Latest update includes:
- Periodic Allotment
- Processing Accounts Payable Payment Requests
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Close/Open Key Dates August 17 - 24
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Verify Changes to Vendor Records
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Frozen Document
On or about Monday, August 19, the Executive Office for Administration and Finance will process the second periodic allotment of FY2014 to increase the expenditure ceiling in budgetary accounts to 33.33% (a two-month allotment).
The next scheduled periodic allotment will be on or about October 15. Agencies are asked to make ANF budget analysts aware of any requested ad hoc allotments as soon as possible, but no later than the Wednesday prior to the Tuesday ad hoc, to ensure that it can be reviewed by ANF in a timely manner.
Processing Accounts Payable Payment Requests
During the Accounts Payable Period (July 1 - August 31), the following fields - Fiscal Year, Budget Fiscal Year and Accounting Period - must be completed for all payment requests. ALL accounts payable activities referencing Fiscal Year 2013 should be Period 13. Please refer to the chart on page 59 of the Close/Open Instructions for complete coding guidance.
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, August 17, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, August 19.
Close/Open Key Dates August 17 – 24
August 23, Friday
- Final date for processing event type PR 20/21 CEC and GAEC documents.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Verify Changes to Vendor Records
To prevent theft or misappropriation of funds, verify that all changes to vendor records (name, address change, bank account) are submitted by an authorized vendor signatory, and approved by an agency signatory as stated in the Comptroller Policy Vendor/Customer File and W-9s. Please also refer to the Contractor Authorized Signatory Listing (CASL) policy.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Appropriation Management – Tuesday, August 20, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to HR/CMS Payroll Warehouse – Tuesday, August 27, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Thursday, August 27, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- CIW Report Building with MS Excel – Wednesday, August 28, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Tuesday, September 4, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse– Thursday, September 5, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Frozen Document
When processing documents in MMARS, occasionally a document will not open. This happens when a document is closed or MMARS times out and there is a coding error, usually an incorrect budget fiscal year or fiscal year, in the document header. After clicking on the document, a fatal security error will generate:
PR_DOC_HDR Error Fatal security error: Invalid Dept (DPH), Unit (8251), Fiscal Year (2031) combination. Cannot obtain the remaining Org codes.
DOC_HDR Error Not authorized to open selected document.
Error Cannot Open document
If you get this error, call the Comptroller’s Help Desk at 617-973-2468. They will work with CTR staff to release the document and will be in contact when the document has been fixed.