Latest update includes:
- No Federal Grant Drawdowns Week of December 2
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 5
- MMARS Thanksgiving and Saturday Hours
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Phishing IQ Test
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week - Checking the Timeline for an Employee's Distribution
No Federal Grant Drawdowns Week of December 2
Due to the holiday and short grant cycle, there will be no Federal Grant Drawdowns during the week of December 2. All drawdowns will continue during the following week, which will be a two week cycle. Please contact the Federal Grants and Cost Allocation Bureau with any questions.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 5
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 5 (November), FY2014, will be run on Saturday, December 7. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 5 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
MMARS Thanksgiving and Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 28, from 7:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. A normal LCM cycle, but no financial cycle, will be run. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any holiday Help Desk calls will be returned on Friday, November 29.
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, November 30, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed, and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, December 2.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Phishing IQ Test
Phishing is a technique used to acquire your information for purposes of identity theft, using fraudulent e-mail messages that appear to come from legitimate businesses. These messages are designed to attempt to trick you into handing over passwords, credit card numbers, account IDs, and Social Security numbers.
Chances are that you've recently received an email in your inbox that appears to be from your bank, ecommerce vendor, or other online site. Can you recognize Phishing attempts? Here are a few places where you can test your phishing savvy:
SonicWALL Phishing IQ Test: http://www.sonicwall.com/furl/phishing/
OpenDNS Quiz: http://www.opendns.com/phishing-quiz/
Stay Secure Online Phishing Race: https://www.staysecureonline.com/staying-safe-online/quiz/
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email at Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
- Quarterly Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, December 4, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 21st Floor Meeting Room
- Webcast Quarterly Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, December 4, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., Online Training
- Encumbrance Management – Thursday, December 5, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Thursday, December 5, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, December 6, 11:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., Online Training
- LCM Management – Monday, December 9, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Vendor Management – Tuesday, December 10, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Wednesday, December 11, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Introduction to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, December 12, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast Interdepartmental Chargebacks– Friday, December 13, 11:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., Online Training
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Checking the Timeline for an Employee's Distribution When modifying an employee’s default distribution, remember to check the “From” and “To” dates in the DEPTE document that is being edited. In most cases, the employee’s default distribution as of a certain date (the From Date) is being changed. The “To” date in that case should be 12/31/9999. If another date appears in the “To” date when the DEPTE is being validated or submitted, the employee has one or more additional time periods (or time slices) for which the default distribution must be modified.
Remember that Employee and Job actions in HR/CMS result in time slices in LCM. Sometimes, multiple actions in HR/CMS result in a fragmented time line for an employee. It is necessary to ensure that all time slices specify the correct accounting distribution for the employee.
Click on “Complete Timeline” in the Employee Information (EEAF) folder in LCM to view all time slices for an employee.