Latest update includes:
- FY2014 Encumbrance Suspension for Open Activity (Unspent) Roll and Lapse
- Post-Open Activity Roll Review
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Periods FY2014-13 and FY2015-2
- MMARS Unavailable on Holiday Weekend
- Close/Open Key Dates August 30 – September 6
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - 10-80-10 Rule
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Find the Correct Commodity Code
FY2014 Encumbrance Suspension for Open Activity (Unspent) Roll and Lapse
The Contract Open Activity Roll (CT, PC, and RQS transactions) and Lapse (CT, EAV, GAE, GAP, IE, PC, RPO, and RQS transactions) will occur on the weekend of Saturday, August 30. MMARS will not be available that weekend.
In preparation for the Roll and Lapse, departments must refrain from processing encumbrance transactions, including interfaces, from Thursday, August 28 until Monday, September 1. This includes entering, editing, validating or submitting CT, EAV, GAE, GAP, IE, PC, RPO, and RQS transactions.
Starting on Thursday, August 28, the Office of the Comptroller will be monitoring the Document Catalog to ensure that departments are not attempting to update any encumbrance transactions. Your cooperation with this process is greatly appreciated.
Post-Open Activity Roll Review
After the Open Activity Roll is completed, departments should review the MMARS Document Catalog for any CTs or PCs that rejected during the roll. These will have a Create User ID of ‘ROLLID’ and the Phase will be “Draft” and a Create Date between 8/30-9/01.
Departments should not delete these Draft versions but should review the error messages and, if possible, make the required corrections. Only zero dollar modifications that correct accounting detail errors (appropriations, program details, etc.) are allowed. Departments should not change Commodity or Accounting line amounts. The Comptroller’s office will work with departments to get any rejected Roll encumbrances processed. Depending on the number of rejects and severity of the errors, CTR may be contacting individual departments with specific instructions for correcting their rejects. If you have any questions or need assistance with your corrections, please send an email with a Subject: XXX (Dept. ID Code) Sept Roll Reject Correction to Comptroller.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Periods 13 and 2
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 13 (FY2014 Accounts Payable period), will run on Saturday, September 6. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 13 will be subject to these assessments.
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 2 (August), FY2015 will run on Saturday, September 13. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 2 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
MMARS Unavailable on Holiday Weekend
MMARS and LCM will be unavailable Saturday, Sunday, and Monday August 30 – September 1 due to scheduled system processing. MMARS may be available at some time on Monday after processing is complete.
Close/Open Key Dates August 30 – September 6
August 30 – September 1, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday
- Lapse FY2014 encumbrances; encumbrance open activity roll (roll of unspent balance of 2014 lines for capital [2CN], trust [3TN], and federal funds [4FN]).
September 2, Tuesday
- Higher Education to review preliminary Revenue and Expenditure Tables.
September 5, Friday
- Departments to enter Statutory Receivables.
- Final date for FY2014 LARQ (PRADJ).
- PH Lapse.
- Higher Education completion of FY2014 activity through June 30.
- GASB49 Liability due for selected departments.
September 6, Saturday
- Run Fringe, Indirect, and Payroll Tax for Accounting Period 13.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - 10-80-10 Rule
The 10-80-10 “rule” refers to a general assumption of the breakdown of the population and the likelihood of fraud occurrences:
- 10% of the population will never commit fraud.
- 80% of the population might commit fraud given the right combination of opportunity, pressure, and rationalization.
- 10% of the population are actively looking at systems and trying to find a way to commit fraud.
Visit NASACT and the Oregon State Controller’s Division website.
Fraud prevention and detection must be a part of each employee’s job. If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email at Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
- Webcast Interdepartmental Chargebacks – Friday, August 29, 1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M., Online Training
- LCM Management – Tuesday, September 9, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, September 10, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 21st Floor Conference Room
- Webcast Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, September 10, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., Online Meeting
- Encumbrance Management – Thursday, September 11, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Thursday, September 11, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Federal Grant Activity Reconciliation – Tuesday, September 16, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Wednesday, September 17, 9:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, September 18, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled through October and Payroll User Groups through 2014.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Find the Correct Commodity Code
To find the correct commodity code, use the Commodity table. COMM is the Page Code for the Commodity table. When performing a search, use an asterisk before and after the name for better search results. Commodity codes inferred from a referenced MA should not be changed.