Retirement Board ~ Administrative Assistant
(Part Time ~ 20/25 hours per week)
The Methuen Contributory Retirement Board is seeking a qualified individual to assist in the administration of the Methuen Contributory Retirement System. This individual would work under the supervision of the Methuen Contributory Retirement Board Analyst and the Methuen Contributory Retirement Board.
In order to effectively and successfully perform this job, an individual/candidate must possess very strong accounting and financial reporting skills, analytical and problem solving skills, excellent customer service and oral and written communication skills. The ability to exercise independent judgment and the ability to identify and refer impending problems to the Administrator is essential. The candidate must possess strong organizational and interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently and to prioritize work assignments in order to ensure their accurate and timely completion. Knowledge of M.G.L. Chapter 32, PERAC regulations and PTG computer software is desirable. The candidate must maintain a strict level of confidentiality.
• Enroll new members
• Compute and process refunds and transfers of member accounts
• Compute, process and track, purchases of service.
• Post member retirement deductions
• Interact with School and City payroll departments regarding relevant membership activity
• Correspond with members and retirees regarding various matters as required
• Maintain files on all active, inactive and retired members (paper, database and virtual)
• Maintain spreadsheets to track and balance currency activity, on retirement deductions , purchase payment plans and the monthly pension payroll for example
• Maintain a tracking system for individual activity
• Process the monthly retiree payroll, including applying and tracking changes
• Collect and maintain annual retiree affidavits
• Assist retirees in submitting information to Social Security
• Obtain death certificates for deceased retirees
• Correspond with various Retirement Systems, as needed
• Prepare monthly payment vouchers and warrants
• Prepare deposits for payment into system
• Mail 1099’s and any other major mailings
• Answer the phone
• Greet and assist when possible any walk-ins
• Process all outgoing mail
• Open and disseminate mail
• Order office supplies
• Prepare election materials for distribution when necessary
• Vet all outgoing payments to individuals through the Commonwealth’s Payment Intervention Program to ensure there are no outstanding debts impeding payments
• Assist the Retirement Board Analyst as required
• Possess the ability to develop a perspective and understanding of the responsibilities of the system as a whole as well as the tasks immediately at hand.
• Contribute ideas and or man power when needed.
• Ability to participate in open communication.
• Flexibility and the ability to prioritize
Salary Range: $31,301 to 36,610.
Position open until filled.
Please submit cover letter and resume to:
Thomas J. Kelly
City Auditor/Chairman Methuen Retirement Board
Searles Building Suite 303
41 Pleasant Street
Methuen, Ma. 01844
Cell Phone: 978-479-7982