Latest update includes:
- FY2015-02: Approved FY2015 Fringe Benefit and Payroll Tax Rates
- FY2014-29: FY2014 Statutory Receivable Instructions
- MMARS Weekend Hours
- 2014/2015 Close/Open News
- MMARS NT1 Document Processing
- Financial Reporting System in PartnerNet Unavailable Until July 8
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Improving Your Cyber Security: Physical Security
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week - Copy a Document ID and Paste it into Another Document
CTR Memo FY2015-02 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. This memo notifies departments of the approved fringe benefit and payroll tax rates for FY2015. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has approved the fringe rate of 27.27% and a payroll tax rate of 1.59%.
FY2014-29: FY2014 Statutory Receivable Instructions
CTR Memo FY2014-29 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. The statutory receivable instructions provide guidance to departments for reporting receivables due from a governmental body that are related to expenses incurred on or before June 30, and collected between July 1 and August 31 by the Comptroller’s Office. The preliminary estimate is due on August 1 and the final report is due on September 5.
MMARS Weekend Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, June 28 and Sunday, June 29 from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any weekend Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, June 30.
Close of FY2014 Encumbrances
The official last day for processing any FY2014 encumbrances in MMARS is Monday, June 30. All contract submissions must be received by noon July 1 to CTR's Accounts Payable Bureau (APB) Contracts Unit.
Any FY2014 encumbrance transaction after 6/30/2014 is a late encumbrance. The ANF Platform should no longer be used. For further guidance, see the late encumbrance section starting on page 47 of the Close/Open Instructions.
There are three types of net zero dollar encumbrances that are allowed from 7/1-8/29. Net zero adjustments are explained on page 48 of the Close/Open Instructions. All zero dollar adjustment requests should be emailed to Comptroller.email@example.com.
Close/Open Key Dates June 28 – July 5
June 30, Monday
- Irregular balances must be resolved in appropriation types 1CN, 1CS, 1RN, 1RS, 1IN, 1IS, 2CN, 3TN.
- Last day to process all FY2014 transactions requiring CTR/ANF approval - encumbrance transactions.
- Last day to receive goods, services and other performances for FY2014.
- Completed requests to pay prior year deficiencies out of FY2014 funds must be received in the Comptroller's Office.
- Last day to enter FY2014 payroll holds in MMARS.
- Last day for posting payroll time for pay period ending June 28.
- Enter final FY2014 PRRV, ER, and CR
- Last day to receive FY2014 cash.
July 1, Tuesday
- FY2014 Accounts Payable Payments begin.
- Enter final FY2014 AR.
- Run last full FY2014 payroll.
- Enter final FY2014 PRRV, ER, CR.
- Last day to enter all deposits for FY2014. Deposit slips must be time stamped before noon July 1.
July 3, Thursday
- LCM Predictives available.
- All FY2014 payroll reject transactions (PRLDE_PRLIF_PRADJ) and payroll accounts with negative uncommitted and unexpended balances must be corrected in MMARS.
- Final day to enter FY2014 RE.
- Final day to verify that all FY2014 RE and CR referencing REs are final status and are ready for the RE roll on July 5, 2014.
July 5, Saturday
- RE Roll.
In accordance with 815 CMR 9.00: Debt Collection and Intercept Policy, Departments are responsible for performing due diligence to collect open accounts receivable. The statewide contract for Debt Collector Services, PRF55, provides a number of Debt Collection Agencies (DCAs) for departments to collect delinquent accounts receivable. This contract allows DCAs to net their fees from collections, thus eliminating the billing and payments procedure previously required to pay for their service. 815 CMR 9.05 requires DCAs to provide detailed reports of all Collection activity as well as access to any information necessary to validate the amounts collected and the Contingency Percentage Fees netted from their collections. The Commonwealth considers these netted fees to be “payments,” therefore these netted fees need to be recorded in the Massachusetts Accounting Receivables System (MMARS) on a monthly basis for proper accounting and tax reporting purposes.
To comply with recording this “payment”, the NT1 Document has been added as a MMARS transaction. The NT1 will not create a payment but will record the amount the vendor netted back to themselves so that departments can record the amount “paid” to the debt collector. For more information on how to record an NT1 Document please see Job Aid and NT1 Approval Request Form.
Financial Reporting System in PartnerNet Unavailable Until July 8
Reminder, the Financial Reporting System for GAAP Instructions and Statutory Receivable will not be available until July 8. The due date for submitting the GAAP Package is Monday, August 4. See CTR Memo FY2014-26 for additional details.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Improving Your Cyber Security:Physical Security
With cyber threats around the globe evolving and becoming more sophisticated, evidenced by the recent data breach at retailer Target, it is important that consumers protect themselves when using technology for sensitive information or data. There are a number of steps that individuals can take to help improve their security both on and off the internet.
When using a credit card to make a purchase, be sure that you do not leave it out in the open. For example, if it is left face up on a table as you enjoy coffee, an attacker could easily snap a picture of your card, then use the numbers to make fraudulent purchases. With that said, it is important to check your monthly statements for irregularities so that any potential security breach is identified as soon as possible. If you receive statements via hard copy, it is then essential that they are shredded or stored in a secure location, such as a lockbox.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email at Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Tuesday, July 8, 9:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Risk Management – Wednesday, July 9, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, July 10, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Federal Grant Activity Reconciliation – Tuesday, July 15, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to HR/CMS Payroll Warehouse – Wednesday, July 16, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Thursday, July 17, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, July 18, 1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M., Online Training
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled through August and Payroll User Groups through 2014.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Copy a Document ID and Paste it into Another Document
To copy a document ID number and paste it into another document:
- Highlight the ID number.
- Click the "CTRL" + "C" keys at the same time to copy the Doc ID.
- Click on the field where you are going to paste the Document ID, i.e. the Doc ID field in the Document Catalog.
- Paste the copied Doc ID by clicking the "CTRL" + "V" keys.