Latest update includes:
- CTR Memo FY2014-23: Internal Control Questionnaire and Department Representations: Due May 12
- MMARS 3.9 Upgrade News
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – More Findings from KPMG’s 2013 Integrity Survey
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week - NCA495W CMIA Selection Report by Department
CTR Memo FY2014-23: Internal Control Questionnaire and Department Representations: Due May 12
CTR Memo FY2014-23 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. This memo announces the FY2014 Internal Control Questionnaire (ICQ). The ICQ application is located on our intranet site, Comptroller Intranet, under PartnerNet. See the attached Instructions for Completing the FY2014 Internal Control Questionnaire for details. Departments should complete the ICQ on or before May 12. Auditors, and staff from the Comptroller’s Quality Assurance Bureau review ICQ responses and may contact departments to follow up on specific answers. Department management is responsible for implementing and maintaining effective internal controls based on prescribed statutes, regulations, and policies. The ICQ’s Representations Section confirms this for the Commonwealth.
MMARS 3.9 Upgrade News
The MMARS 3.9 Upgrade is scheduled for Memorial Day Weekend, May 24 through May 26, with the 3.9 system coming up live on Tuesday May 27. View this weeks “MMARS Monday” news bulletin. MMARS Monday is sent each Monday to CFOs and MMARS Liaisons, hosted on our Intranet, and referenced in the eUpdate.
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, April 26, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, April 28.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – More Findings from KPMG’s 2013 Integrity Survey
KPMG asked 3500 employees across the U.S. about fraud and misconduct in their organizations. Here are some common types of fraud/misconduct employees observed:
- Breaching computer, network or database controls.
- Entering into contract relationships without proper terms, contracts or approvals.
- Stealing or misappropriating assets.
- Falsifying or manipulating financial reporting information.
- Violating employee wage, overtime or benefit rules.
- Breaching employee privacy.
- Mishandling confidential or propriety information.
- Falsifying time and expense reports.
To learn more about the survey or view the full results click here.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email at Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Close/Open for Beginners Training Session
If the Close/Open procedures are new to you, please register for one of the Close/Open for Beginners trainings:
- Wednesday, May 21, 9 A.M. – 12 P.M.
This session will also be available via webcast.
- Thursday, June 4, 9 A.M. – 12 P.M.
- Thursday, June 12, 1 P.M. – 4 P.M.
All Close / Open for Beginner training sessions will be held in the Training Room on the 9th Floor of One Ashburton Place, Boston. Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training/Meeting Schedule.
If you have any questions please contact the Comptroller Help Desk 617-973-2468 or via email email@example.com.
- Close/Open Meeting – Tuesday, May 6, 9:30 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., Federal Reserve Bank, 500 Atlantic Ave, Boston
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, May 8, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Tuesday, May 13, 9:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Close/Open Meeting – Friday, May 16, 9:30 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., UMass Medical School, Amphitheater 3, 55 Lake Ave, North Worcester
- Webcast Close/Open Meeting – Friday, May 16, 9:30 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., Online Meeting
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through 2014.
MMARS Hint of the Week - NCA495W CMIA Selection Report by Department
The weekly report NCA495W CMIA Selection Report by Department is available in Document Direct to assist departments in reconciling grants. It details the distribution and reference documents selected each week by the Cost Accounting system to be drawn by CTR. It sums the expenditures total for each department by Major Program, appropriation, Program and Sub account. It also allows departments to tie Expenditures to Cash Deposits.
During Accounts Payable Period, a second report, NCA495WP, covering only Accounts Payable activity runs concurrently with the NCA495W.