Latest update includes:
- FY2014-09: Affordable Care Act (ACA) - Overview of Health Insurance Marketplaces
- FY2014-08: Comptroller Office’s FY2014 MMARS Chargeback
- Reporting Requirement for Federal Grants
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 3
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Close/Open Key Dates September 28 – October 5
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – What is Fraud?
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Board Award Field
FY2014-09: Affordable Care Act (ACA) - Overview of Health Insurance Marketplaces
CTR Memo FY2014-09 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. This memo is being posted for reference and to document the various communications sent to departments in support of their issuing the ACA notice by October 1, 2013 to help all employees understand the health insurance Marketplaces option.
FY2014-08: Comptroller Office’s FY2014 MMARS Chargeback
FY2014-08 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. This memo provides guidance and information regarding the Office of the Comptroller’s MMARS chargeback for FY2014 to support the operation of the financial accounting and reporting system for the Commonwealth.
Reporting Requirement for Federal Grants
In June of 2013, departments received instructions regarding the legislative requirement to report quarterly on the status of federal grants applied for. Please see FY2013-28: New Legislative Reporting Requirements for Federal Grants for complete information.
The time has come to submit FY2014 first quarter reports. Departments should update the form submitted last quarter to reflect the current status of all the grants in the last submission, plus add any new grants that have been applied for since that time. It is each department chief fiscal officer’s responsibility to ensure compliance with this reporting requirement. Departments should take steps to ensure that all applicable funds that have been applied for, including newly announced federal funds, existing grant award requests for increase, and federal funds applied for that were not awarded are included in the spreadsheet. Please remember to maintain this submission in your department files as a reference for any subsequent review by the Office of the Comptroller and the Executive Office for Administration and Finance.
Please complete the Federal Grants Status form located in the General Outbound (Common Access) section of PartnerNet. Please return it no later than 10/11/2013 by uploading it to the Comptroller’s General Inbound Box on PartnerNet. Instructions for using PartnerNet to upload and complete the Federal Grants Status form are included. The form should be uploaded by ALL departments to PartnerNet even if your Department currently has not applied for any federal grants.
All CFOs and GAAP Liaisons have access to upload the confirmation form to PartnerNet. CFOs can designate other department personnel to upload the Federal Grants Reporting Form on PartnerNet. Department Security Officers can request access for additional users by submitting a PartnerNet Security Request Form . Individuals needing access to PartnerNet to upload the form will be processed as soon as possible.
For further assistance, please contact Taneka Simmons, Director of Federal Grants & Cost Allocation Bureau at 617-973-2606.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 3
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 3 (September), FY2014, will be run on Saturday, October 5. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 3 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, September 28, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, September 30.
Close/Open Key Dates September 28 – October 5
October 1, Tuesday
- All Federal Grant Unexpended Balances for ACD and NCD appropriations must be resolved by October 1.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - What is Fraud?
Fraud is any intentional illegal acts characterized by deceit, concealment, or violation of trust. Frauds are committed by individuals and organizations to:
- obtain money, property, or services
- to avoid payment or loss of services
- to secure personal or business advantage
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- CIW Report Building with MS Excel – Monday, September 30, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Room
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Wednesday, October 2, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Encumbrance Management – Thursday, October 3, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Thursday, October 3, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- LCM Management – Thursday, October 10, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, October 11, 10:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M., Online Training
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Wednesday, October 16, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Intro to LCM Warehouse – Thursday, October 17, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week – Board Award Field
The completion of the Board Award field in the header/reference section of the CT, PC and RPO transactions is required by joint Comptroller and OSD policy. This applies to all vendor-specific and open-order encumbrances, as well as to encumbrances under and over a department’s delegation amount.
Departments must enter the request for response (RFR) number in the Board Award field or, if applicable, one of the procurement exceptions as follows. (This field must not be left blank.)
|INP||for Incidental Purchase|
|LEG Exempt||for Legislative Exemption|
|Emergency||for Emergency Contract|
|Collective||for Collective Purchase, or|
|Interim||for Interim Contract|
In the absence of an RFR number or procurement exception, a department-assigned contract tracking number or descriptive text should be entered in the field. The field is 15 characters in length. If the RFR number is more than 15 characters in length, it may be truncated.