- The purpose of this memo is to advise Institutions of Higher Education as to auditing and reporting guidance for FY2011.
- This is the 25th edition of instructions for financial reporting on Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) basis. The Instructions/GAAP Package provide guidance to departments on reporting year-end activity and obligations to the Comptroller's Office. The Comptroller's Office is responsible for publishing annual financial reports of the Commonwealth. The due date for submitting the GAAP Package is Monday, August 8, 2011.
- The statutory receivable instructions provide guidance to departments on reporting receivables due from a governmental body that are related to expenses incurred on or before June 30th and collected between July 1st and August 31st to the Comptroller's Office. The preliminary estimate is due on August 5th and the final report is due on September 2nd.
- The memo serves as the notice that the annual inventory of GAAP Capital Assets is underway. Several new reports requested by users have been put into production to assist with this effort. Every department must return a form confirming the review is complete.
- The purpose of this memo is to inform Departments of the methodology for distributing and recording HR/CMS Payroll charges in LCM and MMARS during the Accounts Payable period. To accommodate multi-year payroll processing, certain earnings codes will only charge to FY2011. This memo provides Payroll Directors detailed guidelines on how to charge FY2011 and FY2012. Please note that the instructions in this memo are issued consistent with State Finance Law which requires that Departments account for expenditures in the fiscal year in which the obligation is incurred.
- The Office of the Comptroller is responsible for the development and submission of the Statewide Cost Allocation Plan (SWCAP) required under the provisions of the Federal Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circular A-87. The SWCAP is a statistical method of allocating central government costs to the state agencies that receive central government supportive services. The FY2011 SWCAP has been reviewed and approved by the federal Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Cost Allocation (DCA).
The accompanying schedule (Exhibit A) identifies the approved costs that are associated with the general administration of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. State agencies that receive federal grants may claim these costs as an indirect cost of managing federal programs.
- The purpose of this memo is to inform Departments of the methodology for distributing and recording Payroll charges in HR/CMS and LCM/ MMARS during the Split-Year payroll period. The Split-Year Percentage (SYP) is 90% for FY2011 and 10% for FY2012, respectively. All reimbursements and leave-related earnings codes will charge to FY2011. Included is information about how payroll will distribute for employees terminating employment during Split-Year. This memo provides Payroll Directors detailed guidelines on how FY2011 and FY2012 payroll accounts will be charged.
- The purpose of this memo is to advise departments of the updated Standard Contract Form in effect as of this date which is available for immediate use for FY2012 business.
FY2011-21: Department Head Annual Approval - Statewide Enterprise Systems Security (issued 5/4/2011)Approval of transactions to "Final" status in the state financial systems serve as an affidavit from the Department Head to the Comptroller that transactions comply with State Finance Law and the documents are accurate and complete, the expenditure or other obligation is supported by sufficient legislatively authorized funds, is made in accordance with the Department's legislative mandates and funding authority, and complies with all applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures. Annually, Department Heads are asked to review and confirm employees (1) they have authorized to access, process and approve transactions in enterprise systems on their behalf, as well as (2) any other individual who can approve obligations and expenditures (execute contracts, signoff on payroll, incur obligations, authorize payments, etc.) on behalf of a Department Head even if said Department Head does not access enterprise systems themselves.
- This memo announces the release of the updated Expenditure Classification Handbook (ECH). Good Internal Controls require a regular review of all policies and guidance to assure that underlying business practice, law and regulation changes are properly reflected. A general review of the ECH has been conducted and it was determined that no sweeping changes to the structure or content of the book was necessary. This schedule is effective for May 2011 and forward.
- The Commonwealth's FY2010 Statewide Single Audit has been completed. We have noted several recurring themes to the findings prepared by the Office of the State Auditor and KPMG LLP, the independent audit firm. These are described below to allow departments to consider whether changes are needed in preparation for the FY2011 Single Audit, which will be starting soon.
