Latest update includes:
- FY2015-06: Comptroller Office’s FY2015 MMARS Chargeback
- Encumbrance Suspension for Open Activity (Unspent) Roll and Lapse
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 1
- Purge of Rejected Documents over 75 Days Old
- MMARS Unavailable Saturday
- Close/Open Key Dates August 9 – 16
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - KPMG 2013 Global Profiles of the Fraudster
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Find Reports
FY2015-06: Comptroller Office’s FY2015 MMARS Chargeback
CTR Memo FY2015-06 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. This memo provides guidance and information regarding the Office of the Comptroller’s MMARS chargeback for FY2015 to support the operation of the financial accounting and reporting system for the Commonwealth. CTR is processing IEs that will be available in MMARS tomorrow.
Encumbrance Suspension for Open Activity (Unspent) Roll and Lapse
The Contract Open Activity Roll (CT, PC, and RQS transactions) and Lapse (CT, EAV, GAE, GAP, IE, PC, RPO, and RQS transactions) will occur on the weekend of Saturday, August 30. MMARS will not be available that weekend.
In preparation for the Roll and Lapse, departments must refrain from processing encumbrance transactions, including interfaces, from Thursday, August 28 until Monday, September 1. This includes entering, editing, validating or submitting CT, EAV, GAE, GAP, IE, PC, RPO, and RQS transactions.
Starting on Thursday, August 28, the Office of the Comptroller will be monitoring the Document Catalog to ensure that departments are not attempting to update any encumbrance transactions. Your cooperation with this process is greatly appreciated.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 1
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 1 (July), FY2015, will be run this Saturday, August 9. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 1 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
Purge of Rejected Documents over 75 Days Old
Rejected documents in the system accumulate in the document catalog and are removed in a regularly scheduled monthly purge of documents over 75 days old. The next purge will occur on Friday, August 15, and will delete rejected documents entered before June 1. If you have documents entered before June 1 that you would like to save, please place them on "hold".
To place a document on "hold":
- Locate the document in the Document Catalog.
- Check the checkbox to the left of the document (in the Document Catalog).
- Click "Action Menu", select "Scheduling Actions", select "Mark Document" and choose "Hold".
MMARS Unavailable Saturday
MMARS will be unavailable on Saturday due to scheduled system processing.
August 11, Monday
- Last date to enter AP payroll for pay period ending 8/9/2014.
August 13, Wednesday
- All event type PR 22 for CEC/GAEC must be offset
August 15, Friday
- GASB49 Liability worksheet due from selected departments.
- Final day to complete reconciliation of NGA208W Accounting Period 12 of 2014.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - KPMG 2013 Global Profiles of the Fraudster
Between August of 2011 and February of 2013 KPMG analyzed 596 fraudsters involved in acts committed in 78 countries. The survey focused on “white collar” crime.
The Three Drivers of Fraud: Opportunity, Motivation, Rationale
In order to understand a fraudster’s profile it is useful to consider three drivers of fraud: opportunity, motivation and rationale. We have reviewed opportunity and motivation. The third driver of fraud is rationale.
Fraudsters, as with other types of criminals, will frequently provide a rationale for their deeds. Emotional motivators such as fear, anger and being under-remunerated were all listed by survey respondents as a rationale for committing fraud. The survey found a sense of superiority the most significant emotion, reinforcing the view that the fraudster did not need to play by the rules regulating the rest of the workforce.
Next week’s Fraud Awareness and Prevention fact will focus on capability, a subset of the opportunity driver of fraud.
Fraud prevention and detection must be a part of each employee’s job. If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email at Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- CIW Report Building with MS Excel – Tuesday, August 12, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Wednesday, August 13, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Encumbrance Management – Thursday, August 14, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Thursday, August 14, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Accounts Receivable for Beginners – Friday, August 15, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, August 15, 12:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M., Online Training
- Appropriation Management – Tuesday, August 19, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to LCM Warehouse – Wednesday, August 20, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Establishing a Federal Grant in MMARS – Thursday, August 21, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Tuesday, August 26, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Wednesday, August 27, 9:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, August 28, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast Interdepartmental Chargebacks – Friday, August 29, 1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M., Online Training
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled through August and Payroll User Groups through 2014.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Find Reports
There are 2 main places to find reports for MMARS:
1. DocDirect Online.
2. The Warehouse. Starter queries are available at http://www.iw.state.ma.us/ciwdata/MMARS/StarterQuery.asp
More Information on what reports and starter queries are available can be found by reading the Information Delivery Job Aids.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.