Latest update includes:
- PayInfo Scheduled Maintenance Monday, December 10
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 5
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact - Control the Opportunity Side of The Fraud Triangle
- Commonwealth’s Strategic Sourcing Certificate Program
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- MMARS Hint of the Week – Use Accounting Templates
PayInfo Scheduled Maintenance Monday, December 10
Due to scheduled system maintenance, PayInfo will be unavailable on Monday, December 10, from 6:30 – 8:30 A.M. Thank you for your understanding.
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 5
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 5 (November), FY2013 will be run on Saturday, December 8. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 5 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only), federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, December 1, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed, and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, December 3.
Weekly Fraud Awareness and Prevention Fact – Control the Opportunity Side of the Fraud Triangle
Of the three elements of the “Fraud Triangle” (opportunity, pressure/motivation, and rationalization), you have the most control over opportunity. To deter opportunity, segregate duties and analyze your Internal Controls.
Please visit the Fraud Prevention section of our Internal Controls Page for a link to the Toolkit for Departments to Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse and the Combat Fraud, Waste and Abuse Brochure.
If you have any questions regarding this or previous Fraud Awareness and Prevention Facts, please contact the Comptroller Help Desk at 617-973-2468 or via email Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US. To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
Commonwealth’s Strategic Sourcing Certificate Program
The Strategic Sourcing Certificate Program, an instructor-led course appropriate for all levels, is a five-day, thirty-hour training delivered over a three-month timeframe. With a curriculum built around conducting the procurement process in a strategic sourcing methodology, participants engage individually and in group activities with procurement officials from across state government. This Program is offered free of charge to all State Employees. To find out more, or to register, please click here or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
January - March 2013 Schedule
|Location||Day 1||Day 2||Day 3||Day 4||Day 5|
|Milford**||January 8||January 22||February 5||February 19||March 5|
|Randolph||January 9||January 23||February 6||February 20||March 6|
|Shirley||January 10||January 24||February 7||February 21||March 7|
|Shrewsbury*||January 14||January 28||February 11||February 25||March 11|
|Malden*||January 16||January 30||February 13||February 27||March 13|
|Boston||January 18||February 1||February 13||March 1||March 15|
*Limited Seats Available
**Class is full
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- Payroll User Group Meeting – Thursday, December 6, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 21st Floor Conference Room
- Webcast Payroll User Group Meeting – Thursday, December 6, 9:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M., Online Training
- Webcast How to Run a Warehouse Starter Query – Friday, December 7, 10:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M., Online Training
- Encumbrance Management – Monday, December 10, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Payment Management – Monday, December 10, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Vendor Management – Tuesday, December 11, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to State Finance MMARS Navigation – Wednesday, December 12, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Intro to MMARS Warehouse – Thursday, December 13, 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Webcast Interdepartmental Chargeback – Friday, December 14, 10:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M., Online Training
- Risk Management – Friday, December 14, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Conference Room B
- Intermediate MMARS Warehouse – Monday, December 17, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
- Fraud Awareness and Prevention – Tuesday, December 18, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Executive Conference Room
- Recurring Payments for Beginners – Tuesday, December 18, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. One Ashburton Place Boston, 9th Floor Training Lab
Register for these sessions via the Comptroller's Training and Meeting Schedule which lists classes scheduled for three months and Payroll User Groups through December 2013.
MMARS Hint of the Week - Use Accounting Templates
Accounting templates provide the ability to save frequently-used accounting line data for use in subsequent document creation. Templates can be used to standardize data entry and speed up the data entry process. Only Fund and Detail accounting fields are stored in an accounting template. Once an Accounting Template is applied, the data populates the appropriate fields upon Validating.
When using an accounting template, be sure to validate in order to populate the document with the template information
Note: The Create Template checkbox in the Document Catalog is NOT used for accounting templates.