Latest update includes:
- MMARS 3.9 Upgrade News
- 2014/2015 Close/Open News
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 11
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – KPMG Global Profiles of the Fraudster
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week - Accounts Receivable Detail Transaction Activity
The MMARS 3.9 News Page on the Comptroller Intranet hosts department communications, along with the archive of MMARS Monday newsletters, slides from weekly webcasts and the 3.9 Navigation Quick Reference Document.
Help and Support
The CTR Help Desk can be reached via phone at 617-973-2468 or via email at Comptroller.Info@state.ma.us
If you are unable to reach an analyst due to call volume, please leave a voicemail or send an email. We have additional staff dedicated to retrieving voicemail and email messages constantly throughout the day.
Daily Webcast / Call In
Join us on May 30 at 12:00 P.M. as we demonstrate transaction processing and answer your questions on MMARS 3.9.
To join, click the link below for the online meeting:
For audio, dial: 1-877-820-7831. When prompted, enter the participant passcode 862516.
There is a webcast limit of 125 attendees. If you plan on having multiple attendees, please do so from a conference room.
MMARS 3.9 Drop-in Session
“Drop in” Friday, 5/30 from 10-11:30 A.M to ask questions or see a demonstration of MMARS 3.9. This session does not require registration and will be conducted at 1 Ashburton Place, 9th Floor CTR Training Room.
Reminder, MMARS 3.9 is only certified to work with Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 and 9 and Mozilla Firefox 10 ESR for Windows.
MMARS 3.9 Navigation Quick Reference
A MMARS 3.9 Navigation – Quick Reference document is available on our MMARS 3.9 Upgrade News Page. We recommend sharing this document with staff and reviewing some of the new navigation features and options that enhance the user experience.
All FY2014 multi-year encumbrances to be included in the contract roll on the weekend of June 7 must be entered and/or modified in MMARS by Wednesday, June 4.
MMARS Processing 6/1-8/31 When Two Fiscal Years and Accounting Periods Are Open
From 6/1-8/31, two fiscal years and accounting periods are open, therefore, departments are required to enter the FY and accounting period on all accounting line(s) when modifying or entering a new transaction in MMARS. If left blank when submitted, the transaction will be directed to the CTR contracts work list and will be rejected in MMARS. The reason for the rejection will be addressed in the document comments field. An email will be sent to the MMARS Liaison, instructing the department to enter the appropriate fiscal year and accounting period. See the charts below for guidance.
If increasing or decreasing BFY2014 line(s), the accounting line set up should be:
|Reserved Funding Flag|
|NO||2014||2014||July or August||13|
If increasing or decreasing BFY2015 line(s), the accounting line set up should be:
|Reserved Funding Flag|
|NO||2015||2015||June or July||1|
NOTE: The event type is PR05 for the CT, PC and RPO encumbrances. For RQS, the event type is PR02. For an Open order CT, the event type is PR51.
Encumbrance Suspension in Preparation for the Contract Roll
As outlined in the Close/Open instructions for FY2014/2015, the Contract Roll is scheduled to begin Saturday, June 7th. Multi-year encumbrances will systemically have their fiscal year 2015 accounting lines activated in MMARS. The contract roll will impact: RQS, RPO, CT and PC transactions.
Due to CTR preparation time needed for the contract roll, encumbrance processing suspension will be in effect Thursday, June 5th – Monday, June 9th. Departments will not be able to enter, edit, validate, or submit RQS, RPO, PC, CT transactions until Tuesday, June 10th.
CT and RPO pending transactions received by the CTR Accounts Payable Bureau, Contracts Unit by Wednesday, June 4th will be processed by Friday, June 6th if the paperwork has been forwarded to CTR and has been completed properly. OSD will do the same with PCs. Pending documents will be rejected from CTR and OSD work lists if the paperwork is not received on time or if what has been received cannot be processed.
Close/Open Key Dates May 31 – June 7
June 4, Wednesday
- Last day to enter/modify in MMARS FY2014 multi-year encumbrances be included in the contract roll.
- Departments must submit all FY2015 Contracts and ISAs to CTR Contracts Unit.
June 5, Thursday
- Contract roll preparation suspension of department ability to enter, edit, validate or submit RQS, RPO, PC and CT documents
June 6, Friday
- Departments must submit all BGCN/BGCS for transfers to the General Accounting Bureau.
- Last day to submit FY2014 write-off requests.
- Departments must clean up RE and CR documents not in FINAL status and determine which customers will need to be sent a refund for overpayments.
- Final day for departments to submit invoices for 2014 debt collection payments.
June 7, Saturday
- Contract roll
Close/Open for Beginners Training Session
If the Close/Open procedures are new to you; please register for one of the Close/Open for Beginners trainings:
- Thursday, June 4, 9 A.M. – 12 P.M.
- Thursday, June 12, 1 P.M. – 4 P.M.
All Close / Open for Beginner training sessions will be held in the Training Room on the 9th Floor of One Ashburton Place, Boston. Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training/Meeting Schedule.
If you have any questions please contact the Comptroller Help Desk 617-973-2468 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 11
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 11 (May), FY2014, will be run on Saturday, June 7. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 11 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, May 31, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, June 2.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - KPMG Global Profiles of the Fraudster
Between August of 2011 and February of 2013 KPMG analyzed 596 fraudsters involved in acts committed in 78 countries. The survey focused on “white collar” crime. The report found the typical fraudster:
- 36-45 years of age
- Acting against his/her own organization (employer)
- Mostly employed in an executive, finance, operations or sales/marketing function
- Holds a senior management position
- Employed in the organization in excess of 6 years
- In committing the fraud, frequently acted in concert with others.
To read the full report, click here.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email at Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Risk Management - Tuesday, June 3, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Close/Open for Beginners – Wednesday, June 4, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- CIW Report Building with MS Excel – Thursday, June 5, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- CIW User Group Meeting – Thursday, June 5, 9:30 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., Hampden County Sheriff Department 627 Randall Rd., Ludlow MA, Administration Building Staff Entrance, Floor 2
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, June 6, 1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M., Online Training
- Establishing a Federal Grant in MMARS – Tuesday, June 10, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, June 11, 9:30 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 21st Floor Conference Room
- Webcast Payroll User Group Meeting – Wednesday, June 11, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, Online Meeting
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Thursday, June 12, 9:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Close/Open for Beginners – Thursday, June 12, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through 2014.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Accounts Receivable Detail Transaction Activity
Report NAR401W provides information about transaction-level Accounts Receivable activity as of a given date for a given Period within a Fiscal Year. This report runs at the close of the Accounting Period and has a retention period of 48 months.