Latest update includes:
- FY2014-02: Approved FY2014 Fringe Benefit and Payroll Tax Rates
- FY2013-29: FY2013 Higher Education Audit Guidance
- FY2013-28: New Legislative Reporting Requirements for Federal Grants
- 2013/2014 Close/Open News
- Reactivating a Vendor
- MMARS Year-End Weekend Hours
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Segregation of Duties
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Board Award Field
FY2014-02: Approved FY2014 Fringe Benefit and Payroll Tax Rates
CTR Memo FY2014-02 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. This memo notifies departments of the approved fringe benefit and payroll tax rates for FY2014. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has approved the fringe rate of 26.26% and a payroll tax rate of 1.42%.
FY2013-29: FY2013 Higher Education Audit Guidance
CTR Memo Fy2013-29 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. This memo advises Institutions of Higher Education regarding accounting and reporting guidance for FY2013.
FY2013-28: New Legislative Reporting Requirements for Federal Grants
CTR Memo FY2013-28 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. This memo advises departments of quarterly information that must be provided to the Comptroller’s Office to comply with legislative mandates pertaining to federal grants reporting.
Close of FY2013 Encumbrances
The official last day for processing any FY2013 encumbrances in MMARS is Friday, June 28. All contract submissions must be received by noon July 1 to CTR's Accounts Payable Bureau (APB) Contracts Unit.
Any FY2013 encumbrance transaction after 6/30/2013 is a late encumbrance. The ANF Platform should no longer be used. For further guidance, see the late encumbrance section starting on page 42 of the Close/Open Instructions.
There are three types of net zero dollar encumbrances that are allowed from 7/1-8/31. Net zero adjustments are explained on page 43 of the Close/Open Instructions. All zero dollar adjustment requests should be emailed to Comptroller.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Departments should review the balances on all appropriation accounts prior to the end of the fiscal year. All negative balances in accounts (negative uncommitted and/uncommitted) must be resolved by June 30. If departments need assistance resolving negative balances, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US.
Close/Open Key Dates June 22 – 29
June 24, Monday
- Last day to process FY2013 Revenue transactions requiring CTR approval.
June 28 Friday
- Completed requests to pay prior year deficiencies out of FY2013 funds must be received in the Comptroller's Office by June 30.
June 29 Saturday
- Last day to process all FY2013 encumbrance transactions requiring CTR/ANF approval.
Reactivating a Vendor
Recently, CTR deactivated a large number of vendors in MMARS. If departments encounter a deactivated vendor while processing an encumbrance or payment, check the VCUST table to ensure no other changes are needed (such as address changes, EFT changes, etc.). If the vendor just needs to be reactivated, email the CTR Help Desk with the vendor code and they will work with the Vendor Unit to reactivate the vendor. If additional changes are needed, departments must process a VCM through normal procedures.
MMARS Year-End Weekend Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, June 22, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, June 24.
For fiscal year-end planning purposes, MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, June 29, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. and Sunday, June 30, from 9:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any weekend Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, July 1.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Segregation of Duties
The lack of segregation of duties is often a contributing factor to fraud. Verify that segregation of duties is in place and applied consistently across the agency and in all locations.
If resource constraints prevent adequate segregation of duties, consider cross-training, job rotation, or add additional review and sign-off. Think creatively; share responsibility with other areas or units within the department.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Vendor Management – Tuesday, June 25, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- CIW Report Building with MS Access – Wednesday, June 26, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Tuesday, July 9, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- HR/CMS Fundamentals – Wednesday, July 10, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Wednesday, July 10, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 10th Floor Video Conference Room
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week – Board Award Field
The completion of the Board Award field in the header/reference section of the CT, PC, and RPO transactions is required by joint Comptroller and OSD policy. This applies to all vendor-specific and open-order encumbrances, as well as to encumbrances under and over a department’s delegation amount.
Departments must enter the request for response (RFR) number in the Board Award field or, if applicable, one of the procurement exceptions as follows. (This field must not be left blank.)
|INP||for Incidental Purchase|
|LEG Exempt||for Legislative Exemption|
|Emergency||for Emergency Contract|
|Collective||for Collective Purchase or|
|Interim||for Interim Contract|