Visit Our Website – http://www.mass.gov/osc
Follow us on Twitter @MA_Comptroller
Latest update includes:
- FY2013-22: Prompt Payment Discount Statistics Summary for FY2013 – Third Quarter FY2013
- Internal Control Questionnaire due May 8, 2013
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 10
- 2013/2014 Close/Open News
- MMARS Unavailable Saturday
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Red Flags Product Substitution
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Correcting Predictive Payroll Data
FY2013-22: Prompt Payment Discount Statistics Summary for FY2013 – Third Quarter FY2013
CTR Memo FY2013-22 has been posted to the CTR Web Portal. This memo updates CFOs and MMARS Liaisons on departments’ utilization of the Commonwealth’s Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) program during the first 9 months of FY2013. For the third quarter of FY2013, an additional $1,887,934 of PPD was taken by over 110 departments. Prompt payment discounts have and will continue to help maximize your department’s line item spending power.
Internal Control Questionnaire due May 8, 2013
Departments must complete the FY2013 Internal Control Questionnaire (ICQ) no later than Wednesday, May 8. The ICQ application can be accessed on PartnerNet. Contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 if you need assistance with access.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 10
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 10 (April), FY2013 will be run this Saturday, May 4. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 10 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
2013/2014 Close/Open News
Close/Open Key Dates May 4 – 11
May 4, Saturday
- Fringe, Indirect & Payroll Tax Period 10
May 6, Monday
- Roll Budget Structure 81 (Central Expense/SUB)
May 8, Wednesday
- Reminder to departments: By 5/24, FY2013 multi-year encumbrances must be entered/modified in MMARS to be included in the roll.
- Roll Budget Structures 89 (Central Expense)
- ICQ completion due date for departments
May 9, Thursday
- Roll Budget Structure 85 (Departmental Revenue)
May 10, Friday
- Per ANF’s memo, final day for encumbering FY2013 budgeted funds equal to or greater than $25,000 without prior approval of ANF.
Close/Open for Beginners Training Session
If the Close/Open procedures are new to you, please register for one of the Close/Open for Beginners trainings:
- Friday, May 17 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M.
- Wednesday, May 22 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M.
- Wednesday, June 5 1:30 P.M. – 4:30 P.M.
All Close / Open for Beginner training sessions will be held in the Training Room on the 9th Floor of One Ashburton Place, Boston. Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training/Meeting Schedule.
If you have any questions, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk 617-973-2468 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
MMARS Unavailable Saturday
Due to scheduled system processing, MMARS and LCM will be unavailable on Saturday, May 4.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact Red Flags for Product Substitution
In a fraud scheme involving product substitution, a contractor misrepresents the product used in order to reduce costs for materials. Red Flags for Product Substitution include but are not limited to:
- Mismarking or mislabeling of products and materials.
- A contractor that restricts or avoids inspection of goods upon delivery.
- A contractor refuses to provide supporting documentation regarding production or manufacturing.
- Photocopies of necessary certification, delivery and production records exist where originals are expected.
- Irregularities in signatures dates, or quantities on delivery documents.
A high rate of rejections, returns or failures.
Additional Red Flags for Product Substitution can be found in the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Encumbrance Management – Tuesday, May 7, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Wednesday, May 8, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Establishing a Federal Grant in MMARS – Tuesday, May 14, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Wednesday, May 15, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- HR/CMS Fundamentals – Thursday, May 16, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, May 17, 10:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M. online training
- Close/Open for Beginners – Friday, May 17, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- CIW Report Building with MS Excel – Tuesday, May 21, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Tuesday, May 21, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Conference Room B
- Close/Open for Beginners – Wednesday, May 22, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- LCM Management – Thursday, May 23, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Correcting Predictive Payroll Data
If, upon review of the Predictive Payroll reports, it is found that an employee’s charges are posting to the wrong account or contain errors such as a missing program, do not create a LARQ (Labor Cost Redistribution Request) to modify how the charges post. Instead, modify the employee’s Appointment Accounting (DEPTE) for a permanent change or create an EPPA (Employee Pay Period Accounting) for an exception that applies only to this pay period.
LARQs can adjust payroll charges only after the payroll has run on the Tuesday night after the end of the pay period.