Latest update includes:
- MMARS 3.9 Upgrade News
- 2014/2015 Close/Open News
- FY2014-24: FY2014 3rd Quarter PPD Statistics Reports
- Federal Grant Cycle for Week Ending May 8
- Comptroller's Office FY2014 MMARS Chargeback - Fifth Billing
- Purge of Rejected Documents over 75 Days Old
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 10
- Internal Control Questionnaire due May 12
- MMARS Unavailable Saturday
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Recommendations from the 2013 Norton Report
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week - Locating Intercepted Payments
MMARS 3.9 Upgrade News
The MMARS 3.9 Upgrade is scheduled for Memorial Day Weekend, May 24 through May 26, with the 3.9 system coming up live on Tuesday May 27.
CTR is pleased to announce a new MMARS 3.9 Navigation – Quick Reference document, available on our MMARS 3.9 Upgrade News Page. As we approach go live we recommend reviewing this document which provides an overview of new navigation features, options, and enhancements to the user experience.
In addition to the Navigation Guide, the MMARS 3.9 Upgrade News page on the Comptroller Intranet hosts copies of the MMARS Monday Newsletter and slides from the Weekly Wednesday Webcast.
2014/2015 Close/Open News
Fiscal Year 2014 Encumbrances
Beginning Saturday May 10, Executive Departments must request ANF approval for encumbering activity in budgetary accounts totaling $25,000 or more. CT, RPO, GAE, and PC transactions will go to workflow if the actual amount in the Header section of the encumbrance is greater than or equal to 25K. The 25K threshold rule will apply regardless of whether the department is increasing the encumbrance transaction by $10 or $25,000. Please refer to the chart on page 45 of the Close/Open Instructions for guidance.
Departments should review the balances on all appropriation accounts prior to the end of the fiscal year. All negative balances in accounts (negative uncommitted and/uncommitted) must be resolved by June 30. If departments need assistance resolving negative balances, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US.
Presentation, Instructions, and Department Key Dates Posted
The 2014/2015 Close/Open Presentation from the 5/6 meeting, Instructions, and Department Key Dates have been posted to the Close/Open page of the CTR Web Portal.
Worcester Close/Open Meeting Friday, May 16
The second Close/Open meeting is next week in Worcester; and will be webcast for those who cannot attend in person.
Friday, May 16 from 9:30 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. at the UMASS Medical School, 55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA 01655.
Park at the South Road Parking Garage, enter through the Medical School Lobby. Take the “Basic Wing Elevator” on your left to the 6th Floor and look for Amphitheater #3. There is a $9 flat fee for parking.
Please register for the in-person meeting or webcast on the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule.
Close/Open Key Dates May 10 – 17
May 10, Saturday
- Run Fringe, Indirect and Payroll Tax for Accounting Period 10.
May 12, Monday
- Roll Budget Structures 83 and 84 - Departmental Expenses and Departmental Expense/Sub Levels 1 and 2.
- Internal Control Questionnaire (ICQ) due.
May 14, Wednesday
- Open FY2015 for departmental COA and departmental budget structure review.
May 16, Friday
- FY2014/FY2015 Close Open Meeting at UMASS Medical Center, Worcester.
Close/Open for Beginners Training Session
If the Close/Open procedures are new to you; please register for one of the Close/Open for Beginners trainings:
- Wednesday, May 21, 9 A.M. – 12 P.M. – This session will be webcast
- Thursday, June 4, 9 A.M. – 12 P.M.
- Thursday, June 12, 1 P.M. – 4 P.M.
All Close / Open for Beginner training sessions will be held in the Training Room on the 9th Floor of One Ashburton Place, Boston. Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training/Meeting Schedule.
If you have any questions please contact the Comptroller Help Desk 617-973-2468 or via email email@example.com.
FY2014-24: FY2014 3rd Quarter PPD Statistics Reports
CTR Memo FY2-14-24 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. This memo provides CFOs and MMARS Liaisons with updated information on the Prompt Payment Discount program and continues to support departments in pursuing further growth in discount earnings.
Federal Grant Cycle for Week Ending May 8
The federal grants cycle for the week ending May 8, 2014 will be bypassed. A double draw will take place during the week of May 19.
Comptroller's Office FY2014 MMARS Chargeback - Fifth Billing
The fifth FY2014 billing for the Office of the Comptroller's MMARS chargeback to support the operation of the Financial Accounting and Reporting System for the Commonwealth has been entered. Billings are sent bi-monthly. This billing is for actual usage based on transaction lines posted to the general ledger for the months of March and April. The document ID will be: CTRMMARS14CHARMARAPR.
Buyers are required to make payment on undisputed bills within 30 days from receipt of an ITI by completing an ITA (Internal Transaction Agreement).
Purge of Rejected Documents over 75 Days Old
Rejected documents in the system accumulate in the document catalog and are removed in a regularly scheduled monthly purge of documents over 75 days old. The next purge will occur on Thursday, May 15, and will delete rejected documents entered before March 1. If you have documents entered before March 1 that you would like to save, please place them on "hold".
To place a document on "hold":
- Locate the document in the Document Catalog.
- Check the checkbox to the left of the document (in the Document Catalog).
- Click "Action Menu", select "Scheduling Actions", select "Mark Document" and choose "Hold".
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 10
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 10 (April), FY2014, will be run this Saturday, May 10. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 10 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
Internal Control Questionnaire due May 12
Departments must complete the FY2013 Internal Control Questionnaire (ICQ) no later than Monday, May 12. The ICQ application can be accessed on PartnerNet. Contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 if you need assistance with access.
MMARS Unavailable Saturday
MMARS will be unavailable on Saturday, May 10 due to scheduled system processing.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Recommendations from the 2013 Norton Report
The 2013 Norton Report (the makers of Norton Anti-Virus software) looked at cybercrime in 24 countries. Here are a few tips to protect you from cybercrime:
- Think of your mobile devices as mini computers. Password protect them and take steps to ensure your devices are protected against theft, loss, and cybercrime.
- Save sensitive transactions for secure connections. Free or unsecured WiFi make it easy for thieves to steal your information. Avoid processing any sensitive transactions such as banking or online shopping while connected to these sources.
- Always check your credit card and banking statements for fraudulent activity and report any fraudulent activity to your credit card company, bank, and local law enforcement agency.
To learn more about consumer cybercrime or view the full report go here.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email at Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
- Encumbrance Management – Wednesday, May 14, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Close/Open Meeting – Friday, May 16, 9:30 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., UMass Medical School, Amphitheater 3, 55 Lake Ave, North Worcester
- Webcast Close/Open Meeting – Friday, May 16, 9:30 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., Online Meeting
- Webcast CIW User Group – Tuesday, May 20, 9:30 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., Online Meeting
- Close/Open for Beginners – Wednesday, May 21, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast Close/Open for Beginners – Wednesday, May 21, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., Online Training
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Thursday, May 22, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through 2014.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Locating Intercepted Payments
To find a check or EFT that has been intercepted:
- Go to table INTAQ (Intercept activity query).
- On the Search page, enter the vendor TIN number (this is located in the VCUST table for this vendor).
- Click on one of the search results to the left of the check number. A particular payment may have more than one result. The details of the Intercept will be displayed below the search results.
- In the "Receivable Document" section, the department that set up the RE which generated the Intercept will be displayed in the RE Doc Dept. Field. This is the department that took the intercept.
- Scroll down to the "Intercept Contact" section. This section contains contact information for the department that took the intercept.