Latest update includes:
- ANF Deadline for Fiscal Year 2014 Encumbrances
- Departmental Budgets Changes due April 24
- MMARS 3.9 Upgrade News
- MMARS Saturday and Holiday Hours
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Findings from KPMG’s 2013 Integrity Survey
- Revised “Reconciling a Federal Grant” Class Session Added May 15
- One Week Left to Register for the Massbuys EXPO
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week - Specifying the Scope of a Rule
- Executive Departments/Agencies must finalize encumbering activities for budgetary accounts that total $25,000 or more by Friday, May 9.
- For late encumbrances (encumbrance activity after May 9), Executive Departments/Agencies are required to seek ANF approval before encumbering funds that total $25,000 or more in budgetary accounts.
Please refer to the ANF Fiscal Year 2014 Encumbrances memo generated to Executive Secretariat and Department Chief Fiscal Officers on April 10, 2014 for more information.
Departmental Budgets Changes due April 24
Departments should notify Bryan Hightower, Budgetary Unit Manager in the Comptroller’s General Accounting Bureau, by April 24 if they want their departmental budgets to roll from FY2014 to FY2015. Departments that plan to utilize Departmental Budgets must review the department's chart of account set-up needs and if necessary, request changes for FY2015. Changes to the Chart of Accounts (COA) must be in by April 24 to be included in the automatic table roll performed by CTR. After the roll, changes can still be made but must be entered in MMARS for both FY2014 and FY2015. Departments should submit changes to unit or unit roll-up via the table change request process by April 24.
After the departmental budget roll, departments must review all of their departmental budgets prior to encumbering. For those accounts with both subsidiarized and non-subsidiarized departmental budget structures, the department must select the appropriate departmental budget structure and delete the erroneous one.
Departments that use departmental budgets should not change the rollups of division and district on existing units. Such changes cause payment disbursement problems and create budget out-of-sync conditions.
Remember departmental revenue (BQ85) and expense (BQ83 and BQ84) budgets MUST be established before any FY2015 activity is processed. Departments that maintain departmental budgets (BQ 83, 84 and 85) should determine whether they want to roll those budgets into FY2015. If a department will not budget at the same level in FY2015, please notify Bryan Hightower (617-973-2324) by April 24, 2014.
MMARS 3.9 Upgrade News
The MMARS 3.9 Upgrade is scheduled for Memorial Day Weekend, May 24 through May 26, with the 3.9 system coming up live on Tuesday May 27. View this weeks “MMARS Monday” news bulletin. MMARS Monday is sent each Monday to CFOs and MMARS Liaisons, hosted on our Intranet, and referenced in the eUpdate.
MMARS Saturday and Holiday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, April 19, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Tuesday, April 22.
MMARS and LCM will be available on Patriots Day, Monday, April 21, from 7 A.M. - 7 P.M. Normal LCM and financial cycles will be run. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any holiday Help Desk calls will be returned on Tuesday, April 22.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Findings from KPMG’s 2013 Integrity Survey
KPMG recently issued the 2013 Integrity Survey. In the survey they asked 3,500 employees in the U.S. about fraud and misconduct in their organizations. The survey found:
- 73% reported they observed misconduct in the prior 12 month period.
- 56% reported what they had observed could cause “ a significant loss of public trust if discovered”.
- Propensity to report misconduct to an ethics hotline has increased, yet employee’s willingness to look the other way has also increased.
- Having formal ethics training makes a positive difference. There is a strong correlation between ethics and compliance programs and positive perceptions of behavior.
To learn more about the survey or view the full results click here.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email at Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Revised “Reconciling a Federal Grant” Class Session Added May 15
If you are new to Federal Grants Reconciliation, or just need a refresher, the class was recently updated and focuses on the Automated Central Draw Process, the MMARS tables available for reconciliation, and reporting tools. Due to popular demand we’ve added an additional session on Thursday May 15 from 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM.
Register via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule.
One Week Left to Register for the Massbuys EXPO
Have you registered for the MASSbuys EXPO? If you currently use MMARS you won’t want to miss this year’s MASSbuys EXPO where you will have the opportunity to experience the COMMBUYS “World of the Future” interactive Exhibit. While at the EXPO you will have the opportunity to meet with Statewide Contract Vendors, visit the Government Resource Center and attend 20 professional development workshops including “The Future of COMMBUYS”. This workshop will provide an overview of Phase 2 of the COMMBUYS Market Center including; MMARS Interface, Electronic Invoicing, Electronic Payment, Online Receiving and Matching, Vendor Status Verification, and Contract management coming in the fall of 2014! Learn more at www.mass.gov/osd/massbuys.
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Thursday, April 24, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Close/Open Meeting – Tuesday, May 6, 9:30 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., Federal Reserve Bank, 500 Atlantic Ave, Boston
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, May 8, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Tuesday, May 13, 9:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Close/Open for Beginners – Wednesday, May 14, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Federal Grant Activity Reconciliation – Thursday, May 15, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Close/Open Meeting – Friday, May 16, 9:30 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., UMass Medical School, Amphitheater 3, 55 Lake Ave, North Worcester
- Webcast Close/Open Meeting – Friday, May 16, 9:30 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., Online Meeting
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through 2014.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Specifying the Scope of a Rule
Unless statutory language restricts employee expenditures to specific positions, define POAA rules to apply to all employees assigned to an appropriation whether or not the rule is to be invoked for all employees.
For this type of rule, enter a space in the Unit field and 20 asterisks (*) in the Position Number field in the Position Accounting General Information section of the POAA document.