Latest update includes:
- CTR Memo FY2013-30: Earnings Code Processing During Accounts Payable Pay Periods
- MMARS Holiday and Saturday Schedule
- Pay Advices and Checks - Holiday Schedule Pick up at Noon on Friday, July 5
- Federal Grants Updates
- Payroll User Group Files Posted
- PAC Request Form
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 12
- Close/Open Key Dates July 6 – 13
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Logical and Physical Access
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – EFT Hierarchy
CTR Memo FY2013-30: Earnings Code Processing During Accounts Payable Pay Periods
CTR Memo FY2013-30 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. This memo informs departments of the methodology for distributing and recording HR/CMS Payroll charges in LCM and MMARS during the Accounts Payable pay periods. To accommodate multi-year payroll processing, certain earnings codes will charge only to FY2013. This memo provides Payroll Directors with detailed guidelines on how to charge FY2013 during the Accounts Payable pay periods.
MMARS Holiday and Saturday Schedule
MMARS and LCM will be available on Thursday, July 4, from 7 A.M. - 7 P.M. A normal LCM cycle but no financial cycle will be run. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any holiday Help Desk calls will be returned on Friday, July 5.
MMARS and LCM will be unavailable Saturday, July 6 due to scheduled system processing.
Pay Advices and Checks - Holiday Schedule Pick up at Noon on Friday, July 5
Pay advices and checks will be available at One Ashburton Place at noon on Friday, July 5. Over 96% of employees have their pay direct deposited and will have funds available on the normal schedule, Friday morning, July 5. It is a safe, easy way for you to receive your pay. If you are away on vacation or on the road, you will not have to worry about getting and cashing your check. To sign up, see your payroll department.
Federal Grants Updates
Due to the holiday, a federal grants cycle for this week will not run. Next week’s cycle will include two weeks of activity.
Starting next week, departments should review both the N495W and the N495WP (Accounts Payable Period) Reports for federal grants regarding intent to draw.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 12
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 12 (June), FY2013 will be run this Saturday, July 6. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 12 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs.
Close/Open Key Dates July 6 – 13
July 6, Saturday
- Fringe, Indirect & Payroll Tax Period 12.
- RE Roll.
July 7, Sunday
- RE Roll continues.
July 8, Monday
- V & V RE Roll.
- GAAP Distribution #2.
July 10, Wednesday
- Target date to submit EAs to CTR to close FY2013 advances.
July 12, Friday
- Final day to enter FY2013 fixed asset additions, disposals, changes, and transfers.
- Final HMBEN008 Compensated Absences Balance Report as of 6/30/2013 (available on document direct) for audit.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Logical and Physical Access
Review logical access and physical access to systems to prevent fraud.
Questions to consider regarding logical access:
- Are you granting the appropriate level of access to users and is that access reviewed periodically?
- When an employee leaves, is access terminated in a timely manner?
Do system passwords expire, are they complex enough, and can they be repeated?
Regarding physical access:
- Is the server room locked?
- Do you perform a regular inventory of laptops, smart phones, and other small items with a high value?
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- HR/CMS Fundamentals – Wednesday, July 10, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Wednesday, July 10, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Encumbrance Management – Thursday, July 11, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast Interdepartmental Chargebacks – Friday, July 12, 1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M. Online Training
- Payment Management – Tuesday, July 16, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, July 18, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- LCM Management – Monday, July 22, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Establishing a Federal Grant in MMARS – Tuesday, July 23, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Wednesday, July 24, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Recurring Payments for Beginners – Thursday, July 25, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - EFT Hierarchy
EFT information located in the vendor/customer section of a vendor code is the default value for disbursements. If there is no EFT information present, the default value is a paper check. EFT set up on a payment address takes precedence over EFT on the vendor/customer section. If EFT is set up in both the payment address and vendor/customer sections, the system will use the EFT in the payment address. If a payment address has a prenote rejected status, and the vendor/customer section has EFT information, an EFT will generate to the EFT’s information under Vendor customer section.