FY2011-18: Internal Control Questionnaire and Department Representations: Due April 29, 2011 (issued 4/11/2011)This memo announces the FY2011 Internal Control Questionnaire (ICQ). Once again, the ICQ application will be accessed via our intranet site, the Comptroller Intranet. Departments should complete the ICQ on or before April 29, 2011.
- The purpose of this memo is to advise departments as to the late penalty interest rate for January 1, 2011 - June 30, 2011.
- The purpose of this memo is to provide information and guidance in the event of a federal government shutdown resulting from Congress not adopting a temporary funding measure for its fiscal year 2011. There could be some potential challenges for spending accounts in the General Federal Grants Fund, which the Executive Office for Administration and Finance (ANF) and the Comptroller's Office (CTR) are requesting planning measures and feedback from your agency.
- HR/CMS must be updated to comply with a number of IRS and DOR requirements regarding employer responsibilities for tax year 2011. This memo highlights the requirements and the necessary department actions to be compliant.
- The memo serves as the notice that mid-year inventory of GAAP Capital Assets is underway. Several new reports requested by users have been put into production to assist with this effort. Every department must return a form confirming the review is complete.
- This memo confirms the actions that will occur for Federal Income Tax reporting to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Social Security Administration (SSA), and for State Income Tax reporting to the Department of Revenue (DOR) for all 1099 reportable payments made from MMARS. This also serves as a reminder to departments that the Office of the Comptroller (CTR) is the Commonwealth’s Tax Clearinghouse.
- The purpose of this memo is to provide departments with instructions and important processing dates for year-end tax reporting and payroll processing.
- Enterprise systems provide access to sensitive data and allow users to process financial transactions. Annually, Security Officers are asked to review individuals that have access to these systems to ensure that they have correct and fiscally appropriate access.
- This memo announces the launch of the new Comptroller Intranet on November 19, 2010.
- The purpose of this memo is to update CFOs and MMARS Liaisons on the departments' utilization of the Commonwealth's Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) program in FY2011 and offer opportunities to expand use in FY2011.
FY2011-08: Drug-Free Workplace Act Annual Certification for Departments Receiving Federal Grants (issued 10/1/2010)This memo announces the Drug-Free Workplace Certification for Departments Receiving Federal Grants for federal fiscal year 2011.
- The purpose of this memo is to advise departments as to the late penalty interest rate for July 1, 2010 - December 31, 2010.
FY2011-06: American Recovery and Reinvestment Act -Accounting and Reporting Update # 3 (issued 8/19/2010)This is the third update of The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 ("ARRA" or "Federal Stimulus Funds") Accounting and Reporting Policy that was released on March 6, 2009 (See Federal Grants and Cost Accounting). It adds additional coding guidance for correcting codes on financial activity in MMARS.
- This memo provides guidance and information regarding the Office of the Comptroller's MMARS chargeback for FY2011 to support the operation of the financial accounting and reporting system for the Commonwealth.
- The purpose of this memo is to notify departments of the approved fringe benefit and payroll tax rates for FY2011. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has approved the fringe rate of 31.82% and a payroll tax rate of 1.91%.
- The Commonwealth is implementing a pre-tax program to provide a full option Qualified Transportation Benefit Program (QTBP) under IRS Code 132(f). This new and improved program will expand parking options to currently enrolled employees with Transit benefits and, for the first time, will provide expanded transit options to employees in addition to the MBTA. Enrollments of current and new employees into expanded Transit and Parking pre-tax benefits is now underway with July HR/CMS deductions being taken for August purchases.
- The FY2011 General Appropriation Act, Chapter 131 of the Acts of 2010, has been signed. This memo announces that July 1, 2010 is the official "opening date" of the accounting system. A deadline of July 30, 2010 is established for the alignment of encumbrances and expenditures with the enacted budget.
- The purpose of this memo is to advise departments of the fringe benefit and payroll tax rates proposed for FY2011.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.