Office of the State Treasurer and Receiver General
Department: State Retirement Board Job Title: Paralegal
Job Classification: Non-Exempt Reports To: Director of Legal Services /Senior Retirement Counsel.
I. PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Massachusetts State Retirement Board (MSRB) administers a defined benefit retirement plan for eligible employees of the Commonwealth and certain independent entities. The Paralegal position within the MSRB provides legal support services to the legal staff and senior management. The legal staff currently consists of Senior Board Counsel and two Associate Board Counsel. The Paralegal position will also administer member Group Classification requests in accordance with Board policy and regulations.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assist legal staff with administration of appeals filed by members of the State Employees’ Retirement System
• Serve as liaison between Board and the Division of Administrative Law Appeals and Contributory Retirement Appeal Board.
• Review, track and categorize all appeal filings and cases and maintain case management system.
• Assist the Board in responding to subpoenas or public records requests regarding members.
• Assist the Board attorneys and staff with preparation of internal & external hearings and related litigation.
• Prepare files and update as necessary.
• Gather documentation and information from State and Federal court systems and law enforcement agencies.
• Provide support at monthly Board meetings, including drafting of related member correspondence.
• Assist Board Hearing Officers
• Perform any other related legal tasks as required.
• Prepare and present Group Classification and pro-ration requests for monthly pre-Board and Board Meetings
• Notify members and employing agencies of Board action.
• Manage and research member requests from receipt to Board resolution.
• Work with agencies to obtain information regarding classification requests; conduct site visits when requested.
• Respond to member inquiries pertaining to Group Classification issues.
III. OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Prepare an annual report regarding the status Board cases.
• Participate in professional development programs and bar association programs.
• Develop working knowledge of OnBase scanning software, and MARIS computer systems
IV. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
V. KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Education required: B.A. or B.S. from accredited college preferred.
• License/certification: Paralegal certification. (May substitute with at least three years experience in paralegal/legal assistant position)
• Experience: Experience in law firm and/or governmental agency.
• Abilities/ skills: Strong written and verbal communication skills; excellent research and organizational skills.
Experience with administrative law, legislative process and promulgation of regulations preferred.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to HR@tre.state.ma.us with subject line PERAC Paralegal.