Latest update includes:
- Slides from Department Security Officer Briefing Posted
- MMARS Chargeback
- ROTH Plan Available Friday, March 7
- Payroll User Group Meeting March 12
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 8
- MMARS Unavailable Saturday
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Better Business Bureau’s Top Scams of 2013
- Register Today for FREE for the 2014 MASSbuys EXPO on Thursday, May 1
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week - CD Forms Submitted to Treasury
Slides from Department Security Officer Briefing Posted
The slides from the Annual Department Security Officer Briefing have been posted to the Security Officers page of the CTR web portal.
The fourth FY2014 billing for the Office of the Comptroller's MMARS chargeback to support the operation of the Financial Accounting and Reporting System for the Commonwealth has been entered. Billings are sent bi-monthly. This billing is for actual usage based on transaction lines posted to the general ledger for the months of January and February. The document ID will be: CTRMMARS14CHARJANFEB.
Buyers are required to make payment on undisputed bills within 30 days from receipt of an ITI by completing an ITA (Internal Transaction Agreement).
ROTH Plan Available Friday, March 7
The new post-tax Deferred Compensation Plan or ROTH Plan will be available this Friday, March 7. Departments should continue to use the monthly deferral report to determine all elections.
ROTH plans are set up in the HR/CMS Savings Plan page. Go to Benefits > Enroll In Benefits > Savings Plans. The new Plan Type is “4Y”; new Deduction Code is “DCROTH” Be sure to use “After Tax Investment” section when establishing the Amount or Per Cent. New Resource Documents are available in the HR/CMS Knowledge Center under Payroll > Savings Plans.
Employees eligible for OBRA are not eligible for Deferred Compensation (pre or post tax).
Payroll User Group Meeting March 12
The next Payroll User Group Meeting will meet on Wednesday, March 12, from 9:30 A.M. to 12:30 P.M. in the 21st Floor Conference Room of One Ashburton Place, Boston. Agenda items will include the following:
- Metro Credit Union
- Benefit Strategies
- SmartPlan – Roth
- GIC Open Enrollment
- Payroll Reminders including:
- COMIT Tickets/Timeframes
- W2 and W2C Reprint – Self Service
- W4 Exempt Employees – new process
- Payroll Close/Open Timeline
- Payroll Authorization Form
This meeting will be webcast for those who cannot attend in person. Register for either the meeting or the webcast via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 8
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 8 (February), FY2014, will be run this Saturday, March 8. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 8 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
MMARS Unavailable Saturday
MMARS and LCM will be unavailable on Saturday, March 8 due to scheduled system processing.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Better Business Bureau’s Top Scams of 2013
The Council of Better Business Bureaus, the umbrella organization for the 113 local BBBs across the U.S. and Canada, culls its annual “Top Ten Scams” list from a variety of sources, including reports from consumers, some of whom have been victims of scams; from federal agencies; and from other reliable information sources.
“These are not necessarily the scams with the biggest losses, or those with the most victims, as many people don’t report scams or even know they’ve been victimized,” said Katherine Hutt, CBBB spokesperson. “These are the scams that seemed to be the most widespread, aimed at the most vulnerable, growing in popularity, or just plain audacious. Scams are ever-changing, but we want to help people recognize them and be prepared the next time they get a suspicious call, email, text, or solicitation.”
See the full list.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email at Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Register Today for FREE for the 2014 MASSbuys EXPO on Thursday, May 1
Register for the Commonwealth’s largest Business to Government (B2G) event, where you learn about products and services from Statewide and Departmental Contract vendors.
If you are a public purchaser or procurement official for your school or school district, don’t miss this once-a-year chance to learn how you can save time and money by purchasing through Statewide Contracts.
- Meet more than 350 vendors, who will show you the newest goods and services you can purchase through Statewide and Departmental Contracts.
- At our workshops, learn the latest in strategic sourcing best practices, professional development, and resources to increase cost savings.
- Experience the “COMMBUYS: World of the Future” interactive exhibit. Our new eProcurement system COMMBUYS will have easier ordering through eCatalogs and improved search, filtering, and pricing.
- Public purchasers in eastern MA: concerned about traveling to Worcester? Take a shuttle bus or the commuter rail from Boston or park for free in Worcester, and we’ll shuttle you to the DCU Center.
- Using our Government Resource Center, get answers to your purchasing questions: financial, procurement, construction, and more while you’re looking at products and services available on Statewide Contracts.
This event will be held on Thursday, May 1 at the DCU Center, Worcester.
- Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, March 12, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 21st Floor Conference Room
- Webcast Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, March 12, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., Online Meeting
- Webcast Interdepartmental Chargebacks – Friday, March 14, 11:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., Online Training
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Wednesday, March 19, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Friday, March 21, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Conference Room B
- Encumbrance Management – Monday, March 24, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Tuesday, March 25, 9:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Wednesday, March 26, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through 2014.
MMARS Hint of the Week - CD Forms Submitted to Treasury
When sending CD forms to the State Treasurer, be sure to manually draw federal funds to record deposits. The CD form must contain the following or it will reject:
- Sub Fund (derived from the BQ82 level 3 budget screens)
- Revenue Source
- Fiscal Year
- Budget Year
If this is a federal grant draw, the CD must also contain the program code.