Latest update includes:
- Launch of Open Checkbook Phase Three
- Encumbrance Suspension for Open Activity (Unspent) Roll and Lapse
- Federal Grants Balances to Balance Forward September 24
- Report NGA208W for Accounting Period 13
- Sweep Account Reconciliation Due
- Processing Accounts Payable Payment Requests
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Statewide Contract Trainings for FAC76: Maintenance, Repair and Operations Products
- Close/Open Key Dates August 25 – September 1
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week - Access a Recently Viewed Document
Launch of Open Checkbook Phase Three
In December 2011, the Massachusetts Open Checkbook website was launched. The August 22, 2012 release integrates two new sets of data, tax credits, and summary transactions. Currently, the primary data is any spending that goes through the state accounting system, MMARS. Adding these two categories of state spending is a step towards complete transparency of state government spending. Please see complete information about the new release here.
Encumbrance Suspension for Open Activity (Unspent) Roll and Lapse
In preparation for the Roll and Lapse; Departments must refrain from processing encumbrance transactions, including interfaces, from Thursday, August 30 until Tuesday, September 4. This includes entering, editing, validating or submitting CT, EAV, GAE, GAP, IE, PC, RPO, and RQS transactions.
The Contract Open Activity Roll (CT, PC, and RQS transactions) and Lapse (CT, EAV, GAE, GAP, IE, PC, RPO, and RQS transactions) will occur on the weekend of Saturday, September 1 and MMARS will not be available that weekend. The Office of the Comptroller will be preparing all encumbrances that exist as of close of business Wednesday, August 29 in order to ensure the weekend roll and lapse run smoothly. Your cooperation with this process is greatly appreciated.
Federal Grants Balances to Balance Forward September 28
The last FY2012 Federal Grants cycle will run September 21, and all federal grant balances are slated to balance forward starting September 28. Please plan accordingly.
Report NGA208W for Accounting Period 13
The revenue report NGA208W for Accounting Period 13, FY2012 is now available on Document Direct. Departments must do a final review of this report, and if they require any adjustment they should send an email to Moses Kalemba.
The deadline for corrections for FY2012 is August 30, 2012.
Sweep Account Reconciliation Due
Departments must complete the reconciliation and clearing of their sweep accounts by August 31, 2012. Departments with questions on their revenue reconciliations may email Moses Kalemba or call him at 617-973-2670.
Processing Accounts Payable Payment Requests
During the Accounts Payable Period (July 1 - August 31), the following fields - Fiscal Year, Budget Fiscal Year and Accounting Period - must be completed for all payment requests. ALL accounts payable activities referencing Fiscal Year 2012 should be Period 13. Please refer to the chart on page 59 of the Close/Open Instructions for complete coding guidance.
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, August 25 from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, August 27.
Statewide Contract Trainings for FAC76: Maintenance, Repair and Operations Products
The Operational Services Division (OSD) invites you and your staff to the Contract User Training and Vendor Introductions for Statewide Contract FAC76: Maintenance, Repair and Operations (MRO) Products, Supplies and Equipment.
All staff involved in purchasing and facility maintenance, repair, and operations are invited. This event is an opportunity to learn how to use the contract and to meet the newly awarded vendors.
Training dates as follows. Click on the links below for registration information:
- Wednesday, September 5th in Boston
- Wednesday, September 19th in Springfield
- Monday, September 24th in Shirley
- Thursday, September 27th webinar
Please register in advance as space is limited. If you have questions please contact OSD Event Coordinator Susan Aalpoel at Susan.Aalpoel@State.MA.US or 617-720-3387.
Close/Open Key Dates August 25 – September 1
August 29, Wednesday
- Higher Education must complete posting all FY2012 transactions through June 30.
August 30, Thursday
- Open activity roll preparation - suspension of departments’ ability to enter, edit, validate, and submit CT, GAE, GAP, IE, PC, RPO, and RQ documents and interfaces.
August 31, Friday
- Final date to enter all EXs for FY2012.
- Open activity roll preparation - suspension of departments’ ability to enter, edit, validate, and submit CTs, GAE, GAP, IE, PC, RPO, RQs documents and interfaces.
- All FY2012 payments to final status.
- All FY2012 advances must be accounted for.
- All FY2012 payments on hold must be released or cancelled.
- PH Lapse.
- Verify that all PRRVs are approved in MMARS.
- Final statutory receivable report due.
- All FY2012 Federal Grants payments must be in final status.
September 1, Saturday
- Lapse FY2012 encumbrances: encumbrance open activity roll (roll of unspent balance of 2012 lines for capital [2CN], trust [3TN]), and federal funds [4FN].
- Recurring Payments for Beginners – Tuesday, August 28, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston 9th Floor Training Lab
- CIW Report Building with MS Excel – Wednesday, August 29, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston 9th Floor Training Lab
- LCM Management – Wednesday, September 5, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Thursday, September 6, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston 9th Floor Training Lab
- Encumbrance Management – Tuesday, September 11, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Tuesday, September 11, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, September 12, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston 21st Floor Conference Room
- Webcast Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, September 12, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., Online Training
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, September 13, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for three months and Payroll User Groups through December 2012.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Access a Recently Viewed Document
To access a document you've recently viewed in MMARS, use the History link on the Secondary Navigation Panel.
Note: The History of documents only includes documents viewed during the current MMARS login session.
- Click on "Home" in the primary navigation panel or close out of the document you are in.
- From the Secondary Navigation Panel, click History.
- A list of all documents viewed in this login session displays below the History link.
- Click the appropriate link from the list to access the document.