Latest update includes:
- FY2015-03: FY2015 Interim Budget Guidance
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 12
- Pay Advices and Checks - Holiday Schedule Pick-up after Noon on Thursday, July 3
- Statewide Contracts Updates
- Close/Open News
- MMARS Holiday and Saturday Schedule
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Improving Your Cyber Security On the Web
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week - Links
FY2015-03: FY2015 Interim Budget Guidance
CTR Memo FY2015-03 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. The Fiscal Year 2015 Interim Budget has been signed. This memo offers guidance on operating under an interim budget.
Massachusetts lawmakers approved a compromise $36.5 billion state budget on Monday. The Governor has 10 days to act on the proposal. During this 10 day period, until the budget is signed, we are operating under the interim budget.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 12
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 12 (June), FY2014, will be run on Saturday, July 12. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 12 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
Pay Advices and Checks - Holiday Schedule Pick-up after Noon on Thursday, July 3
Pay advices and checks will be available at One Ashburton Place after noon on Thursday, July 3. The mailroom will be closed on Friday, July 4.
Over 96% of employees have their pay direct deposited and will have funds available on Thursday morning, July 3. Direct Deposit is a safe, easy way for you to receive your pay. If you are away on vacation or on the road, you will not have to worry about getting and cashing your check. To sign up, see your payroll department.
Statewide Contract for Electronic Payment Services
The Statewide Contract for Electronic Payment Processing services for receiving payments through credit cards, debit cards, IVR, ACH (electronic checks) has been renewed for its final year. Departments are required to review the OSD UPDATE for this Statewide Contract for using the contract.
Contract #: PRF44DesignatedOSC
COMMBUYS Master Blanket Purchase Order PO-14-1079-1079C-1079C-00000001375
MMARS #: MAOSDPRF44designatedOSC updated and is active through 6/30/15.
Statewide Contract for Information Management, Security and Compliance Audits Including Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standards (DSS) Compliance
This is a reminder that this Contract is available for use by Departments to ensure compliance when accepting electronic payments and for other information security audits, compliance reviews of standards, and systems and controls to protect personally identifiable information and other sensitive data. Please review the Contract User Guide for this Contract, and the Comptroller Payment Collection Data Security Policy for compliance requirements. Compliance with this Policy is required for use of the Electronic Payments Statewide Contract PRF44DesignatedOSC noted above.
Contract #: PRF56DesignatedOSC
COMMBUYS Master Blanket Purchase Order PO-14-1079-1079C-1079C-00000001430
MMARS MA #: MAOSDPRF56DesignatedOSC
Close of FY2014 Encumbrances
The official last day for processing any FY2014 encumbrances in MMARS was Monday June 30, 2014. Any FY2014 encumbrance transaction after June 30th is a late encumbrance. For further guidance, see the late encumbrance section starting on page 47 of the Close/Open Instructions.
There are three types of net zero dollar adjustments that are allowed from 7/1-8/29. Requests for net zero adjustments (see explanation on page 48 of the Close/Open). All zero dollar adjustment requests should be e-mailed to Comptroller.firstname.lastname@example.org
Close/Open Key Dates July 4 – 12
July 4, Friday
- RE Roll.
July 7, Monday
- Verify and Validate RE Roll.
July 9, Wednesday
- Target date for Accounting FY2014 Advances (EAs).
July 11, Friday
- Final day to enter FY2014 fixed asset additions, disposals, changes, and transfers.
MMARS Holiday and Saturday Schedule
MMARS and LCM will be unavailable on Friday, July 4, due to the RE Roll.
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, July 5, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, July 7.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Improving Your Cyber Security On the Web
Posting personal information to social networks such as Facebook or LinkedIn can provide another avenue for attackers to gather information on you. When using these sites, turn your security feature and privacy settings to their most strict level to prevent unauthorized people from viewing your personal information. Subsequently, you should think carefully before adding a new person to your "network”.
Most social networks also have tools that will allow you to limit what content certain groupings of connections can see. With an ever-increasing amount of commerce and general interaction with services transitioning to the web, it is also crucial to ensure that the websites you are using are secure. Whenever connecting to a website that collects personal information or facilitates payment or the transfer of funds, you should ensure that it is being done over an encrypted connection. Some signs that the website is secure are a web address beginning with "https" or the presence of a padlock when connected to the site.
Sending and receiving documents or information via email has become increasingly popular for its ease and speed, but you should take caution when transmitting information using this method. Try to utilize email providers that support both encrypted connections and encrypted sending/receiving of messages. Older and legacy email addresses (e.g. Hotmail) tend to be some of the least secure. Surprisingly, most email services provided by internet service providers (e.g. Comcast or Verizon) do NOT support encrypted transmission.
Even if you are taking precautions to secure your email, there is no guarantee that the person on the other end is. If they have a weak password or use an email service that does not use encrypted connection portals, any personal information that you send them is at risk, so use caution when sending sensitive information via email.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email at Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Tuesday, July 8, 9:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Risk Management – Wednesday, July 9, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, July 10, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Federal Grant Activity Reconciliation – Tuesday, July 15, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to HR/CMS Payroll Warehouse – Wednesday, July 16, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Thursday, July 17, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, July 18, 1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M., Online Training
- Encumbrance Management – Tuesday, July 22, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Tuesday, July 22, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Wednesday, July 23, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Vendor Management – Thursday, July 24, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled through August and Payroll User Groups through 2014.
MMARS Hint of the Week – Links
Any underlined word, doc id, or page code in MMARS is an “actionable link’. Clicking on the link will perform the action, open the document or open the table.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.