Latest update includes:
- CTR Memo FY2014-04: Official Opening of FY2014
- Federal Grant Revenues
- CTR Payroll Staff Assists Unemployment Coordinators
- MMARS Saturday Schedule
- Close/Open Key Dates July 20-27
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Whistleblower Protection
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Check Status
CTR Memo FY2014-04: Official Opening of FY2014
CTR Memo FY2014-04 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. The FY2014 General Appropriation Act, Chapter 38 of the Acts of 2013, has been signed. This memo announces that July 15, 2013 is the official “opening date” of the accounting system. A deadline of July 30, 2013 is established for the alignment of encumbrances and expenditures with the enacted budget.
Federal Grant Revenues
Departments should use the attached template to identify federal grant (Fund 0100) revenues that posted in FY2014 but should be used to reimburse FY2013 expenditures. Please contact Andrew Richardson of the Federal Grants and Cost Allocation Bureau at (617) 973-2456 with any questions.
CTR Payroll Staff Assists Unemployment Coordinators
The Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA) recently released UI Online for Claimants, a new module for online unemployment benefits administration. Payroll Directors and Benefit Coordinators were notified about the new application by CTR Payroll staff, who will assist in managing department access to the application. Questions can be emailed to CTR Statewide Payroll.
MMARS Saturday Schedule
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, July 20, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, July 22.
Close/Open Key Dates July 20-27
July 22, Monday
- Last date to enter CEC/GAEC Event Type PR22 in MMARS.
July 25, Thursday
- All 2013 PRN transactions must be cleared.
July 26, Friday
- All PRLIF, PRLDE, and PRADJ documents for FY2013 should be in Final status.
- Departments must complete Period 1-12 Fringe/Indirect reject cleanup.
- Certification of Capital Assets Inventory due.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Whistleblower Protection
Chapter 149, Section 185 of the General Laws protects public employees who wish to make disclosures to expose violations of law or risk to public health, safety or environment in a “whistleblower” mode.
- Who is protected? Employees of the Commonwealth.
- What are whistleblowers protected from? Firing, suspension, demotion or any adverse employment action being taken as a reprisal.
- What kinds of disclosures are protected? Disclosure of any activity or practice that is in violation of a law, rule or regulation or poses a risk to public health, safety or the environment.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- LCM Management – Monday, July 22, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Establishing a Federal Grant in MMARS – Tuesday, July 23, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Wednesday, July 24, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Recurring Payments for Beginners – Thursday, July 25, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to LCM Warehouse – Tuesday, July 30, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- CIW Report Building with MS Excel – Wednesday, July 31, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Thursday, August 1, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, August 9, 1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M., Online Training
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Check Status
The Paid Check (PDCHK) table allows users to view the status of a payment and the date it cleared. This is particularly useful if a vendor has misplaced a check. Checks with no cleared date indicates the bank has not liquidated the payment.
To search on the table:
- Click on Search and Page Search.
- Enter PDCHK in Page Code.
- Select “Paid Checks” from list.
- Enter the check number, alternately enter the Doc Code, Doc Department and Document ID of the disbursement in question.
- Click Browse.
- Search results will populate below the search criteria.
- The status column indicates if the check has been Paid (check was cashed), Stale Dated (check was not cashed and expired) or Cancelled (check was cancelled).
- The Clear Dated column indicates the date the payment cleared the bank.