Latest update includes:
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 8
- Debt Collection – Validating Debt Prior To Submission to Debt Collection Agency or Intercept
- Annual Department Security Officer (DSO) Briefing March 6
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Protect Yourself Against Mobile Phone Scams
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – How to Determine Whether a Department is an Authorized Chargeback Department
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 8
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 8 (February), FY2014, will be run on Saturday, March 8. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 8 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
Debt Collection – Validating Debt Prior To Submission to Debt Collection Agency or Intercept
Pursuant to 815 CMR 9.03 (1), all State Department billing entities, and any other billing entity using the Intercept process or the Statewide Contract for Debt Collection Services (PRF55DesignatedOSC), are required to maintain detailed records to support the collection of accounts receivable, that a debt is accurate and legally enforceable, and to support the accuracy of debtor information.
This means that debts should not be submitted to Intercept or to a debt collection agency under the Statewide Contract unless a department has validated that the debt is accurate and can be collected, and that no statute of limitations for collection has expired. Statewide Contract debt collection agencies may request validation that a debt exceeding 6 years is authorized to be collected under separate authority.
Annual Department Security Officer (DSO) Briefing March 6
The Annual Department Security Officer Briefing is scheduled for Thursday, March 6, from 9:30 A.M. -12:00 P.M. in the 21st Floor Conference Room at One Ashburton Place, Boston. Please join representatives from CTR, ITD, and OSD for an informative session on timely topics. The full agenda will be circulated once finalized.
This session will be webcast for those who cannot attend in person. Please register for this session (live meeting or webcast) via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule.
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available on Saturday, March 1, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, March 3.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Protect Yourself Against Mobile Phone Scams
Over the past few weeks, residents have reported being targeted by a cell phone scam. A call is received from the following area codes:
(268) – Antigua
(809) – Dominican Republic
(876) – Jamaica
(284) – British Virgin Islands
(473) – Grenada
The caller either lets it ring a few times or hangs up if the call is answered. Seeing the number on their phone people are curious and call the number. The call is often routed to a pay by minute service, charging up to $19.95 a minute to your cell phone bill.
How can you protect yourself? Don’t answer unknown calls on your cell phone. Google any unknown phone numbers to see where they originate before calling them back.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email at Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Tuesday, March 4, 9:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Risk Management – Wednesday, March 5, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Security Officers Briefing – Thursday, March 6, 9:30 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 21st Floor Conference Room
- Webcast Security Officers Briefing – Thursday, March 6, 9:30 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., Online Meeting
- Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, March 12, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 21st Floor Conference Room
- Webcast Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, March 12, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., Online Training
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Tuesday, March 18, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Executive Conference Room
- Intermediate State MMARS Warehouse – Wednesday, March 19, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through 2014.
MMARS Hint of the Week - How to Determine Whether a Department is an Authorized Chargeback Department
You can look up whether a department is authorized to be a Chargeback Department on the VCUST table. Authorized Chargeback Departments are assigned an Internal Vendor Code beginning with the first 5 characters “ISELL”. The 6th character will be “B” for budgetary chargeback, “S” for statutory chargeback or “A” for administrative chargeback. The 7-9th characters indicate the type of goods/services and the last 3 characters are the MMARS department ID. An example of this is the ISELLBMAROSC Internal Vendor Code is used by the Comptroller's office for the MMARS Accounting System Chargeback.
Please note that the 6-9 characters also represent the alpha Revenue Source code that is established to record the revenue for each chargeback. Therefore, a department with legislative authorization for multiple types of charges will have an Internal Vendor Code and matching Revenue Source Code for each separately authorized fee.
Click on “Search” and, under “Vendor/Customer”, enter “ISELL*”. The search will display the list of Internal Vendor codes for authorized chargeback departments. (Make sure you include the asterisk “*” or it will not display the full listing.) The “Legal Name” will identify the type of Authorized Chargeback goods or services. Click on the “Address” link and, under “Contact Information”, you will see the name and email for the Principal Contact Person at the Chargeback Department.
Departments seeking to become a Chargeback Department, or for policies governing Chargeback business, see the Chargeback Department Authorization Form and the Contracts Policies page on the CTR Web Portal.