Latest update includes:
- New Design of Comptroller Intranet
- FBI Fraud Alert: Social Engineering - School Impersonation Scheme
- Find Shipping and Billing Locations in MMARS
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – How to Prevent Identity Theft
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week - Ready Payments - Holds
New Design of Comptroller Intranet
The Comptroller Intranet has been updated to reflect the current look and feel of Mass.gov for a cleaner and more consistent browsing experience.
While the most noticeable change is the look and feel, other notable changes include:
- Addition of a “Feature Story” module we will use to communicate important topics within State Government.
- Reorganization and reclassification of the “Online Services” and “Applications” lists.
- Addition of a Site Feedback form (top right).
The newly designed Comptroller Intranet is now live!
FBI Fraud Alert: Social Engineering - School Impersonation Scheme
Be aware of a fraud scheme involving social engineering, the act of manipulating people through misrepresentation into performing actions or divulging confidential information. While the report specifically mentions schools and universities, the scam could be perpetrated against any state agency. The scam usually involves someone posing as a merchant contacting an employee in an attempt to gain information about agency operations and/or financial information. If obtained, this information is then used to create a phony purchase order that is used to scam a legitimate business.
The FBI has posted a Public Service Announcement regarding a “School Impersonation” Scheme to Defraud Office Supply Retailers. Please read the announcement to learn how the scheme works, measures to help mitigate the threat, and how to report incidents to law enforcement.
Find Shipping and Billing Locations in MMARS
To assist organizational administrators setting up COMMBUYS, the shipping and billing locations used in MMARS can be found on the Procurement Location table. In MMARS, go to Page Search and type in the Page Code “PLOC” – the Procurement Location table. The table has a search link which allows the user to search by procurement location code, location name, location type, and department. If updates to MMARS are needed, changes and additions to the PLOC table can be made by filling out and submitting a Table Update Request form, which can be found here.
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available on Saturday, March 22, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, March 24.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - How to Prevent Identity Theft
The Federal Trade Commission has a number of resources to help you protect your personal information. Here are five easy ways you can keep tabs on your identity and personal information:
- Read credit card statements carefully & often.
- Know your payment due dates.
- Read your health insurance plan statements.
- Shred documents with personal information.
- Review your credit reports once a year.
To learn more about protecting your identity visit the Federal Trade Commission’s website
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email at Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
- Encumbrance Management – Monday, March 24, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Tuesday, March 25, 9:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Wednesday, March 26, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Appropriation Management – Tuesday, April 1, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, April 3, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Establishing a Federal Grant in MMARS – Tuesday, April 8, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- HR/CMS Fundamentals – Wednesday, April 9, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, April 11, 11:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., Online Training
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through 2014.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Ready Payments - Holds
Ready Payments can be put on hold by checking the “Hold Payment” box in the Invoice Details section of the Scheduled Invoice Generation (SIG) table. Once a Ready Payment is put on hold, no future payments will be generated from that line unless the payment is taken off hold.