Latest update includes:
- Periodic Allotment
- Purge of Rejected Documents Over 75 Days Old
- MMARS Saturday and Holiday Hours
- Three Personnel Changes in Accounts Payable Bureau
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Smart Phones and Identity Fraud
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Referencing a Statewide Master Agreement (MA) Beyond the MA End Date
On or about Tuesday, October 15, the Executive Office for Administration and Finance will process the third periodic allotment of FY2014 to increase the expenditure ceiling in budgetary accounts to 50% (a two-month allotment).
The next scheduled periodic allotment will be on or about December 9. Agency staff are asked to make ANF budget analysts aware of any requested ad hoc allotments as soon as possible, but no later than the Wednesday prior to the Tuesday ad hoc, to ensure that it can be reviewed by ANF staff in a timely fashion.
Purge of Rejected Documents over 75 Days Old
Rejected documents in the system accumulate in the document catalog and are removed in a regularly scheduled monthly purge of documents over 75 days old. The next purge will occur on October 15 and will delete rejected documents entered before August 1. If you have documents entered before July 1 that you would like to save, please place them on "hold"
To place a document on "hold":
- Locate the document in the Document Catalog.
- Check the checkbox to the left of the document (in the Document Catalog).
- Click "Action Menu", select "Scheduling Actions", select "Mark Document" and choose "Hold".
MMARS Saturday and Holiday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, October 12, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Tuesday, October 15.
MMARS and LCM will be available on Columbus Day, Monday, October 14, from 7 A.M. - 7 P.M. A normal LCM cycle, but no financial cycle will be run. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any holiday Help Desk calls will be returned on Tuesday, October 15.
Three Personnel Changes in Accounts Payable Bureau
Please join us in best wishes for Michael Weld Eyob who will be retiring at the end of October after a distinguished Commonwealth career of over 37 years. He has been an asset to our office and the departments across the Commonwealth.
We are excited to say that Michael will continue to provide his expertise representing CTR for MMARS business requirements on the eProcurement project as OSD implements COMMBUYS, the replacement for Comm-PASS.
It is with great enthusiasm that we announce the promotion of Donna Roux as the next Director of the Accounts Payable Bureau effective October 1. From her two tours here at the Comptroller’s Office as well as working at EHS, Donna brings a wealth of experience to the position, as well as the perspective of the department.
A hearty thanks and congratulations also go out to William Smith, our Payees and Payments Unit Manager, who will retire at the end of 2013. William, who brought a wealth of experience from his career spent in the private sector, wanted to give back to public sector and joined CTR in 1993 for an expected five-year stint. We were lucky to keep him for 20, and wish him all the best for the next phase of his life.
Donna’s former position of Procurement and Tax Reporting Unit Manager has been posted. The Payees/ Payments Unit Manager position will be posted by the end of October.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Smart Phones and Identity Fraud
According to a 2012 Identity Fraud Industry Report, 7% of smartphone owners became a victim of identity theft at least once which is a 33% higher incidence than non-smartphone owners.
What makes smartphone owners susceptible to identity theft? 62% do not use a password on the home screen, 32% do not update their operating system when an update is available, and 32% save login information on their device.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, October 11, 10:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M., Online Training
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Wednesday, October 16, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Intro to LCM Warehouse – Thursday, October 17, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Risk Management – Tuesday, October 22, 9:00 A.M. –12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Conference Room B
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, October 24, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast Interdepartmental Chargeback – Friday, October 25, 10:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M. Online Training
- CIW Report Building with MS Access – Wednesday, October 30, 9:00 A.M. –12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Recurring Payments – Thursday, October 31, 9:00 A.M. –12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week – Referencing a Statewide Master Agreement (MA) Beyond the MA End Date
Several of OSD's Statewide MAs have supporting procurement language that allows departments to enter into an agreement with a vendor that extends beyond the defined statewide MA Expiration Date. CT, RPO, and PC encumbrance transactions may reference an MA if the "Service From" and/or "Service To" dates on the encumbrance are later than the MA Expiration date as long as the following two criteria are met: 1) the initial encumbrance start date falls within the MA dates of service; and, 2) the MA has supporting language that allows such an arrangement.
The encumbrance transaction will reject when submitted in MMARS due to one or both of the following error messages: "Service From Date not within the referenced Dates of Service. (A2891)" or "Service To Date is not within the referenced Dates of Service (A2892)". These error messages will require an override by CTR for the CT and RPO. The request must come from an authorized Department signatory via an email to the Comptroller, Contracts mailbox. For PC overrides contact Elaine LaMonica at OSD.
The following statement must be entered in the MMARS encumbrance transaction Document Comments field: "(Insert Department Name or 3 digit designation) certifies that the encumbrance's initial start date falls within the MA dates of service and the MA being referenced allows an encumbrance end date that goes beyond the MA expiration date". By inserting this specific document comment, a department is certifying that they are using the MA properly and in accordance with its terms. Documents without this statement will not be processed to a Final phase in MMARS.
NOTE: This document comment must be inserted each time the encumbrance is modified. It is not sufficient to refer to a comment that was inserted on a previous version.