Latest update includes:
- 2014/2015 Close/Open News
- MMARS 3.9 Upgrade News
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 10
- Internal Control Questionnaire due May 12
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Findings from the 2013 Norton Report
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week - Insufficient Funds Error on a Payment Request
2014/2015 CLOSE/OPEN NEWS
Instructions and Department Key Dates Posted
The 2014/2015 Close/Open Instructions and Department Key Dates have been posted to the Close/Open page of the CTR Web Portal.
Annual Close/Open Meeting Dates
The Comptroller of the Commonwealth Annual Close/Open meetings start next week.
- Tuesday, May 6 from 9:30 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. at the Federal Reserve Bank in Boston.
- Friday, May 16 from 9:30 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. at the UMASS Medical School, 55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA 01655.
Park at the South Road Parking Garage, enter through the Medical School Lobby. Take the “Basic Wing Elevator” on your left to the 6th Floor and look for Amphitheater #3. There is a $9 flat fee for parking.
This session will be webcast for those who cannot attend in person.
Please register for the in-person meetings or webcast on the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule.
Close/Open Key Dates May 3 – 10
- May 1, Thursday: Roll Budget Structure 82 (Central Rev)
- May 5, Monday: Roll Budget Structure 81 (Central Expense/Sub)
- May 6, Tuesday: FY2014 Close/FY2015 Open Meeting Federal Reserve Bank, Boston
- May 7, Wednesday: Roll Budget Structure 89 (Central Expense)
- May 8, Thursday: Roll Budget Structure 85 (Dept. Rev)
- May 9, Friday: Per ANF's memo, final day for encumbering FY2014 budgeted funds = to or >$25,000 without prior approval of ANF.
Final day for entering payroll holds for FY2014 budgeted funds >$25,000 without prior approval
- May 10, Saturday: Fringe, Indirect & Payroll Tax Period 10
Close/Open for Beginners Training Session
If the Close/Open procedures are new to you; please register for one of the Close/Open for Beginners trainings:
- Wednesday, May 21, 9 A.M. – 12 P.M. This session will also be webcast
- Thursday, June 4, 9 A.M. – 12 P.M.
- Thursday, June 12, 1 P.M. – 4 P.M.
All Close / Open for Beginner training sessions will be held in the Training Room on the 9th Floor of One Ashburton Place, Boston. Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training/Meeting Schedule.
If you have any questions please contact the Comptroller Help Desk 617-973-2468 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
MMARS 3.9 UPGRADE NEWS
The MMARS 3.9 Upgrade is scheduled for Memorial Day Weekend, May 24 through May 26, with the 3.9 system coming up live on Tuesday, May 27. View this weeks “MMARS Monday” news bulletin. MMARS Monday is sent each Monday to CFOs and MMARS Liaisons, hosted on our Intranet, and referenced in the eUpdate.
Workflow Transaction Submission in Preparation for the Upgrade
Most transactions can be submitted until the system is brought down for the upgrade at 2:00 PM on Friday, May 23. In preparation for upgrade the MMARS transactions listed in the table below, which workflow to the Office of the Comptroller, must be submitted by the close of business Wednesday, May 21 to be reviewed and either processed to Final or Rejected with comments before the upgrade weekend. Departments cannot create or edit transactions listed in the table below from Thursday, May 22 through Monday, May 26. Any rejected transaction can be accessed and edited in MMARS 3.9 on Tuesday, May 27.
Transactions that must be submitted, along with the appropriate paperwork, by the close of business May 21:
Departments will not be able to submit interfaces for VCC, VCM, CT, PC, and WO transactions after 12:00 PM on Thursday, May 22.
Departments using Departmental Workflow must clear their worklists of pending transactions prior to the 2:00 PM deadline on Friday, May 23. CTR will reject any pending transaction in a Departmental worklist after 2:00 PM on Friday, May 23. Rejected transactions can be accessed and edited in MMARS 3.9 on Tuesday, May 27.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 10
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 10 (April), FY2014, will be run on Saturday, May 10. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 10 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
Internal Control Questionnaire due May 12
Departments must complete the FY2013 Internal Control Questionnaire (ICQ) no later than Monday, May 12. The ICQ application can be accessed on PartnerNet. Contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 if you need assistance with access.
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, May 3, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, May 5.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Findings from the 2013 Norton Report
The 2013 Norton Report (the makers of Norton Anti-Virus software) looked at cybercrime in 24 countries. Key findings from the report:
- Tablet and smartphone users don’t secure their devices with passwords or back up their data.
- Globally the price tag of consumer cybercrime is $113billion annually.
- In the US price tag of consumer cybercrime is $37billion annually.
- Everyday 1 million people become cybercrime victims.
- To learn more about consumer cybercrime or view the full report click here.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email at Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Close/Open Meeting – Tuesday, May 6, 9:30 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., Federal Reserve Bank, 500 Atlantic Ave, Boston
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, May 8, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Tuesday, May 13, 9:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Encumbrance Management – Thursday, May 14, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Close/Open Meeting – Friday, May 16, 9:30 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., UMass Medical School, Amphitheater 3, 55 Lake Ave, North Worcester
- Webcast Close/Open Meeting – Friday, May 16, 9:30 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., Online Meeting
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through 2014.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Insufficient Funds Error on a Payment Request
When processing a payment request (PRC, GAX, INP) in MMARS, if there are insufficient funds available on the accounting line (and commodity line if applicable), the payment document will generate an error. It will switch reference types to final on lines with underfunded amounts (this is found on the commodity/accounting lines under reference). If additional funds are then added to the encumbrance, the reference types should be manually switched from final to partial to avoid closing the encumbrance.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.