Visit Our Website – http://www.mass.gov/osc
Follow us on Twitter @MA_Comptroller
Latest update includes:
- CTR Memo FY2013-19: Debt Collection Services – Statewide Contracts
- Slides from Annual Department Security Officer Briefing Posted
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 9
- Annual Close/Open Meeting Dates
- MASSbuys EXPO Thursday, May 2
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Red Flags for Bribery
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Search for Multiple Document Types using Document Status
CTR Memo FY2013-19: Debt Collection Services – Statewide Contracts
CTR Memo FY2013-19 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. This memo notifies departments of important information related to use of Debt Collection Services by State Department Billing Entities.
Slides from Annual Department Security Officer Briefing Posted
The slides from the Annual Department Security Officer Briefing have been posted to the CTR web portal.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 9
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 9 (March), FY2013 will be run on Saturday, April 6. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 9 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
Annual Close/Open Meeting Dates
The Comptroller of the Commonwealth Annual Close/Open meetings have been scheduled for:
- Thursday, April 25 from 9:30 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. at the Federal Reserve Bank in Boston.
- Thursday, May 2 from 9:30 A.M. to 11:30 P.M. at the annual MASSbuys Conference at the DCU Center in Worcester. This session will also be webcast for those who cannot attend in person.
Chief Fiscal Officers (CFO) and staff with fiscal responsibilities are encouraged to attend the annual Close/Open meeting. Please register for the in person meetings or webcast on the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule. If you plan on attending the Close / Open session May 2, you must also register for the MASSbuys Conference.
MASSbuys EXPO Thursday, May 2
Register now for the 15th Annual MASSbuys EXPO on May 2nd at the DCU Center in Worcester.
Have you registered yet for the MASSbuys EXPO? If not you might want to watch the Attendee Video to see what you will miss if you don’t! At the MASSbuysEXPO you get a chance to network with your peers, meet over 350 vendors on Statewide Contracts, attend morning and afternoon workshops, and visit the eProcurement University to learn about upcoming updates.
Enjoy an event packed day that will help improve job performance and increase professional growth. We’ll be serving a FREE continental breakfast and hot buffet lunch in the arena! The exhibit hall is open from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm, and parking is free. Register here. We look forward to seeing you on May 2nd!
For questions about MASSbuys, email: email@example.com.
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, March 30, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, April 1.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Red Flags for Bribery
Bribery occurs when a contractor misrepresents the cost of performing work by compensating a public official for permitting contract overcharges to increase contractor profit.
These indicators include, but are not limited to:
- A public official or employee has a lifestyle that exceeds his or her salary.
- Oversight officials socialize with or have business relationships with contractors or their families.
- Involvement of an unnecessary middleman or broker.
- A contracting employee declines a promotion to a non-procurement position.
- A contracting employee insists contractors use a certain sub-contractor or broker.
Additional red flags for Bribery can be found in the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Vendor Management – Tuesday, April 2, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Encumbrance Management – Tuesday, April 9, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Tuesday, April 9, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, April 11, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast Interdepartmental Chargebacks – Friday, April 12, 10:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M., Online Training
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Wednesday, April 17, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Wednesday, April 17, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Recurring Payments for Beginners – Thursday, April 18, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Risk Management – Friday, April 19, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next three months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - View History
To access a document you've recently viewed in a current MMARS session, use the History link on the Secondary Navigation Panel.
- From the Secondary Navigation Panel, click History.
- A list of all documents viewed in this login session displays below the History link.
- Click the appropriate link from the list to access the document.
- Please note that your history information will only be available for each on-line session.