Latest update includes:
- Re-Activating Inactive Vendors
- Statutory Receivable Web Application
- Federal Grant Revenues
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Close/Open Key Dates July 27 – August 3
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Conduct a Fraud Risk Assessment
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Changing Department Contact Information in MMARS
Re-Activating Inactive Vendors
Inactivating vendors with no activity for at least the last four years is an important step in the Commonwealth’s ongoing efforts to minimize any opportunity for fraud, waste or abuse of taxpayer funds.
Given the mobility of individuals, it is a reasonable practice to verify any dormant relationship prior to re-engaging them in payment activity. It is always the department’s responsibility to know their vendors and assure the accuracy of the payment delivery information. The employee’s UAID recorded on the VCC or VCM confirms all proper validation has been done.
When re-activating a vendor that has no change to W-9 data, no paperwork is necessary. Document Comments in the VCM are required stating that all fields have been verified as correct: “all data fields are confirmed with no changes”. If there are any changes, of course a W-9 is needed.
An email submitted to email@example.com will be sufficient to initiate the modification. The email must include the VCM Document Identification number of the VCM in Pend status.
CTR offered a transition period for this first group of inactivated vendors but the period has ended.
Statutory Receivable Web Application
Statutory Receivable web application is now available on PartnerNet. Since testing took longer than expected, the deadline for the preliminary submission has been extended to August 9, and the final submission deadline remains September 6.
Federal Grant Revenues
Departments should use the attached template to identify federal grant (Fund 0100) revenues that posted in FY2014 but should be used to reimburse FY2013 expenditures. Please contact Andrew Richardson of the Federal Grants and Cost Allocation Bureau at (617) 973-2456 with any questions.
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, July 27, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, July 29.
Close/Open Key Dates July 27 – August 3
July 29, Monday
- Last day to enter Accounts Payable payroll for pay period ending 7/27/2013.
July 30, Tuesday
- For all departments, preliminary GASB49 Liability calculation due the CTR Financial Reporting and Accounting Bureau.
August 2, Friday
- Preliminary estimate for statutory receivables due to CTR General Accounting Bureau.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Conduct a Fraud Risk Assessment
Conduct a Fraud Risk Assessment to identify areas where fraud may occur. A fraud risk assessment should consider relevant fraud schemes and scenarios and map them to mitigating controls. The assessment should include the likelihood and significance of a fraud scheme to help you prioritize high risk areas. Templates for conducting a Fraud Risk Assessment are available in the Institute of Internal Auditor’s Managing the Business Risk of Fraud.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Intro to LCM Warehouse – Tuesday, July 30, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- CIW Report Building with MS Excel – Wednesday, July 31, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, August 9, 1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M., Online Training
- Accounts Receivable for Beginners – Tuesday, August 13, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Wednesday, August 14, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Encumbrance Management – Thursday, August 15, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Thursday, August 15, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
Changing Department Contact Information in MMARS
Sometimes departments move, or have new key contacts. The following tables may need to be updated, to do so fill out a Table Change Request Form and submit to The Office of the Comptroller.
- Contact Table (CNTAC): This is the table to change MMARS contact codes, which are commonly a department contact and telephone number. These codes are attached to many different documents, for example, the disbursed paper checks and EFTs (electronic funds transfer). Look in the Department table (DEPT) in MMARS to find out which contact code is linked to the disbursements. The main contact code can also be found there.
- Department Billing Profile (DBPRO): The department billing profile is used for receivables. The organization/contact information, as well as the contact code can be changed.
- Billing Instructions table (BINST): This table contains billing instruction codes used for dunning notices. They often contain specific instructions on where to send payments.
Procurement Location (PLOC): The procurement location table contains billing and shipping location codes used in encumbrance documents.