Visit Our Website – http://www.mass.gov/osc
Follow us on Twitter @MA_Comptroller
Latest update includes:
- Users Advised to NOT UPGRADE to Internet Explorer 9 or 10
- Policy: Transferring Capital Gains Tax Revenues to the Commonwealth Stabilization Fund, The State Retiree Benefits Trust Fund and the Commonwealth’s Pension Liability Fund
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 9
- Annual Close/Open Meeting Dates
- Announcing the 2013 MASSbuys EXPO Educational Workshops
- MMARS Unavailable Saturday
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Red Flags for Conflicts of Interest
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Negative Draw Prevention Report
Users Advised to NOT UPGRADE to Internet Explorer 9 or 10
Users running Internet Explorer may receive a notification through Windows Update about Internet Explorer 9 or 10. If you are prompted for the IE9 or IE10 upgrade through Windows Update, you should choose the “Don’t install” option. Many enterprise applications, including MMARS, are certified to be compatible only with IE 7 and 8.
Please refer to ITD’s Advisory Memorandum - Update regarding Microsoft Windows 7 and Internet Explorer v. 8.0 for additional information. Some users have reported success using IE10 and MMARS if the “InPrivate browsing” in the “tools” section of Internet Explorer is turned on.
Transferring Capital Gains Tax Revenues to the Commonwealth Stabilization Fund, The State Retiree Benefits Trust Fund and the Commonwealth’s Pension Liability Fund
A new MMARS policy Transferring Capital Gains Tax Revenues has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. The Department of Revenue (DOR) and the State Comptroller will follow the steps outlined in this policy with respect to certifying and transferring to the Commonwealth Stabilization Fund, the State Retiree Benefits Trust Fund, and the State Pension Liability Fund capital gains revenues from the personal income tax that exceed an annual threshold.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 9
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 9 (March), FY2013 will be run this Saturday, April 6. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 9 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
Annual Close/Open Meeting Dates
The Comptroller of the Commonwealth Annual Close/Open meetings have been scheduled for:
- Thursday, April 25 from 9:30 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. at the Federal Reserve Bank in Boston.
- Thursday, May 2 from 9:30 A.M. to 11:30 P.M. at the annual MASSbuys Conference at the DCU Center in Worcester. If you plan on attending the Close / Open session May 2, you must also register for the MASSbuys Conference.
This session will also be webcast for those who cannot attend in person.
Chief Fiscal Officers (CFO) and staff with fiscal responsibilities are encouraged to attend the annual Close/Open meeting. Please register for the in person meetings or webcast on the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule. If you plan on attending the Close/Open session May 2, you must also register for the MASSbuys Conference.
Announcing the 2013 MASSbuys EXPO Educational Workshops
One of the many features at MASSbuys is the opportunity to educate. You can learn not only from the more than 350 vendors on Statewide Contracts but also from the 20 Educational Workshops being offered. Whether you are new to procurement and purchasing or a seasoned professional, these sessions will have something to offer you. Featuring leaders in state government from across the Commonwealth, topics include: Productivity Tools for Stress-Free Projects and Contracts, Key Performance Indicators, How to Use Statewide Contracts and many more!
Workshops will be held in the morning beginning at 9:00 A.M. and again in the afternoon at 1:00 P.M. Register now at: MASSbuys Workshop Registration. For complete Educational Workshop descriptions, please visit the MASSbuys Workshop page. If you have any questions, contact: OSDtraining@state.ma.us.
The MASSbuys EXPO is scheduled for May 2, 2013 at the DCU Center in Worcester. Don't miss your opportunity to join over 2500 attendees and exhibitions at the Commonwealth’s largest Business to Government event! To learn more visit our website at www.mass.gov/osd/massbuys.
MMARS Unavailable Saturday
Due to scheduled system processing, MMARS will be unavailable Saturday, April 6.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Red Flags for Conflicts of Interest
In fraud involving conflict of interest, a public official misrepresents that he or she is impartial in business decisions when he or she has an undisclosed financial interest in a contractor or consultant.
These indicators include but are not limited to:
- Unexplained or unusual favoritism shown to a particular contractor or consultant.
- A public official disclosing confidential bid information to a contractor or assisting the contractor in preparing the bid.
- A public official having discussions about employment with a current or prospective contractor or consultant.
- A close socialization with and acceptance of inappropriate gifts, travel or entertainment from a contractor or the ability to purchase such items at below fair market value.
- A vendor or consultant address being incomplete or matching an employee’s address.
Additional red flags for conflicts of interest can be found in the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Encumbrance Management – Tuesday, April 9, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Tuesday, April 9, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast Interdepartmental Chargebacks – Friday, April 12, 10:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M., Online Training
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Wednesday, April 17, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Wednesday, April 17, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Recurring Payments for Beginners – Thursday, April 18, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Risk Management – Friday, April 19, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Appropriation Management – Wednesday, April 24, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Close/Open Meeting – Thursday, April 25, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. Federal Reserve Bank, 600 Atlantic Ave., Boston
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next three months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Negative Draw Prevention Report
Departments should review the Negative Draw Prevention Report(linked on the Comptroller's Intranet home page) to view expenses that did not reach the 495 Draw Table because of a net negative balance. Negative Draw table contents can be removed with a CH or EX transaction. Please contact Andrew Richardson at 617-973-2456 for details on how to repair any Negative Draw associated with your federal grants.
It is important to note that figures displayed on the Negative Draw Prevention Report do not represent a source of funds