Latest update includes:
- FY2014-03: FY2014 Interim Budget Guidance
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 12
- Budget Re-Synchronization Complete
- 2013/2014 Close/Open News
- MMARS Year-End Weekend Hours
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Ethics Statement
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – CACT Table (Customer Account Options) Error
FY2014-03: FY2014 Interim Budget Guidance
CTR Memo FY2014-03 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. The FY2014 Interim Budget has been signed. This memo offers guidance on operating under an interim budget.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 12
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 12 (June), FY2013 will be run on Saturday, July 6. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 12 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
Budget Re-Synchronization Complete
The quarterly re-synchronization for departmental budgets (Subsidiary Expense, Department Expense, and Department Revenue) was completed the weekend of June 22. MMARS budget structures were in-synch as of Sunday, June 23.
Close of FY2013 Encumbrances
The official last day for processing any FY2013 encumbrances in MMARS is Sunday June 30, 2013. All contract submissions must be received by noon on Monday, July 1 at CTR's Accounts Payable Bureau (APB) Contracts Unit.
Any FY2013 encumbrance transaction after 6/30/2012 is a late encumbrance. The ANF Platform should no longer be used. For further guidance, see the late encumbrance section starting on page 42 of the Close/Open Instructions.
There are three types of net zero dollar adjustments that are allowed from 7/1-8/31 (see explanation on page 43 of the Close/Open). All zero dollar adjustment requests should be e-mailed to Comptroller.email@example.com.
Close/Open Key Dates June 29 – July 6
June 30, Sunday
- Last day to process all FY2013 encumbrance transactions requiring CTR/ANF approval.
- Irregular balances must be resolved in appropriation types 1CN, 1CS, 1RN, 1RS, 1IN, 1IS, 2CN, and 3TN.
- Last day to receive goods, services and other performances for FY2013.
- Last day to enter FY2013 payroll holds in MMARS.
- Last day to receive FY2013 cash.
July 1, Monday
- FY2013 Accounts Payable Payments begin.
- Enter final FY2013 PRRV, ER, and CR documents.
- Last day for posting payroll time for pay period ending June 29.
- Last day to enter all deposits for FY2013.
- Deposit slips must be time-stamped before noon July 1.
July 2, Tuesday
- Enter final FY2013 AR documents.
- Run last full FY2013 payroll.
July 5, Friday
- LCM Predictives available.
- All FY2013 payroll reject transactions (PRLDE_PRLIF_PRADJ) and payroll accounts with negative uncommitted and unexpended balances must be corrected in MMARS
- Final day to enter FY2013 REs.
- Final day to verify that all FY2013 RE and CR documents referencing REs are in final status and are ready for the RE roll on July 6.
July 6, Saturday
MMARS Year-End Weekend Hours
For fiscal year-end planning purposes, MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, June 29, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. and Sunday, June 30, from 9:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any weekend Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, July 1.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Ethics Statement
To combat Fraud, organizations should produce a clear statement of ethics. An ethics statement should include the following:
- Define the culture.
- Set expectations.
- Remind employees about their roles and responsibilities for maintaining an ethical work environment.
- Maintain awareness of reporting mechanisms available to employees.
- Reinforce the ramifications of improper or unacceptable behavior in order to deter others from similar actions.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- HR/CMS Fundamentals – Wednesday, July 10, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Wednesday, July 10, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Encumbrance Management – Thursday, July 11, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast Interdepartmental Chargebacks – Friday, July 12, 1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M. Online Training
- Payment Management – Tuesday, July 16, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- LCM Management – Wednesday, July 17, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, July 18, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - CACT Table (Customer Account Options) Error
When modifying a vendor/customer, which appears on the CACT table under a different department, the following error(s) may generate:
R_CUST_ACCT_OPT BUS = 2 Error Values in the organization fields are not authorized for the current user.
R_CUST_ACCT_OPT HQ = 1 Error Values in the organization fields are not authorized for the current user.
R_CUST_ACCT BUS = 2 Error Values in the organization fields are not authorized for the current user.
R_CUST_ACCT HQ = 1 Error Values in the organization fields are not authorized for the current user.
If this happens, make sure there are no other errors on the VCM and submit the paperwork (don’t forget the VCM doc id) to the vendor unit. They will override the error messages.