Visit Our Website – http://www.mass.gov/osc
Follow us on Twitter @MA_Comptroller/p>
Latest update includes:
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 10
- 2013/2014 Close/Open News
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Red Flags for Commodities, Materials, Equipment and Supplies Overcharging
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Access a Recently Viewed Document
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 10
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 10 (April), FY2013 will be run on Saturday, May 4. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 10 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
Close/Open Presentation Posted
The Close/Open Presentation, as well as the Instructions and Key Dates, are available on the Close and Open Information page of the CTR Web Portal.
Parking and Shuttle Service at MASSbuys!
MASSbuys is one week away and we have mapped out a couple different ways of getting to and parking at the DCU Center. For those driving to MASSbuys on May 2, there are three parking garages available where you can have your ticket validated at the OSD booth. These include: Major Taylor Parking Garage at 30 Major Taylor Blvd., Commercial Street Parking at 201 Commercial St., and Union Station Garage at 225 Franklin St. You can also take the Commuter Rail to Worcester from South Station or any town on that rail line. There will be a shuttle service from the train and parking lots to the DCU Center.
April 25 is the last day to pre-register. So, join your peers on Thursday May 2, and register at now: the MASSbuys EXPO website. For all questions email: email@example.com.
Close/Open for Beginners Training Session
If the Close/Open procedures are new to you, please register for one of the Close/Open for Beginners trainings:
- Friday, May 17th 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M.
- Wednesday, May 22nd 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M.
- Wednesday, June 5th 1:30 P.M. – 4:30 P.M.
All Close / Open for Beginner training sessions will be held in the Training Room on the 9th Floor of One Ashburton Place, Boston. Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training/Meeting Schedule.
If you have any questions please contact the Comptroller Help Desk 617-973-2468 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, April 27, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, April 29.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Red Flags for Commodities, Materials, Equipment and Supplies Overcharging
Under this fraud scheme, a contractor misrepresents how much construction and non-construction materials, commodities, equipment and/or supplies were actually used on the job to increase profit.
Some of the red flags for Commodities, Materials, Equipment and Supplies Overcharging are:
- Discrepancies are present between contractor-provided quantity documentation and observed data compared to amounts requisitioned or required.
- A refusal or inability to provide supporting documentation.
- Photocopies of documentation are submitted when originals are expected.
- The contractor resists inspection during the job or delivery process.
- Packing lists, bills of lading, other shipping and receipt records have altered or missing information.
Additional Red Flags for Commodities, Materials, Equipment and Supplies Overcharging can be found in the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- CIW Report Building with MS Access – Tuesday, April 30, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Wednesday, May 1, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Close/Open Meeting – Thursday, May 2, 9:30 A.M. – 11:30 A.M. DCU Center Worcester, Grand Ballroom South, 3rd Floor
- Webcast Close/Open Meeting – Thursday, May 2, 9:30 A.M. – 11:30 A.M. online training
- Encumbrance Management – Tuesday, May 7, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Wednesday, May 8, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, May 9, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Establishing a Federal Grant in MMARS – Tuesday, May 14, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Wednesday, May 15, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- HR/CMS Fundamentals – Thursday, May 16, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, May 17, 10:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M. online training
- Close/Open for Beginners – Friday, May 17, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Access a Recently Viewed Document
To access a document you've recently viewed in MMARS, use the History link on the Secondary Navigation Panel. Please be aware that the History of documents includes only documents viewed during the current MMARS login session.
- Click on "Home" in the primary navigation panel or close out of the document you are in.
- From the Secondary Navigation Panel, click History.
- A list of all documents viewed in this login session displays below the History link.
- Click the appropriate link from the list to access the document.