Latest update includes:
- FY2012-23: Prompt Payment Discount Statistics Summary for FY2012 as of Third Quarter
- MMARS Chargeback
- Close FY2012/Open FY2013 News
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – DO NOT Pull That Check
FY2012-23: Prompt Payment Discount Statistics Summary for FY2012 as of Third Quarter
CTR Memo FY2012-23 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. This memo encourages the excellent growth in discount savings being achieved by the majority of agencies. The departments’ utilization of the Commonwealth’s Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) program during the first nine months of FY2012 continues to track to a projected annual increase of almost 20%. Still there are more opportunities for agencies to expand discount usage in the current and future fiscal years.
The fifth FY2012 billing for the Office of the Comptroller's MMARS chargeback to support the operation of the Financial Accounting and Reporting System for the Commonwealth has been entered. Billings are sent bi-monthly. This billing is for actual usage based on transaction lines posted to the general ledger for the months of March and April. The document ID is: CTRMMARS12CHARMARAPR. If you have any questions, please contact Susana Peck at 617-973-2401 or Fred Russo at 617-973-2610.
All FY2012 multi-year encumbrances must be entered and/or modified in MMARS by May 30 to be included in the contract roll on the weekend of June 2.
Fiscal Year 2012 Encumbrances
Beginning Saturday, May 12, Executive Departments are required to seek ANF approval for encumbering activity in budgetary accounts totaling $25,000 or more. CT, RPO, GAE, and PC transactions will go to workflow if the actual amount in the Header section of the encumbrance is greater than or equal to 25K. The 25K threshold rule will apply regardless of whether the Department is increasing the encumbrance transaction by $10 or $25,000. Please refer to the chart on page 41 of the Close/Open Instructions for guidance.
Departments should review the balances on all appropriation accounts prior to the end of the fiscal year. All negative balances in accounts (negative uncommitted and/uncommitted) must be resolved by June 30. If departments need assistance resolving negative balances, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US.
Close/Open Key Dates May 19 – 26
May 24, Thursday
• House 1 for FY2013 loaded.
• Departments should complete any FY2013 departmental/cost accounting budget setup and entry.
May 25, Friday
• GAAP distribution #1.
• GAAP Instructions issued.
Close/Open for Beginners
If the Close/Open procedures are new to you, please register for one of the Close/Open for Beginners trainings:
• Tuesday, May 22 1:00 P.M. – 3:00 P.M.
• Tuesday, May 29 9:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M.
• Tuesday, June 5 1:00 P.M. – 3:00 P.M.
All Close/Open for Beginner training sessions will be held in the Executive Conference Room on the 9th Floor of One Ashburton Place, Boston. Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training/Meeting Schedule. If you have any questions, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk 617-973-2468 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, May 19 from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, May 21.
- Accounts Receivable – Tuesday, May 22, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston 9th Floor Training Lab
- Close/Open for Beginners – Tuesday, May 22, 1:00 P.M. – 3:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston 9th Floor Training Lab
- LCM Management – Wednesday, May 23, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Friday, May 25, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Close/Open for Beginners – Tuesday, May 29, 9:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M. One Ashburton Place Boston 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to LCM Warehouse – Wednesday, May 30, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Tuesday, June 5, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston 9th Floor Training Lab
- Close/Open for Beginners – Tuesday, June 5, 1:00 P.M. – 3:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston 9th Floor Training Lab
- Encumbrance Management – Wednesday, June 6, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Wednesday, June 6, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payroll User Group Meeting – Thursday, June 7, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston 21st Floor Conference Room
- Webcast Payroll User Group Meeting – Thursday, June 7, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M. Online Training
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, June 8, 10:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M., Online Training
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for three months and Payroll User Groups through December 2012.
MMARS Hint of the Week - DO NOT Pull That Check
Departments should allow the system to manage payment processing – EFT vs. paper check is more cost effective for both the state and the vendor. Check pulls increase the cost of doing business, interfere with the automated accounting for cash transfers and should be used rarely and only when there is a pressing issue.