Visit Our Website – http://www.mass.gov/osc
Follow us on Twitter @MA_Comptroller
Latest update includes:
- Periodic Allotment
- MMARS Chargeback
- Phishing Alert
- 2013/2014 Close/Open News
- Purge of Rejected Documents over 75 Days Old
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Red Flags for Time Overcharging
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Reconciling Your Grant Budget Structure
On or about Monday, May 13, the Executive Office for Administration and Finance will process the tenth periodic allotment of FY2013 to increase the expenditure ceiling in budgetary accounts to 100% (a one-month allotment).
Agencies are asked to make ANF budget analysts aware of any requested ad hoc allotments as soon as possible to ensure that it can be reviewed by ANF staff in a timely fashion.
The fourth FY2013 billing for the Office of the Comptroller's MMARS Chargeback to support the operation of the Financial Accounting and Reporting System for the Commonwealth has been entered. Billings are sent bi-monthly. This billing is for actual usage based on transaction lines posted to the general ledger for the months of March and April. The document ID is: CTRMMARS13CHARMARAPR.
Please, always be watchful for suspicious emails. There are two cases to report just this week: one spam type email purporting to contain information from the GIC, and the other an attempt to gain access to PayInfo using Employee IDs.
Phishing is the act of sending an email to a user falsely claiming to be an established legitimate enterprise, or person, in an attempt to scam the user into surrendering private information that will be used for identity theft.
May 10 ANF Deadline for Fiscal Year 2013 Encumbrances
Executive departments must conclude FY2013 encumbering activity against budgeted fund accounts by Friday, May 10. Please review details in the ANF Memo.
All FY2013 multi-year encumbrances must be entered and/or modified in MMARS by May 22 to be included in the contract roll on the weekend of May 25.
Fiscal Year 2013 Encumbrances
Beginning Saturday May 11, Executive Departments must request ANF approval for encumbering activity in budgetary accounts totaling $25,000 or more. CT, RPO, GAE, and PC transactions will go to workflow if the actual amount in the Header section of the encumbrance is greater than or equal to 25K. The 25K threshold rule will apply regardless of whether the Department is increasing the encumbrance transaction by $10 or $25,000. Please refer to the chart on page 40 of the Close/Open Instructions for guidance.
Close/Open Key Dates May 11 – 18
May 12, Sunday
- Roll Budget Structures 83 and 84 - Departmental Expenses and Departmental Expense/Sub Levels 1 and 2.
May 13, Monday
- Final day for entering payroll holds for FY2013 budgeted funds >$25,000 without prior approval.
May 15, Wednesday
- Open FY2014 for departmental COA and departmental budget structure review.
Close/Open for Beginners Training Session
If the Close/Open procedures are new to you, please register for one of the Close/Open for Beginners trainings:
- Friday, May 17 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. (also available via webcast)
- Wednesday, May 22 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M.
- Wednesday, June 5 1:30 P.M. – 4:30 P.M. (also available via webcast)
All Close / Open for Beginner training sessions will be held in the Training Room on the 9th Floor of One Ashburton Place, Boston. Register for these sessions, including the webcasts, via the Comptroller's Training/Meeting Schedule.
If you have any questions, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk 617-973-2468 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Purge of Rejected Documents over 75 Days Old
Rejected documents in the system accumulate in the document catalog and are removed in a regularly scheduled monthly purge of documents over 75 days old. The next purge will occur on May 15 and will delete rejected documents entered before March 1. If you have documents entered before March 1 that you would like to save, please place them on "hold".
To place a document on "hold":
- Locate the document in the Document Catalog.
- Check the checkbox to the left of the document (in the Document Catalog).
- Click "Action Menu", select "Scheduling Actions", select "Mark Document" and choose "Hold".
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, May 11, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, May 13.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Red Flags for Time Overcharging
In a time overcharging scheme, a consultant or contractor misrepresents the distribution of employee labor on jobs in order to charge for more work hours or a higher overhead rate to increase profit.
Red Flags for Time Overcharging include, but are not limited to:
- Unauthorized alterations to timecards and other source records.
- Hours and dollars consistently at or near budgeted amounts.
- Timecards are filled out by supervisors, not by employees.
- Photocopies of timecards submitted where originals are expected.
- Inconsistencies between consultants’ labor records and employee timecards.
Additional Red Flags for Time Overcharging can be found in the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Establishing a Federal Grant in MMARS – Tuesday, May 14, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Wednesday, May 15, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- HR/CMS Fundamentals – Thursday, May 16, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, May 17, 10:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M. online training
- Close/Open for Beginners – Friday, May 17, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast Close/Open for Beginners – Friday, May 17, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., Online Training
- CIW Report Building with MS Excel – Tuesday, May 21, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Close/Open for Beginners – Wednesday, May 22, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast Close/Open for Beginners – Wednesday, May 22, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. Online Training
- LCM Management – Thursday, May 23, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to LCM Warehouse – Wednesday, May 29, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for the next two months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Reconciling Your Grant Budget Structure
Departments should reconcile their grant budget structure to their central grant account on a regular basis to insure that they are in balance. Remember, you may use the drill-down feature to review expenditures if you suspect there is a coding error. Or, you should use the data warehouse to verify that expenditures coded with the grant program codes are the same expenditures that have posted to your grant (fund 0100) account.
When you are creating a multiple-line document and you copy the information from one line to the next, review all lines to confirm that you have not copied more than you intended, such as a Program Code from a line for a grant to a line for a budgeted account. When allocating payroll in LCM and you copy a line, review the details copied to determine if the presence of a Program Code is appropriate for any line. Please seeFederal Grant Reconciliation Guidance for further information.