Latest update includes:
- Revenue Handbook Posted
- 2013/2014 Close/Open News
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Take Advantage of Buy it NOW! Offers While they Last
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - What to Do If You Suspect Fraud, Waste or Abuse
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Copy Forward Button and Templates
Revenue Handbook Posted
The new Revenue Handbook has been posted to the Non-Tax Revenue business page of the CTR Web Portal. In accordance with our mission to increase the efficiency of back office operations across state government, and as a complement to the Expenditure Classification Handbook, the Office of the Comptroller is pleased to present the first iteration of the . This Handbook serves to provide guidance to departments for collecting revenue specifically authorized by the Legislature, and for accurate reporting of revenue streams in MMARS. The Revenue Handbook is a living document; we anticipate releasing regular updates to account for shifting agency needs, changes in legislation and your feedback.
ANF Deadline for Fiscal Year 2013 Encumbrance Review (>$25,000), Extended to Friday, May 17
Due to system availability issues experienced on May 9 and 10, ANF has extended the encumbrance deadline originally planned for Friday, May 10 as detailed in the original ANF Memo.
With the extension, Executive Branch agencies must now finalize encumbering activities for budgetary accounts that total $25,000 or more by Friday, May 17.
Beginning Saturday, May 18, Executive Departments must request ANF approval for encumbering activity in budgetary accounts totaling $25,000 or more. CT, RPO, GAE, and PC transactions will go to workflow if the actual amount in the Header section of the encumbrance is greater than or equal to 25K. The 25K threshold rule will apply regardless of whether the Department is increasing the encumbrance transaction by $10 or $25,000. Please refer to the chart on page 40 of the Close/Open Instructions for guidance.
All FY2013 multi-year encumbrances must be entered and/or modified in MMARS by May 22 to be included in the contract roll on the weekend of May 25.
Encumbrance Suspension in Preparation for the Contract Roll
As outlined in the Close/Open instructions, the Contract Roll is scheduled to begin Saturday, May 25. Multi-year encumbrances will systemically have their fiscal year 2014 accounting lines activated in MMARS. The contract roll will impact: RQS, RPO, CT and PC transactions.
Due to CTR preparation time needed for the contract roll, encumbrance processing suspension will be in effect from Thursday, May 23 – Sunday, May 26. Departments will not be allowed to enter, edit, validate, or submit RQS, RPO, PC, CT transactions until Monday, May 27.
CT and RPO pending transactions received by the CTR Accounts Payable Bureau, Contracts Unit by Wednesday, May 22 will be processed by Friday, May 24 if the paperwork has been forwarded to CTR and has been completed properly. OSD will do the same with PCs. Pending documents will be rejected from CTR and OSD work lists if the paperwork is not received on time or if what has been received cannot be processed.
Departments should review the balances on all appropriation accounts prior to the end of the fiscal year. All negative balances in accounts (negative uncommitted and/unexpended) must be resolved by June 30. If departments need assistance resolving negative balances, contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US.
Close/Open Key Dates May 18-25
May 21, Tuesday
- Departments should complete any 2013 Departmental/Cost Accounting budget setup and entry.
May 22, Wednesday
- Last day for FY2013 multi-year encumbrances that must be entered/modified in MMARS to be included in the contract roll.
May 23, Thursday
- House 1 for FY2014 load. Contract roll preparation: suspension of department ability to enter, edit, validate, or submit RQS, RPO, PC and CT documents.
May 24, Friday
- Contract roll preparation: suspension of department ability to enter, edit, validate or submit RQS, RPO, PC and CT documents.
- GAAP Instructions Issued
May 25, Saturday and May 26, Sunday
- MMARS Unavailable
Close/Open for Beginners Training Session
If the Close/Open procedures are new to you, please register for one of the Close/Open for Beginners trainings:
All Close / Open for Beginner training sessions will be held in the Training Room on the 9th Floor of One Ashburton Place, Boston. Register for these sessions, including the webcasts, via the Comptroller's Training/Meeting Schedule.
If you have any questions, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk 617-973-2468 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, May 18, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, May 20.
Take Advantage of Buy it NOW! Offers While they Last
The Operational Services Division (OSD) has reached a total of 42 exhibitors who have agreed to offer special pricing on one or more goods or services on their Statewide Contracts with our Buy it NOW! campaign. Although MASSbuys has passed, our Buy it NOW! offers are still good for a limited time. A complete listing of offers and expiration dates may be found on the MASSbuys EXPO's Buy it NOW! page.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - What to Do If You Suspect Fraud, Waste or AbusIf you have evidence of Fraud, Waste or Abuse activity, report such activity to management or an oversight agency or call a whistleblower hotline. If you have a whistleblower complaint involving public funds, the following contacts are available:
If you have a whistleblower complaint involving public funds, the following contacts are available:
- Inspector General (800) 322-1323
- To report suspected fraud, waste or abuse in government.
- Attorney General - http://www.mass.gov/ago/contact-us.html
- Division of Unemployment Assistance (800) 354-9927
- To report unreported wages or persons collecting benefits while working.
- Office of the State Auditor (617) 727-6200
- For state agencies to report variances, shortages or thefts of funds or property.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, May 17, 10:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M. online training
- Close/Open for Beginners – Friday, May 17, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast Close/Open for Beginners – Friday, May 17, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., Online Training
- CIW Report Building with MS Excel – Tuesday, May 21, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Close/Open for Beginners – Wednesday, May 22, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- LCM Management – Thursday, May 23, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to LCM Warehouse – Wednesday, May 29, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Tuesday, June 4, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, June 5, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 21st Floor Conference Room
- Webcast Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, June 5, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M. Online Training
- Close/Open for Beginners – Wednesday, June 5, 1:30 P.M. – 4:30 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast Close/Open for Beginners – Wednesday, June 5, 1:30 P.M. – 4:30 P.M. Online Training
- Encumbrance Management – Thursday, June 6, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Thursday, June 6, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Copy/Forward Button and Templates
If you are attempting to Copy/Forward and there is no Copy/Forward button on the bottom of the screen, make sure you are not in a template. The Copy/Forward functionality is NOT available on templates. To determine whether you are in a template, look at the Doc ID at the top of the document. If the document has been tagged as a template, the word Template appears after the Doc ID.