Latest update includes:
- FY2013-12: Contract Reduction Plan Recommendations
- Amendments, Suspensions or Terminations Policy Updated
- Mobile Device Policy Update - Information Technology Division (ITD)
- CFO Conference Files Posted
- Periodic Allotment December 10
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 5
- MMARS Unavailable Saturday
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Who Commits Fraud?
- MASSbuys EXPO - Thursday, May 2, 2013
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Access a Recently Viewed Document
FY2013-12: Contract Reduction Plan Recommendations
CTR Memo FY2013-12 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. Due to announced 9C reductions to Fiscal Year 2013 budgetary accounts, most departments are evaluating the impact and considering adjustments to previously executed contracts. This memo provides departments with the procedures for suspending, amending or terminating contract actions that will be necessary to stay within your authorized spending limits. Departments may not request or accept performance or otherwise incur obligation in excess of department appropriations and allotments (M.G.L. c. 29, §26 and §27).
Amendments, Suspensions or Terminations Policy Updated
The Amendments, Suspensions or Terminations Policy is jointly issued by the Office of the Comptroller (CTR) and the Operational Services Division (OSD) for contracts under the jurisdiction of each of these departments, and has been updated with guidance for M.G.L. c. 29, s. 9C budget allotment reductions.
Mobile Device Policy Update - Information Technology Division (ITD)
The Information Technology Division (ITD), in an effort to enhance the security of the Commonwealth network, has updated the mobile device policy which now requires authorization and registration of all mobile devices actively synchronized to the ITD network. Users will need to sign off using ITD’s Wireless Mobile Device Agreement .
All users with devices currently synched to the network, regardless of whether they are authorized or unauthorized by their Department, will receive an email notification regarding the policy update on December 7, 2012
ITD will disconnect any unauthorized and unregistered devices from the network on December 18, 2012. Please see the ITD Advisory Memorandum - Mobile Devices for additional information.
Please contact Tim Guerriero at 617-626-4565 with any questions.
Periodic Allotment December 10
On or about Monday, December 10, the Executive Office for Administration and Finance will process the fifth periodic allotment of FY2013 to increase the expenditure ceiling in budgetary accounts to 58.33% (a one-month allotment).
The next scheduled periodic allotment will be on or about January 22.
Agency staff are asked to make ANF budget analysts aware of any requested ad hoc allotments as soon as possible to ensure that it can be reviewed by ANF staff in a timely fashion.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 5
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 5 (November), FY2013 will be run this Saturday, December 8. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 5 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
MMARS Unavailable Saturday
Due to scheduled system processing, MMARS will be unavailable on Saturday, December 8.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Who Commits Fraud?
Fraud can be committed by individuals both outside and inside the organization. Often it is trusted and respected employees in positions of responsibility, with the ability to override Internal Controls. Just about anyone who falls into the toxic mix of the Fraud Triangle (Opportunity, Pressure/Motivation, and Rationalization) has the ability to commit fraud.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
MASSbuys EXPO - Thursday, May 2, 2013
The 2013 MASSbuys EXPO will be held on Thursday, May 2 at the DCU Center in Worcester. Designed exclusively for Commonwealth Statewide Contractors and public purchasing and procurement officials, this event provides attendees with a one-of-a-kind opportunity to discover the latest products and services available on Statewide Contracts. The educational component of the event will cover the latest in Strategic Sourcing best practices, supplier diversity, and resources and skills to help to improve job performance and increase cost savings.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, December 7, 10:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M., Online Training
- Encumbrance Management – Monday, December 10, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Monday, December 10, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Vendor Management – Tuesday, December 11, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Wednesday, December 12, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, December 13, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast Interdepartmental Chargeback – Friday, December 14, 10:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M., Online Training
- Risk Management – Friday, December 14, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Conference Room B
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Monday, December 17, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Tuesday, December 18, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 10th Floor Conference Room C
- Recurring Payments for Beginners – Tuesday, December 18, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for three months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Access a Recently Viewed Document
To access a document you've recently viewed in MMARS, use the History link on the Secondary Navigation Panel.
Note: The History of documents only includes documents viewed during the current MMARS login session.
- Click on "Home" in the primary navigation panel or close out of the document you are in.
- From the Secondary Navigation Panel, click History.
- A list of all files and documents viewed in this login session displays below the History link.
- Click the appropriate link from the list to access the document.