Latest update includes:
- Processing LARQ's and PRADJ's
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Close/Open Key Dates July 26 - August 2
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Document Reference
Processing LARQ’s and PRADJ’s
Department ability to process payroll adjustments (LARQ’s and PRADJ’s) was suspended while CTR modified payroll expenses that did not split correctly during the cross fiscal year payroll. As of today, ability to submit LARQ’s and PRADJ’s has been restored.
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, July 26, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, July 28.
July 26, Saturday
- Period 1-12 Fringe/Indirect cleanup.
July 28, Monday
- Last day to enter AP payroll for Pay Period ending 7/26/2014.
July 30, Wednesday
- Preliminary GASB49 Liability due for all departments.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact:
KPMG 2013 Global Profiles of the Fraudster
Between August of 2011 and February of 2013 KPMG analyzed 596 fraudsters involved in acts committed in 78 countries. The survey focused on “white collar” crime.
The Three Drivers of Fraud: Opportunity, Motivation, Rationale
In order to understand a fraudster’s profile it is useful to consider three drivers of fraud: opportunity, motivation and rationale. In almost all cases this explains why fraud occurs and why a particular type of person becomes a fraudster.
Opportunity: People do not commit fraud without an opportunity presenting itself.
A plurality of fraudsters in the surveyed cases has worked in the victim organization for more than six years, and nearly three quarters of the frauds committed were conducted over a 1-5 year period. This implies that fraudsters do not join an organization with the aim of committing fraud. However, changes in personal circumstances or pressures to meet aggressive business targets may create the conditions conducive to fraud. They may commit the fraud once they are comfortable in their job and enjoy the trust and respect of their colleagues.
How does opportunity present itself? According to the KPMG survey, 54% of the frauds were facilitated by weak internal controls. This suggests that if organizations tightened controls and the supervision of employees the opportunity for fraud would be severely curtailed.
Next week’s Fraud Awareness and Prevention fact will focus on the motivation for an individual to commit fraud.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via Email: Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth's Whistleblower Hotlines.
- CIW Report Building with MS Access – Tuesday, July 29, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- LCM Management – Wednesday, July 30, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Accounts Receivable for Beginners – Thursday, July 31, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Tuesday, August 5, 9:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- HR/CMS Fundamentals – Wednesday, August 6, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, August 7, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- CIW Report Building with MS Excel – Tuesday, August 12, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Risk Management – Wednesday, August 13, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Conference Room B
- Encumbrance Management – Thursday, August 14, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Thursday, August 14, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Conference Room B
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, August 15, 1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M., Online Training
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled through August and Payroll User Groups through 2014.
- Make sure you are in a document.
- Click on the drop down menu arrow, to the right of the Document Identifier (top of screen, near the middle)
- Then click on Document References.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.