- FY2013-32: Federal Approval of Allocated and Billed Costs for FY2013
- Encumbrance Suspension for Open Activity (Unspent) Roll and Lapse
- Funds Availability Checking for Pay Period Ending 8/24/2013
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Close/Open Key Dates August 24 - 31
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Sub-Recipient Monitoring
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Links
FY2013-32: Federal Approval of Allocated and Billed Costs for FY2013
CTR Memo FY2013-32 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. The Office of the Comptroller is responsible for the development and submission of the Statewide Cost Allocation Plan (SWCAP) required under the provisions of the Federal Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circular A-87. The SWCAP is a statistical method of allocating central government costs to the state agencies that receive central government supportive services. The FY2013 SWCAP has been reviewed and approved by the federal Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Cost Allocation (DCA).
Encumbrance Suspension for Open Activity (Unspent) Roll and Lapse
The Contract Open Activity Roll (CT, PC, and RQS transactions) and Lapse (CT, EAV, GAE, GAP, IE, PC, RPO, and RQS transactions) will occur on the weekend of Saturday, August 31st. MMARS will not be available that weekend.
In preparation for the Roll and Lapse, Departments must refrain from processing encumbrance transactions, including interfaces, from Thursday, August 29th until Monday, September 2nd. This includes entering, editing, validating or submitting CT, EAV, GAE, GAP, IE, PC, RPO, and RQS transactions.
Starting on Thursday, August 29th, the Office of the Comptroller will be monitoring the Document Catalog to ensure that departments are not attempting to update any encumbrance transactions. Your cooperation with this process is greatly appreciated.
Funds Availability Checking for Pay Period Ending 8/24/2013
For FY2014 payroll charges, the Funds Availability process will enforce the usual rules for all Account Types. This pay period is the last Accounts Payable period for FY 2013. Payroll Holds are required for all FY2013 payroll charges. When submitting a Payroll Hold, departments must include a justification as a comment and enter 2013 for Budget Fiscal Year, 2013 for Fiscal Year, and 13 for the Accounting Period in the Header.
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, August 24, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, August 26
August 26, Monday
- Last date to enter Accounts Payable payroll for pay period ending 8/24/2013.
August 29, Thursday
- Open activity roll preparation - suspension of department ability to enter, edit, validate, and submit CT, EAV, GAE, GAP, IE, PC, RPO, RQS and PH documents and interfaces.
August 30, Friday
- Final date to enter all EX for FY2013.
- Open activity roll preparation - suspension of department ability to enter, edit, validate and submit CT, EAV, GAE, GAP, IE, PC, RPO, RQS and PH documents and interfaces All FY2013 payments to FINAL status.
- All FY2013 advances must be accounted for.
- All FY2013 payments on hold must be released or cancelled.
- Verify that all PRRV’s are approved in MMARS.
- Higher Education completion of FY2013 activity through June 30.
- All FY2013 Federal Grant Payments should disburse on August 30.
August 31, Saturday
- Lapse FY2013 encumbrances; encumbrance open activity roll (roll of unspent balance of 2013 lines for capital [2CN], trust [3TN], and federal funds [4FN]).
- PH Lapse.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Sub-Recipient Monitoring
Each prime recipient must develop a plan for how it will monitor the funds it awards and the activities of the entities to which it awards those funds. Monitoring plans should be based on a risk assessment. Comptroller Sub-Recipient Monitoring guidance includes a link to the AGA’s (Association of Government Accountants) sub-recipient risk assessment tool.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Tuesday, August 27, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- CIW Report Building with MS Excel – Wednesday, August 28, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Wednesday, September 4, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Encumbrance Management – Tuesday, September 10, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Tuesday, September 10, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, September 11, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 21st Floor Conference Room
- Webcast Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, September 11, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., Online Training
- Vendor Management – Thursday, September 12, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Links
Any underlined word, doc id, or page code in MMARS is an “actionable link”. Clicking on the link will perform the action, open the document or open the table.