Latest update includes:
- Expenditure Classification Handbook Update
- Convenience Pay (ePay pages) Services Infrastructure Change This Weekend
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Tips for a Strong Password
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Bank Account Code on CR Documents
Expenditure Classification Handbook Update
Last week CTR Memo FY2014-11 was released informing departments about changes in the incidental purchase limit. Certain object codes in the HH, LL, MM, NN and UU object classes will allow Incidental Purchases >$5,000 to $10,000 but will require a Commonwealth Terms and Conditions/Standard Contract Form and the use a GAE/GAX. The Expenditure Classification Handbook has been updated to reflect this additional language for these specific object codes. Following is a sample:
U01 TELECOMMUNICATION SERVICES DATA – Payments to a telecommunications company for data lines or leased lines. For telephone chargebacks, see E07. For telecommunications services voice, see U02. For Information Technology (IT) Equipment acquisition and leases, see Object Codes U08 or U09.
|Legal Authority:||M.G.L. c 7, § 4A; M.G.L. c. 29, § 27B, 801 CMR 21.00|
|Oversight Department:||ANF, ITD, OSD, CTR|
|Agreement Type:||Commonwealth Terms and Conditions/Standard|
|Pre/Encumb/Payment Request:||RQS (optional pre-encumbrance)/CT/PRC|
|Incidental Purchase:||GAE/INP use restricted to Incidental Purchases (Incidental Purchases >$5,000 to $10,000 require a Commonwealth Terms and Conditions/Standard Contract Form and use a GAE/GAX)|
Convenience Pay (ePay pages) Services Infrastructure Change This Weekend
Please see the HP Service Bulletin for details on an extended maintenance window on Saturday October 19, and Sunday October 20. The entire Convenience Pay Services production system, with the exception of ftp.paybill.com, will be unavailable from 3:00 A.M. Saturday, October 19 to 12:59 A.M., Monday, October 21.
To avoid an interruption when the service is brought back online, action is required by Commonwealth of Massachusetts IT resources as indicated in the bulletin. Please pass this information on to all appropriate staff in your organization.
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, October 19, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, October 21.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Tips for a Strong Password
The four keys to a strong password are length, complexity, variation, and variety.
- Length: Make your passwords at least eight characters.
- Complexity: Include a combination upper and/or lowercase letters, punctuation, symbols, and numerals.
- Variation. Change your passwords often.
- Variety. Don't use the same password for everything. Cyber criminals can steal passwords from websites that have poor security, and then use those same passwords to target more secure environments, such as banking websites.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Risk Management – Tuesday, October 22, 9:00 A.M. –12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Conference Room B
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, October 24, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast Interdepartmental Chargeback – Friday, October 25, 10:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M. Online Training
- CIW Report Building with MS Access – Wednesday, October 30, 9:00 A.M. –12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Recurring Payments – Thursday, October 31, 9:00 A.M. –12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Tuesday, November 5, 9:00 A.M. –12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Conference Room B
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Wednesday, November 6, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Encumbrance Management – Thursday, November 7, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Thursday, November 7, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week – Bank Account Code on CR Documents
The correct bank account for all CR documents is 0000. Departments that wish to record revenue in Fund 0901 should use the RT document with Bank Account 9999.
Cash Receipt (CR) Document Profile