Latest update includes:
- FY2013-27: Earnings Codes Processing During Split-Year Pay Period
- FY2013-26: Statutory Receivable Instructions
- FY2013-25: FY2013 GAAP Instructions
- Federal Grants Reporting Mandate
- Monitor the DISRQ Table for Payments Greater than 43 Days
- MMARS Chargeback
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Purge of Rejected Documents over 75 Days Old
- Close/Open Key Dates June 15 – 22
- Statewide Contracts Training
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Fraud Prevention Training and Communication
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Contracts Greater than Delegation
FY2013-27: Earnings Codes Processing During Split-Year Pay Period
CTR Memo FY2013-27 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. This memo informs departments of the methodology for distributing and recording payroll charges in HR/CMS and LCM/MMARS during the split-year payroll period. The split-year percentage (SYP) for most payroll charges will be 100% for FY2014. All reimbursements will charge to FY2013 as will the other exceptions.
FY2013-26: Statutory Receivable Instructions
CTR Memo FY2013-26 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. The statutory receivable instructions provide guidance to departments on reporting to the Comptroller’s Office receivables due from a governmental body that are related to expenses incurred on or before June 30 and collected between July 1 and August 31. The preliminary estimate is due on August 2 and the final report is due on September 6.
FY2013-25: FY2013 GAAP Instructions
FY2013-25: FY2013 GAAP Instructions (issued 6/6/2013) has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. This is the 26th edition of instructions for financial reporting on Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) basis. The Instructions/GAAP Package provides guidance to departments on reporting year-end activity and obligations to the Comptroller’s Office. The Comptroller’s Office is responsible for publishing annual financial reports of the Commonwealth. The due date for submitting the GAAP Package is Monday, August 5, 2013.
Federal Grants Reporting Mandate
Recent revisions to M.G.L. Chapter 29, Section 6B require the Office of the Comptroller to report quarterly to the House and Senate Committees on Ways and Means on the status of federal funds applied for, received, and expended. A fiscal year memo to Chief Fiscal Officers and other fiscal staff with instructions to departments on how to comply with this mandate will be issued within a week. Please contact Taneka Simmons if you have any immediate questions.
Monitor the DISRQ Table for Payments Greater than 43 Days
Departments should not have payments on the Disbursement Request Table (DISRQ) scheduled beyond 43 days.
To identify payments:
1. Navigate to DISRQ Table.
2. Enter three-digit Department code.
3. Current date plus 42 days (>xx/xx/xxxx in the Scheduled Payment Date field).
Any payments that populate should be investigated and possibly rescheduled. This should be run weekly.
Release payments on a hold status by
- Navigate to DISRQ.
- Enter three digit Department code.
- Select “Yes” on User Hold.
This will bring up a list of payment documents that are on currently on hold. Release the payments by unchecking the user hold box under Disbursement Control and clicking Save. Alternately they may be cancelled from the document catalog by searching for it and following these instructions:
- Check the box to the left of the Doc ID, then
- Click the Action Menu,
- Select Editing Actions and
- Select Discard.
- This generates a message notifying you of the creation of a cancellation draft document.
- Locate the cancellation document and open it.
- Click Validate.
The sixth and final FY2013 billing for the Office of the Comptroller's MMARS chargeback to support the operation of the Financial Accounting and Reporting System for the Commonwealth has been entered. Billings are sent bi-monthly. This billing is for actual usage based on transaction lines posted to the general ledger for the month of May. May actual usage was used to determine June estimated billing. The document ID will be:
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, June 15, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, June 17.
Purge of Rejected Documents over 75 Days Old
Rejected documents in the system accumulate in the document catalog and are removed in a regularly scheduled monthly purge of documents over 75 days old. The next purge will occur on June 17 and will delete rejected documents entered before April 1. If you have documents entered before April 1 that you would like to save, please place them on "hold".
To place a document on "hold":
- Locate the document in the Document Catalog.
- Check the checkbox to the left of the document (in the Document Catalog).
- Click "Action Menu", select "Scheduling Actions", select "Mark Document" and choose "Hold".
Close/Open Key Dates June 15 – 22
June 14, Friday
- Completed requests to pay payroll prior year deficiencies out of FY2013 funds must be received in the Comptroller's Office by June 14.
- Higher Education GAAP Instructions distributed.
- Last day for posting payroll time for pay period ending June 15.
June 17, Monday
- Begin RE Open Activity Roll testing.
June 19, Wednesday
- Establish Reference tables for LCM FACTR, WKCYC, WKDAY, and SPAR.
June 20, Thursday
- Target date for processing all customer overpayment returns (RFs).
June 21, Friday
- Finalize list of reports to be run as of June 30.
- Reconcile revenue through May using NGA208W.
- Set up HR/CMS Earnings Codes for split-year.
Statewide Contracts Training
The Operational Services Division manages over 130 contracts for the most commonly purchased goods or services, offering a significant cost savings. Products available under Statewide Contracts include Information Technology hardware and services, office supplies, vehicles, and fuel cards. This training will include information about Statewide Contracts, demonstrations on how to use related resources, and an opportunity to practice the skills learned in class. This training will be offered on Friday June 14, from 9:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place 10th Floor Training Room, Boston.
Registration for all State Employee can be completed via PACE. All other interested eligible entities without a PACE user account can email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org for further instructions.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Fraud Prevention Training and Communication
Train employees on fraud awareness and prevention as a standard part of new employee orientation, and require existing staff to attend training annually. You may have your own department-specific training or you can send employees to our Fraud Awareness and Prevention course. Visit the Comptroller's Training/Meeting Schedule for upcoming dates.
Communicate with employees; oftentimes employees don’t reveal what they might know about fraud (either fraud occurring or the potential for fraud) because “nobody ever asked”. Employees who work closely with systems are often best positioned to recognize areas ripe for fraud; ask them “How would you do it?”
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Tuesday, June 18, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 10th Floor Video Conference Room
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Wednesday, June 19, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Vendor Management – Tuesday, June 25, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- CIW Report Building with MS Access – Wednesday, June 26, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Tuesday, July 9, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- HR/CMS Fundamentals – Wednesday, July 10, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Wednesday, July 10, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 10th Floor Video Conference Room
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Contracts Greater than Delegation
For paperwork submission requirements of contracts greater than delegation (i.e. CT, RPO and PC), please refer to page 11 in the Job Aid Quick Reference: Contracts – Goods and Services, Grants, Subsidies and Interdepartmental Business.