Latest update includes:
- 2013/2014 Close/Open News
- MMARS Weekend and Holiday Schedule
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - A Checklist for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Accounts Receivable Detail Transaction Activity
Encumbrance Suspension in Preparation for the Contract Roll
As outlined in the Close/Open instructions for FY2013/2014, the Contract Roll is scheduled to begin Saturday, May 25. Multi-year encumbrances will systemically have their fiscal year 2014 accounting lines activated in MMARS. The contract roll will impact RQS, RPO, CT and PC transactions.
Due to CTR preparation time needed for the contract roll, encumbrance processing suspension will be in effect Thursday, May 23 through Sunday, May 26. Departments will not be able to enter, edit, validate or submit RQS, RPO, PC, or CT transactions until Monday, May 27.
CT and RPO pending transactions received by the CTR Accounts Payable Bureau, Contracts Unit by Wednesday, May 22 will be processed by Friday, May 24 if the paperwork has been forwarded to CTR and has been completed properly. OSD will do the same with PCs. Pending transactions will be rejected from CTR and OSD work lists if the paperwork is not received in time or if what has been received cannot be processed.
Departmental/Cost Accounting Budget Setup and Entry
Departments must complete any 2014 Departmental/Cost Accounting budget setup and entry by Thursday, May 23.
Fiscal Year 2013 Encumbrances
After Saturday May 18, Executive Departments must request ANF approval to encumber in budgetary accounts where the encumbrance totals $25,000 or more. CT, RPO, GAE and PC transactions will go to workflow if the actual amount in the Header section of the encumbrance is greater than or equal to 25K. The 25K threshold rule will apply regardless of whether the Department is increasing the encumbrance transaction by $10 or $25,000. Please refer to the chart on page 40 of the Close/Open Instructions for guidance.
MMARS Processing 6/1-8/31 When Two Fiscal Years and Accounting Periods Are Open
From 6/1-8/31, two fiscal years and accounting periods are open, therefore, departments are required to enter the FY and accounting period on all accounting line(s) when modifying or entering a new transaction in MMARS. If left blank when submitted, the transaction will be directed to the CTR contracts work list and will be rejected in MMARS. The reason for the rejection will be addressed in the document comments field. An email will be sent to the MMARS Liaison, instructing the department to enter the appropriate fiscal year and accounting period. See the charts below for guidance.
If increasing or decreasing BFY2013 line(s), the accounting line set up should be:
|Reserved Funding Flag|
|NO||2013||2013||July or August||13|
If increasing or decreasing BFY2014 line(s), the accounting line set up should be:
|Reserved Funding Flag|
|NO||2014||2014||June or July||1|
NOTE: The event type is PR05 for the CT, PC and RPO encumbrances. For RQS, the event type is PR02. For an Open order CT, the event type is PR51.
Close/Open Key Dates May 25 – June 1
May 25, Saturday, and May 26, Sunday
- MMARS Unavailable
May 26, Tuesday
- FY2014 MMARS Opens for pre-encumbering and encumbering.
- Departmental V & V of contract roll and cleanup of rejects.
May 30, Thursday
- FY2014 Chart of Account codes, Budgets, House 1 and Departmental Budgets to be validated by departments.
- Submit 2014 ISAs to CTR Contracts Unit.
- All FY2013 payments must reference encumbrances.
- Departments to review closing plans for DynaCash Accounts.
- LCM Rules Roll (POAA document).
- All current POAA rules are given an end date of 6/30/2013. Departments begin to validate and submit rolled FY2014 POAA rules.
- Departments request new FY2014 POAA rules and PALT rules.
- Reconcile Revenue through April using the NGA208W.
May 31, Friday
- FY2013 Payroll Refund Receipt Vouchers (PRRV) paperwork due to Retirement Board for any payroll period ending through April.
Close/Open for Beginners Training Session
If the Close/Open procedures are new to you, please register for the following training: Close/Open for Beginners, Wednesday, June 5, 1:30 P.M. – 4:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place, Boston, 9th Floor Training Room (also available via webcast)
Register for this session or webcast via the Comptroller's Training/Meeting Schedule.
If you have any questions, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk 617-973-2468 or via email email@example.com.
MMARS Unavailable Saturday and Sunday
Due to scheduled system processing, MMARS will be unavailable Saturday and Sunday, May 25 and 26.
MMARS Holiday Hours
MMARS and LCM are scheduled to be available on Memorial Day, Monday May 27, from 7:00 A.M. to 7 P.M. Due the weekend system processing there may be a delay, if you plan on coming into the office please check the Daily MMARS News page for status updates.
A normal LCM cycle, but no financial cycle will be run. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any holiday Help Desk calls will be returned on Tuesday, May 28.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - A Checklist for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse
The Comptroller has convened a Control and Compliance Best Practices Working Group consisting of CFOs, Internal Control Officers in a number of departments managing federal funds, and representatives from the Comptroller, State Auditor, Attorney General, Inspector General and Governor’s offices. The purpose of this group is to identify tools that may be helpful to departments in the areas of compliance and oversight of public funds by leveraging existing best practices.
One of these tools is the Checklist for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse which starts on page 17 of the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse.
While there is no 100% measure to prevent all forms of fraud, waste and abuse, departments can use this checklist to take many measures to prevent, detect, mitigate and learn from instances of their occurrences.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
- Intro to LCM Warehouse – Wednesday, May 29, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Tuesday, June 4, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, June 5, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 21st Floor Conference Room
- Webcast Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, June 5, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M. Online Training
- Close/Open for Beginners – Wednesday, June 5, 1:30 P.M. – 4:30 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast Close/Open for Beginners – Wednesday, June 5, 1:30 P.M. – 4:30 P.M. Online Training
- Encumbrance Management – Thursday, June 6, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Thursday, June 6, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Tuesday, June 11, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Risk Management – Tuesday, June 11, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Intro to HR/CMS Payroll Warehouse – Thursday, June 13, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Accounts Receivable Detail Transaction Activity
Report NAR401W provides information about transaction-level Accounts Receivable activity as of a given date for a given Period within a Fiscal Year. This report runs at the close of the Accounting Period and has a retention period of 48 months.