Latest update includes:
- Funds Availability Checking for Pay Period Ending 8/9/2014
- HR/CMS Report Available
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 1
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Close/Open Key Dates August 2-9
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - KPMG 2013 Global Profiles of the Fraudster
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Create a Favorites List
Funds Availability Checking for Pay Period Ending 8/9/2014
For FY2015 payroll charges, the Funds Availability process will enforce the usual rules for all Account Types. Payroll Holds are required for all FY2014 payroll charges. When submitting a Payroll Hold, departments must include a justification as a comment and enter 2014 for Budget Fiscal Year, 2014 for Fiscal Year, and 13 for the Accounting Period in the Header.
HR/CMS Report Available
The HMBEN008 Compensated Absence Report is now available on Document Direct, run date 7/25/2014.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 1
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 1 (July), FY2015, is tentatively scheduled to run on Saturday, August 9. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 1 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, August 2, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, August 4.
Close/Open Key Dates August 2 - 9
August 4, Monday
- Basic FY2014 departmental GAAP packages due.
- Higher Education Statutory Accounts Payable Information Fund 0901 due.
August 8, Friday
- Preliminary estimate for statutory receivables due to CTR General Accounting Bureau.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - KPMG 2013 Global Profiles of the Fraudster
Between August of 2011 and February of 2013 KPMG analyzed 596 fraudsters involved in acts committed in 78 countries. The survey focused on “white collar” crime.
The Three Drivers of Fraud: Opportunity, Motivation, Rationale
In order to understand a fraudster’s profile it is useful to consider three drivers of fraud: opportunity, motivation and rationale. Last week we reviewed the fact that fraud cannot occur without opportunity presenting itself. Motivation plays a key role as well.
Fraud, as with any crime, requires a motive. According to the KPMG survey, the overwhelming reason from committing fraud is financial; including greed, financial gain, financial difficulty, pressure to meet stringent financial targets. The only non-financial motive respondents reported was sheer eagerness (or “because I can get away with it”)
Next week’s Fraud Awareness and Prevention fact will focus on the rationale.
Fraud prevention and detection must be a part of each employee’s job. If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email at Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
- HR/CMS Fundamentals – Wednesday, August 6, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, August 7, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- CIW Report Building with MS Excel – Tuesday, August 12, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Wednesday, August 13, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Risk Management – Wednesday, August 13, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Conference Room B
- Encumbrance Management – Thursday, August 14, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Thursday, August 14, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Room
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, August 15, 1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M., Online Training
- Appropriation Management – Tuesday, August 19, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Tuesday, August 19, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Intro to LCM Warehouse – Wednesday, August 20, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Establishing a Federal Grant in MMARS – Thursday, August 21, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled through August and Payroll User Groups through 2014.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Create a Favorites List
To create a favorites list in MMARS:
- Open a document that you would like to add to your favorites list.
- Right mouse click anywhere on the document and select Add to Favorites from the drop down menu.
- A window then displays on your screen prompting you to enter a name for the favorite. Enter a unique name for the new favorite and click OK.
A message displays at the top of the screen indicating that: The favorite was successfully added.
To view your favorites list, return to the document catalog and click Favorites.
Note: To view the most updated version of your favorites list, collapse and then open the favorites menu to refresh the list.
To remove a favorite from your favorites list in MMARS:
- Click Personalize at the top of the screen.
- Click the Favorites link. A window containing your favorites list displays.
- Select the favorite(s) to delete from the list. Note: Do not select the Folder checkbox when removing favorites. Only select the name of the favorite to delete it. A check mark will display to the left of those favorites that are selected.
- Click the Delete link to remove all selected favorites from your favorites list.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.