Latest update includes:
- FY2015-07: FY2015 Treasury State Agreements
- Periodic Allotment
- Payroll User Group Meeting September 10
- New MMARS Write-Off (WO) Document Processing Procedure
- Budget Re-Synchronization Complete
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Close/Open Key Dates August 16 - 23
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - KPMG 2013 Global Profiles of the Fraudster
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Entering Data in MMARS
FY2015-07: FY2015 Treasury State Agreements
CTR Memo FY2015-07 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. The purpose of this memo is to advise departments of the FY15 annual Treasury-State Agreements (TSA) between the U.S. Department of the Treasury, Financial Management Service and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has been executed. Departments should reference this memo and its contents upon request from federal granting agencies or auditors requiring a copy of the most recent TSA agreement.
On or about Monday, August 18, the Executive Office for Administration and Finance will process the second periodic allotment of FY2015 to increase the expenditure ceiling in budgetary accounts to 33.33% (a two-month allotment).
The next scheduled periodic allotment will be on or about October 14.
Agency staff are asked to make ANF budget analysts aware of any requested ad hoc allotments as soon as possible, but no later than the Wednesday prior to the Tuesday ad hoc, to ensure that it can be reviewed by ANF staff in a timely fashion.
Payroll User Group Meeting September 10
The next Payroll User Group Meeting will be held at the following time and place:
Wednesday – September 10, 2014, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., 21st Floor Conference Room
One Ashburton Place, Boston MA. Agenda items will include the following:
- Metro Credit Union
- Benefit Strategies
- MARIS – Retirement System
- HR/CMS V9.2 Upgrade Project
- Treasury Checks and Pay Advices
- Payroll Updates
- Payroll Reminders
Other agenda items may also be added. Please click here to register.
The meeting will also be available through web cast for those who cannot attend in person.
New MMARS Write-Off (WO) Document Processing Procedure
In accordance with 815 CMR 9.08(2), State Department Billing Entities are responsible for diligent efforts to collect the full amount of past due debt, and must certify that any Write-Off (WO) is in the best interests of the State when submitting a AR Write-Off Request Form to the Office of the Comptroller (CTR). Traditionally, departments have requested a write-off amount via a form; CTR then entered the WO on the department’s behalf. Now, utilizing MMARS “Work Flow,” departments will enter their own WO Documents which will be automatically routed to CTR for review and final approval. This new process will leverage existing technology to improve accuracy and timeliness for WO processing.
For specific information on how to process a MMARS WO Document, please see the on-lineJob Aid.
Budget Re-Synchronization Complete
The quarterly re-synchronization for departmental budgets (Subsidiary Expense, Department Expense, and Department Revenue) was completed the weekend of August 9. MMARS budget structures were in-synch as of Sunday, August 10.
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, August 16, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, August 18.
August 22, Friday
- Final date for processing event type PR 20/21 CEC and GAEC documents.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - KPMG 2013 Global Profiles of the Fraudster
Between August of 2011 and February of 2013 KPMG analyzed 596 fraudsters involved in acts committed in 78 countries. The survey focused on “white collar” crime.
We have reviewed the three drivers of fraud: opportunity, motivation and rationale. Motive and rationale propel fraudsters towards the doorway and capability takes them through it.
Capability is a subset of the opportunity driver of fraud. Capability consists of those attributes of the fraudster that enable him/her to exploit the opportunity when it arises. The attributes are the fraudster’s personal traits and ability to execute the crime.
- Smart and creative enough to understand and exploit the internal control weakness.
- Sense of superiority.
- Confident that the fraud will not be detected.
- Confident in ability to mislead others.
Ability to influence others to assist, to be complicit in or conceal the fraud.
- Lie or divert convincingly.
- Stress management
- The act of committing and continuing to conceal fraud provides ongoing stress.
- Adept at stress management.
- Ability to compartmentalize.
Fraud prevention and detection must be a part of each employee’s job. If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email at Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.-
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Accounts Receivable for Beginners – Friday, August 15, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, August 15, 1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M., Online Training
- Appropriation Management – Tuesday, August 19, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to LCM Warehouse – Wednesday, August 20, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Establishing a Federal Grant in MMARS – Thursday, August 21, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Tuesday, August 26, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Wednesday, August 27, 9:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, August 28, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast Interdepartmental Chargebacks – Friday, August 29, 1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M., Online Training
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled through October and Payroll User Groups through 2014.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Entering Data in MMARS
Copy/pasting data into the MMARS Comments field can result in erroneous entry of special characters that cause slow system processing in MMARS. Departments should use caution when copy/pasting into the Comments field.