Latest update includes:
- FY2014-05: Late Penalty Interest Rate
- GAAP Reporting Due
- Federal Grant Revenues
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 1
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Retirement Board Extended Summer Hours
- Close/Open Key Dates August 3 – 10
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Code of Conduct
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Insufficient Funds Error on a Payment Request
GAAP Reporting Due
The FY2013 Departmental GAAP Reporting is due on Monday August 5. Please see FY2013-25: FY2013 GAAP Instructions (issued 6/6/2013)for additional information.
Federal Grant Revenues
Departments should use the attached template to identify federal grant (Fund 0100) revenues that posted in FY2014 but should be used to reimburse FY2013 expenditures. Please contact Andrew Richardson of the Federal Grants and Cost Allocation Bureau at (617) 973-2456 with any questions.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 1
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 1 (July), FY2014 will be run on Saturday, August 10. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 1 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM are scheduled to be available Saturday, August 3, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Availability may be impacted by the special budget re-synchronization. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, August 5.
Retirement Board Extended Summer Hours
The Massachusetts State Board of Retirement's Boston office will extend its hours on Thursdays throughout the summer as follows:
10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
*Thursdays/Boston only 10:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
*Thursdays/Boston only 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
*Boston’s extended summer hours will be in effect from Thursday, June 20 through Thursday, September 26, 2013.
Toll Free: 800-392-6014 (within MA)
The Boston office is located at:
One Winter Street, 8th Floor
Boston, MA 02108
Please encourage employees/retirees to take advantage of the extended summer hours.
August 5, Monday
- Basic FY2013 departmental GAAP packages due.
- Higher Education Statutory Accounts Payable Information Fund 0901 due.
- Higher Education Federal Financial Assistance Schedules distributed.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Code of Conduct
Each state agency should have and distribute to all employees a Code of Conduct that meets or exceeds the provisions of MGL Chapter 268A, promoting anti-fraud policies and the highest standards of ethical behavior.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, August 9, 1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M., Online Training
- Accounts Receivable for Beginners – Tuesday, August 13, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Wednesday, August 14, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Encumbrance Management – Thursday, August 15, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Thursday, August 15, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Appropriation Management – Tuesday, August 20, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- CIW Report Building with MS Access – Thursday, August 22, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training La
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Insufficient Funds Error on a Payment Request
When processing a payment request (PRC, GAX, INP) in MMARS, if there are insufficient funds available on the accounting line (and commodity line if applicable), the payment document will generate an error. It will switch reference types to final on lines with underfunded amounts (this is found on the commodity/accounting lines under reference). If additional funds are then added to the encumbrance, the reference types should be manually switched from final to partial to avoid closing the encumbrance.