Latest update includes:
- FY2015-01: Fringe Benefit and Payroll Tax Rates
- FY2014 Mid-Year Capital Asset Inventory Review Due February 14
- Settlements and Judgments Update
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 7
- MMARS Unavailable Saturday
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Why can Email Attachments be Dangerous?
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Contract Employees
FY2014 Mid-Year Capital Asset Inventory Review Due February 14
The Capital Asset Inventory Review is due on Friday, February 14. Please see CTR Memo FY2014-19 for details and instructions.
Settlements and Judgments Update
The Settlement and Judgment Policy, Settlement and Judgment Authorization Form, and the Notice Of Commonwealth Responsibilities For Settlement/Judgment Tax Withholdings, Intercept, Tax Reporting (W-2, 1099-Misc 1099-INT and Public Records Disclosure) have been updated to reflect the new public records requirements as a result of a recent lawsuit.
CTR is now be required to release the name of any payee of a settlement or judgment unless the payee name is barred from disclosure by statute. Requests for settlement/judgment documents or other information will be referred to the Claimant Department. Please ensure that all staff involved with settlements and judgments, including payroll staff, are forwarded the link to the Settlements and Judgments Page for the updated policy on Public Records Requests, and use the New SJ Authorization Form for all future claims. The LMRF (Liability Management Reduction Fund) process and forms for tort claims under G.L. c. 258 have not changed.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 7
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 7 (January), FY2014, will be run this Saturday, February 8. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 7 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
MMARS Unavailable Saturday
MMARS and LCM will be unavailable Saturday due to scheduled system processing.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Why can Email Attachments be Dangerous
Some of the characteristics that make email attachments convenient and popular are also the ones that make them a common tool for attackers:
- Email is easily circulated - Forwarding email is so simple that viruses can quickly infect many machines. Most viruses don't even require users to forward the email - they scan a user’s computer for email addresses and automatically send the infected message to all of the addresses they find. Attackers take advantage of the reality that most users will automatically trust and open any message that comes from someone they know.
- Email programs try to address all users' needs: Almost any type of file can be attached to an email message, so attackers have more freedom with the types of viruses they can send.
- Email programs offer many "user-friendly" features - Some email programs have the option to automatically download email attachments, which immediately exposes your computer to any viruses within the attachments.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email at Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Tuesday, February 11, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Friday, February 14, 9:00 A.M. –12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Conference Room B
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Wednesday, February 19, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Encumbrance Management – Thursday, February 20, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Thursday, February 20, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, February 21, 11:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., Online Training
- Intro to HR/CMS Payroll Warehouse – Wednesday, February 26, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- CIW Report Building with MS Excel – Thursday, February 27, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through 2014.
- Contract employees (as determined by the Commonwealth 3 Part Test in the Employee â Employer Relationship: Contract Employees policy) are paid out of HR/CMS.
- Contract employees are paid out of the CC subsidiary.
- The Object Code for Contract employee travel-related expenses is C98.
- Multiple accounts can be used to pay contract employees and their travel expenses.
- HR/CMS has predictive reports on payroll that include contract employees.