atlantic Ave., Boston
- CIW Report Building with MS Access – Tuesday, April 30, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Wednesday, May 1, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Close/Open Meeting – Thursday, May 2, 9:30 A.M. – 11:30 A.M. DCU Center Worceste, Grand Ballroom South, 3rd Floor
- Webcast Close/Open Meeting – Thursday, May 2, 9:30 A.M. – 11:30 A.M. online training
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next three months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Major Program Table
The Major Program Table in MMARS contains the Federal Grant appropriation in the "Major Program Short Name" field. Please note this does not apply to Major Programs used with Capital Accounts. The Program (PROG) table in MMARS will list all the valid programs for each Major Program.