Latest update includes:
- 1099 Form Requests from Vendors
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 7
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Corruption
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Program Codes (PROG) and Federal Grants
1099 Form Requests from Vendors
Tax Year 2012 1099 Forms are now available on VendorWeb. Vendors requesting 1099 reprints should be instructed to log onto VendorWeb with their 12-character vendor code and last four digits of their Tax Identification Number (TIN) (NEVER provide this information to a requestor.), click on the "1099" link on the left side of the screen and select the tax year 2012. For reference purposes, several prior year 1099s are provided. VendorWeb has been enhanced to list the Commonwealth’s Federal Employer Identification number which is needed when filing electronic tax returns. VendorWeb does not have taxpayer identification, but that data is not needed on the form to file tax returns.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 7
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 7 (January), FY2013 will be run on Saturday, February 9. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 7 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday February 2, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, February 4.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Corruption
Corruption is one of the three main categories of fraud and can take many forms:
- Abuse of Power
- Conflict of Interest
- Illegal Gratuity
Definitions and potential red flags for many of these examples can be found in our Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse file size 2MB .
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Monday, February 4, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, February 8, 10:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M., online training
- Encumbrance Management – Tuesday, February 12, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Tuesday, February 12, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, February 14, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- LCM Management – Tuesday, February 19, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Wednesday, February 20, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, February 21, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for three months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week – Program Codes (PROG) and Federal Grants
All Departments managing accounts in the grants fund (0100) are required to post a Program Code for all expenditures. Departments should be mindful of the fact that Program Codes are the link to the automated central draw process when applicable.