FUNCTIONAL TITLE: Employer Services Representative
LOCATION: MTRS, One Charles Park, Cambridge
STARTING SALARY: $40,900.00
The Massachusetts Teachers’ Retirement System (MTRS) is the pension plan for the Commonwealth’s public school educators. The plan provides retirement, disability and survivor benefits to more than 60,000 recipients and maintains and services retirement accounts for more than 90,000 active members and 10,000 inactive members. On a monthly basis, the MTRS collects contributions and related data for all active members from more than 400 Massachusetts employers.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Under the supervision of the Director of the Employer Services, the Employer Services Representative serves employers and members of the Massachusetts Teachers’ Retirement System (MTRS) as part of the team responsible for monthly employer reporting, retiree insurance, active member enrollment and active member account maintenance.
The Employer Service Representative will be responsible for:
• Facilitating the monthly collection of deductions and corresponding data received from employers for eligible active member contributions to the system
• Educating and supporting employers
• Verifying membership eligibility qualifications
• Establishing new member records
• Confirming member contribution rates and reviewing data for the issuance of agency's annual member account statements
• Researching and reconciling errors in member accounts, processing the return of funds received in error and collecting contributions omitted in error
• Assisting other MTRS staff with account research
• Communicating via correspondence, telephone and email with school administrators, MTRS members, internal staff
• Compiling and providing statistical data for agency management
• Participating in service group meetings, work group committees, and training programs as assigned
• Supporting the processing of account transfers between the MTRS and other Massachusetts contributory retirement systems
• Assisting when needed with collection of retiree health insurance deductions and reporting for retirees that are sent to employers and the Group Insurance Commission on a monthly basis
• Occasionally traveling to school districts and the MTRS western office for meetings with employers and training seminars to groups of school business officials and administrators
• Excellent mathematical skills
• Commitment to quality service at all times
• Bachelor’s degree preferred, or equivalent relevant experience
• Ability to keep complex records and to prepare periodic reports from such records
• Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with the public: demonstrated writing skills; the ability to communicate complex information concisely and effectively in writing, in person or via telephone
• Accurate and swift data entry skills
• Ability to understand and interpret retirement laws and regulations
• Ability to follow instructions and function both independently and as a member of a team
• Ability to establish and maintain effective and congenial working relationships with employers, the membership, other members of the public and MTRS staff.
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (especially Excel) required and financial reporting software preferred
• Willingness to travel within the state
Selected applicants may be invited to take a test designed to evaluate their basic math, writing and computer skills. The MTRS is an equal opportunity employer.
The position will remain open until filled; however, first consideration will be given to those applicants who apply within the first 14 days. All applicants must apply for this job through MassCareers Job Opportunities at www.mass.gov/anf/employment-equal-access-disability/masscareers/masscareers.html.